Poll: How much do HAIFers make?

Ralo

How much do HAIFers make?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. What is your annual salary before taxes? (exclude benefits, bonuses, etc)

• Less than $40000
    • Between $40,000 and $60,000
    • Between $60,000 and $80,000
    • Between $80,000 and $100,000
    • Over $100,000
  2. 2. Are you male or female?

• I am male
    • I am female
  3. 3. What is your race?

• White
    • Black
    • Hispanic (not white)
    • Asian
    • Indian
    • Middle Eastern
    • Other

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, unless some things break for me I will be exiting academia. It's noble and all, but salaries suck.

I hear you... I am part of this strange profession as well. My salary is so low it is embarrassing. But I love what I do. And I have a lot of time to spend with my kids. I really don't understand, though, why a college professor would make less than someone working at the help desk. Why are we so undervalued?

I hear you... I am part of this strange profession as well. My salary is so low it is embarrassing. But I love what I do. And I have a lot of time to spend with my kids. I really don't understand, though, why a college professor would make less than someone working at the help desk. Why are we so undervalued?

How can academics make so little when education is so expensive? I think you're hiding some skim under those mortar boards...

How can academics make so little when education is so expensive? I think you're hiding some skim under those mortar boards...

Admittedly, I work for a community college, so our tuition is a LOT less than other colleges and universities.

But you're right ... what is happening with all the money being raise by these yearly tuition increases?

• 3 weeks later...

Tenured faculty at four-year institutions aren't hurting for salary in many cases. I see lots of salaries for tenured and tenure-track faculty at even second-rate state four-year universities over $75,000 in my work; and there are a lot that are making over $100,000.

See, this is my personal "button." People are always whining about the cost of this and willing to pay for some luxury item, but we don't pay the people in our society that help educate the very people that will (god help us) replace is in a generation.

For the first couple of years out of college they are under constant financial stress due to college loans and are under attack from kids and apathetic parents. You add school administrators that seem to care more about their own careers and that damned TAKS test and its a wonder that we can get anyone to teach in that field to begin with.

But put in a plan to give teachers a raise and improve (or build) schools, people will, most of the time vote no.

Seems like the teachers that stick it out are the ones that actually want to be there, though. And for K-12, that's really what is important, because the system is so screwed up at present that the education provided just isn't very useful...it's more like a minimum-security prison to which all kids (good and bad) are sentenced. People that are not intrinsically motivated shouldn't be prison guards for that population--lest the ones motivated by solely by money ____ up the lives of good kids by being too strict, too lax, or just not caring enough.

Besides which, teachers (K-12 and Post-Secondary) really aren't paid terribly if you take into account how much time they're actually working. They do get quite a bit in the way of perks on that end.

Who are "the others" :ph34r:

hybrid folks like myself

1/4 japanese

1/4 hispanic

1/4 irish

1/4 native american

110% AMERICAN ^_^

where is the broke, college student option?

that was me a couple years ago, hang in there

Tenured faculty at four-year institutions aren't hurting for salary in many cases. I see lots of salaries for tenured and tenure-track faculty at even second-rate state four-year universities over $75,000 in my work; and there are a lot that are making over $100,000.

ugg, I've seen quite a few prof's treat the tenure system like it's welfare, they just show up to collect their checks & get students to do ALL the research. Pretty uninspiring.

My best teacher's were in high school and a few profs that had been teaching since the 70's.

I'm just left wondering if 80% HAIF members are really white males, or if those are the only HAIFers who voted. Hmm... :ph34r:

I reckon that's probably statistically valid. It's a special club. Many of the HAIF females have been mistaken for men. :)

Now, what is far more disturbing is Niche's old poll (this came up in another thread recently ) about Myers-Briggs types. It's an intellectual freakshow on the HAIF.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Seems like the teachers that stick it out are the ones that actually want to be there, though. And for K-12, that's really what is important, because the system is so screwed up at present that the education provided just isn't very useful...it's more like a minimum-security prison to which all kids (good and bad) are sentenced. People that are not intrinsically motivated shouldn't be prison guards for that population--lest the ones motivated by solely by money ____ up the lives of good kids by being too strict, too lax, or just not caring enough.

Besides which, teachers (K-12 and Post-Secondary) really aren't paid terribly if you take into account how much time they're actually working. They do get quite a bit in the way of perks on that end.

I think "good" teachers are rare. I would consider a teacher who is strict, but fair, teaches the proper material needed for the class, helps and anwsers questions a "good" teacher. Had 6 my entire high school career. However, 4 of them I would rate "these are the kind of people you never forget for inspiring you in so many ways".

Which I'm not bitching, I was lucky to have them. That's a lot more then many people could say.

But generally (in the KISD, which is suppose to be so grand), the teachers were only there to watch us for 45 minutes and tell us what to do. And certain coaches should not be allowed to teach. It's a shame... I remember some would come to "work" with bad attitudes, of course if I had to deal with my old classmates all day, I would probably pull out my hair too.

But good teaching is a matter of opinion. Hell more is to blame on the kids (that are hell bent on making their peers & teachers angry) and parents.

Of course, certain principals are to blame as well, won't mention names, but when my friend's camera got stolen, they refused to investigate because the kid who stole it had a football scholarship. What a load of crap. Thank god I got out when I did, it seemed like every year got worse and worse.

Ok sorry, end of crap that few will read.

• 1 year later...

I wish it was Geronimo ... much more exciting, but it's Gandhi...sorry.

Genetic inclination to both alcoholism and obesity is pretty exciting...

Anyhow, mate with someone whose family has been in this country for at least four generations. Unless they have an Ozark-styled family tree, at least your children will likely have American Indian blood in them. Then if someone asks them dots or feathers, they can say, "Both!"

Anyhow, mate with someone whose family has been in this country for at least four generations. Unless they have an Ozark-styled family tree, at least your children will likely have American Indian blood in them. Then if someone asks them dots or feathers, they can say, "Both!"

Alcoholism, check! ( Why don't they have a check mark in the symbols library? ) Very exciting. I'm actually at Spec's DT, and you might guess what I'm purchasing ( Have cart ).

Dots & feathers tryst ....Wow! Can't wait for the transformation... then ALL Indians would yell at you while they're kicking your ass!

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

"American Indian".... as opposed to American African, American Brazilian or American German? Not to be too particular, but it would be Indian American, unless you are referring to Native Americans. Man It's a good thing Columbus didn't think he had landed in China instead of India then we could have "two Chinese's" :)

If you think this is bad, go check out the Heights Walmart thread or the thread about building apartments in Katy. This thread looks like the UN on ecstasy by comparison.

As a white dude and noob in here, I too am beginning to getting those vibes. I know at times there are some who will call it their thinly veiled attempt at sarcasm. Someone in here told me once, "we want you to understand the 'nuances' of our members first, before we ALLOW you to post in our delicate forum rooms". I am beginning to feel I may understand the why of that far too much. But like a bad meal in a restaurant I tend to give all a second or third stab at it.

Also, I understand that a for-profit company needs this info for their advertisers. I would think with the humor I run across and most posters own "screams" at how slued polls are that this poll also will reflect nada.

• 4 months later...

Archived