Poll: How much do HAIFers make?

Ralo

How much do HAIFers make?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. What is your annual salary before taxes? (exclude benefits, bonuses, etc)

• Less than $40000
    • Between $40,000 and $60,000
    • Between $60,000 and $80,000
    • Between $80,000 and $100,000
    • Over $100,000
  2. 2. Are you male or female?

• I am male
    • I am female
  3. 3. What is your race?

• White
    • Black
    • Hispanic (not white)
    • Asian
    • Indian
    • Middle Eastern
    • Other

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although this survey is interesting, it is not as informative as it might have been if the person designing it had constructed it so that it produced cross tabulation (cross tab) results and displayed two or more variables in a contigency table. That way, we would have been able to see what percentages of each category (e.g. male and female) fell into particular salary ranges, or what racial/ethnic groups fell into particular salary ranges). As currently constructed, we can only tell what percentage of all respondents fall into a certain salary range, instead of what percentage of women fall into a certain range, what percentage of men fall into a certain range, what percentage of Hispanic, or white or Black fall into a certain salary range. I don't know how to construct a survey using HAIF tools, so I don't know if it is possible to construct a survey that can produce contigency tables, but were it possible, the data produced would be far more revealing than what has been produced so far.

Although this survey is interesting, it is not as informative as it might have been if the person designing it had constructed it so that it produced cross tabulation (cross tab) results and displayed two or more variables in a contigency table. That way, we would have been able to see what percentages of each category (e.g. male and female) fell into particular salary ranges, or what racial/ethnic groups fell into particular salary ranges). As currently constructed, we can only tell what percentage of all respondents fall into a certain salary range, instead of what percentage of women fall into a certain range, what percentage of men fall into a certain range, what percentage of Hispanic, or white or Black fall into a certain salary range. I don't know how to construct a survey using HAIF tools, so I don't know if it is possible to construct a survey that can produce contigency tables, but were it possible, the data produced would be far more revealing than what has been produced so far.

It was my first poll but it appears one can only include up to three separate questions/criteria and I doubt the tool allows any merging of that criteria so one can only draw very broad conclusions such as:

Most HAIFers who responded to this poll were white males and appear to make healthy salaries compared to the usual averages (at this time 25% claim they make more than $100k and 54% claim to make more than $60k).

This brings me back to one of my reasons for posting. In reading MSN articles, Liz Pulliam Weston, Dave Ramsey talk show, or internet based sources of salary information the numbers for family income are low compared to what individuals (and families) usually claim they make (to me - in person and now via this poll).

From that we can either conclude that folks who disseminate their salaries to me personally and via this poll either:

1) fudge the numbers or

2) that the information I obtain (via internet, radio, and acquaintances) is incorrect or

3) that the respondents really do make much more than the averages and perhaps this is tied to demographics, educational level, profession, age, etc. or

4) perhaps the comparison is not a valid one since HAIFers so far represent a specific segment of the population (primarily white males) that, in spite of living in Houston (low cost of living) - are high earners, and could be white-collar workers, highly educated, and perhaps are drawn to particular high paying industries and, therefore, should not be compared to a segment that might be considerably broader and one in which the masses of lower level income earners could bring down the overrall averages. This conclusion appears to be the most valid to me.

I agree that it would be more helpful and informative if we could tie in educational level, industry, age, and all the other relevant factors into the poll but I don't believe it is possible here although there may be a roundabout way of getting more specifics. I could create a survey and ask that only people who met certain criteria such as degreed individuals, belonging to a specific age bracket, and members of a particular race and gender respond. This survey would then have to be repeated for other races and the other gender so it could take multiple surveys and, after a given time limit, I could then consolidate the findings into one post. Nah . . . it's too much trouble and can you imagine all the flak I would get if went down that path?

I understand that the HAIF tools do not allow for the creation of a survey that can yield more complex cross tabs and can see that most of the respondents are white males. I wasn't looking for including more variables such as age, educational level, industry type because given the small number of respondents the number of observations in these combinations would have rendered that analysis meaningless. I would have found it interesting, however, to know what percentage of the women, or Hispanics or Blacks who responded were high earners compared the percentages of high earners who were male. But it appears that you are satisfied with the data the survey produced, which since you created the survey, is really what matters.

Perhaps Editor could put together a survey for new and existing HAIFers to complete from which we could get a larger sample size, an even greater degree of anonymity, and questions about age, educational attainment, occupation, home/work locations, or other factors. It might help him target better advertising and it would be of at least general interest to us.

Why is there never an option for hispanic/white?
On Census and other federal government forms, there usually is.
Perhaps Editor could put together a survey for new and existing HAIFers to complete from which we could get a larger sample size, an even greater degree of anonymity, and questions about age, educational attainment, occupation, home/work locations, or other factors. It might help him target better advertising and it would be of at least general interest to us.
Such a poll already exists. Just follow this link.

Yes, if more people fill out the poll we get better quality and higher paying advertisers. One of my ad companies is always bugging me about it because HAIFers don't fill it out enough.

There's more information about the poll in this thread, including the results of the survey as of June 22nd.

By "hispanic/white", do you mean a hispanic that would consider themselves more white than black, asian, pacific islander, native american, or a mix of two or more races, or by "hispanic/white", do you mean two or more races?

The way the Census counts hispanics as a race isn't very intuitive, but it does make sense if you think about it.

If the person who created this survey had used the census bureau categories, there would be a racial category and a separate category for ethnicity. The census bureau doesn't consider Hispanic/Latino to be a racial category, but a category of ethnicity.

The notion of race is highly contested among academics. Anthropologists, who once vigorously promoted the idea of race and based it on visible traits, are now backing away from the idea of race based on phenotype arguing instead that race is socially constructed. Geneticists, on the other hand, are claiming that race is a viable category best organized by DNA analysis.

As used by the US census bureau, race is intended to reflect a social definition of race recognized in the US. In 2000, the US census categories were White, Black/African American, American Indian/ Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian/ Pacific Islander

The US census bureau considers Hispanic/Latino Non-Hispanic/Latino to be a category of ethnicity. A person can be Hispanic/Latino regardless of race. So a Dominican or Puerto Rican could be Hispanic/Latino (ethnicity) and White (race) or alternately could be Hispanic/Latino (ethnicity) and Black (race).

On Census and other federal government forms, there usually is.Such a poll already exists. Just follow this link.

Yes, if more people fill out the poll we get better quality and higher paying advertisers. One of my ad companies is always bugging me about it because HAIFers don't fill it out enough.

There's more information about the poll in this thread, including the results of the survey as of June 22nd.

Done.

<br />Is the correct plural form of honky 'honkys' or 'honkies'?<br />

unfortunately, webster's dictionary wasn't ve y clear on that. sadly i debated that spelling for awhile and almost used "crackers," but couldn't type it without giggling.

"Its full of crackers!" just didn't cut it, honky.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, don't it.

Yeah, but that was beer and Exlax. Nasty combination. A great trick to give to your friends.

So, which is it?

Honky's?

Honkies?

Honkys'?

Honki?

Honkers?

Honkarama?

Honkapalusa?

Honkamatic?

Or should I put up a poll, honky? :)

So, which is it?

Honky's?

Honkies?

Honkys'?

Honki?

Honkers?

Honkarama?

Honkapalusa?

Honkamatic?

Or should I put up a poll, honky? :)

I don't know really, but don't ever call me late for dinner. ;)

Re: "What is your race"I'm surrounded by honky's!
It is a cracker sausage fest! :lol:
isn't indian the same as asian? or did you mean feathers, not dots?
I think the "Indian" they refer too really means Native American, to get all PC on ya.Then again, Asian "Indian" should be Middle eastern maybe, is India and Pakistan part of the Middle East?
Then again, Asian "Indian" should be Middle eastern maybe, is India and Pakistan part of the Middle East?
Answered my own question.Pakistan yes, India no.Just so you know, Indian's hate being called "Paki!"I learned that from "Bend it Like Beckham"

Archived