Perry signs religion-in-schools bill

musicman

Gov. Rick Perry conducted a ceremonial signing of House Bill 3678 aimed at reaffirming students' rights to express religious viewpoints. Perry officially signed the bill, also known as the Religious Viewpoints Anti-Discrimination Act, in June.

The bill does not create a new law but rather provides a model policy that school districts can adopt.

"What it does is create a win-win situation for the schoolchildren, school administrators and the taxpayers of the state of Texas," Howard said. Many school districts across the state, he said, have been sued by parents after children were prohibited from talking about their faith, saying "Merry Christmas" or handing out religious Valentine's Day cards.

Using case law and U.S. Supreme Court decisions, the bill lays out what is admissible in Texas schools. The Supreme Court has ruled that religious discussion in schools is legal.

full article

Gov. Rick Perry conducted a ceremonial signing of House Bill 3678 aimed at reaffirming students' rights to express religious viewpoints. Perry officially signed the bill, also known as the Religious Viewpoints Anti-Discrimination Act, in June.

The bill does not create a new law but rather provides a model policy that school districts can adopt.

"What it does is create a win-win situation for the schoolchildren, school administrators and the taxpayers of the state of Texas," Howard said. Many school districts across the state, he said, have been sued by parents after children were prohibited from talking about their faith, saying "Merry Christmas" or handing out religious Valentine's Day cards.

Using case law and U.S. Supreme Court decisions, the bill lays out what is admissible in Texas schools. The Supreme Court has ruled that religious discussion in schools is legal.

full article

Great news. Freedom of religion, I love it.

oh well, it could be worse - like working religion in to school time through a pledge or something :rolleyes:

here's a little sample of the bill (HB3678):

Sec. 25.152.

A LIMITED PUBLIC FORUM; SCHOOL DISTRICT POLICY.

(a)To ensure that the school district does not discriminate

against a student

Yeah, all of us in Santa Fe ISD are painfully aware of that constitutional right. Several wing nut religious types on our school board thought it was their divine calling to fight two student's parents all the way to the Supreme Court several years ago just to prove that point. These idiots forgot that they were elected by the people, not appointed by God. We promptly reminded them of that at the next available election.

I did not read the bill and just assumed, my bad. I was doing some research on a paper and found this little boy got in trouble and started this big deal because the teacher asked to bring in his favoriate book and it was the Bible. I was mad about that and I thought that was wrong.

Gov. Rick Perry conducted a ceremonial ...full article

So once again musicman has pasted from the Chron with no comment. Any of us could do that all day long...but most of us don't unless we have a publicly expressed thought or opinion to follow the paste. So does eating up bandwith by posting from a source most of us already access add to the value HAIF already offers? Does it ever occur to you that this forum doesn't need your prodding by way of a second hand public paste to generate thoughtful discussion? There is little worth in taking up bandwidth via repitition. It's a practice that thankfully most of us don't practice.

Yeah, all of us in Santa Fe ISD are painfully aware of that constitutional right. Several wing nut religious types on our school board thought it was their divine calling to fight two student's parents all the way to the Supreme Court several years ago just to prove that point. These idiots forgot that they were elected by the people, not appointed by God. We promptly reminded them of that at the next available election.

So in other words, the people protecting freedom of religion won at the US Supreme Court?

So once again musicman has pasted from the Chron with no comment. Any of us could do that all day long...but most of us don't unless we have a publicly expressed thought or opinion to follow the paste. So does eating up bandwith by posting from a source most of us already access add to the value HAIF already offers? Does it ever occur to you that this forum doesn't need your prodding by way of a second hand public paste to generate thoughtful discussion? There is little worth in taking up bandwidth via repitition. It's a practice that thankfully most of us don't practice.
:lol: lol
come on vert, i mean red.
You mean to say that I bring up religion on Haif? Please explain.I have only discussed status on the new church construction downtown. You mean that is discussing religion? Please explain for all viewers.

You mean to say that I bring up religion on Haif? Please explain.I have only discussed status on the new church construction downtown. You mean that is discussing religion? Please explain for all viewers.

his post was an exaggeration....as have been many of your recent ones. ;)

his post was an exaggeration....as have been many of your recent ones. ;)

Wow, I didn't think I was that interesting. It would be great if you started noting all the comments/topics, etc where you are convinced I am exagerrating. Isn't it odd that numerous others back up some of my comments? When I speak of crime in certain areas, it is truthfull. Let's see I even placed real historical photographs to detail the cities past and this is also exagerration? Theres more to it than that I'm afraid.

When I do exaggarate a little, I normally note that it is in jest. Not to be taken seriously.

I all is in the readers attitude. Again, if you wish, create a list of subjects and let me know so we can go over them. I could go on but I don't believe in public humiliation.

OR you know what, I will forget all of this and let's move on and forget it ever happened. I hate how others here carry on grudges. Childish

Wow, I didn't think I was that interesting. It would be great if you started noting all the comments/topics, etc where you are convinced I am exagerrating. Isn't it odd that numerous others back up some of my comments? When I speak of crime in certain areas, it is truthfull. Let's see I even placed real historical photographs to detail the cities past and this is also exagerration? Theres more to it than that I'm afraid.

When I do exaggarate a little, I normally note that it is in jest. Not to be taken seriously.

I all is in the readers attitude. Again, if you wish, create a list of subjects and let me know so we can go over them. I could go on but I don't believe in public humiliation.

OR you know what, I will forget all of this and let's move on and forget it ever happened. I hate how others here carry on grudges. Childish

to compare blacks in pearland as people who just stepped out of TDC is an exaggeration IMO or is that exaggerating a little?

to compare blacks in pearland as people who just stepped out of TDC is an exaggeration IMO or is that exaggerating a litte?

Its best you go to the very beginning of this topic and reread. I never said blacks. Other people named the races, not me.

Common sense tells anyone that prisons have ALL races behind bars. When I visited the Target store, I saw more trailor trash than any other. These are the men I was referring to. Why are you so concerned about Pearland anyway? Just get over it. Get to work.

Its best you go to the very beginning of this topic and reread. I never said blacks. Other people named the races, not me.

Common sense tells anyone that prisons have ALL races behind bars. When I visited the Target store, I saw more trailor trash than any other. These are the men I was referring to. Why are you so concerned about Pearland anyway? Just get over it. Get to work.

and all these other races looked like they stepped out of TDC? what does a person from TDC resemble....a shopper in pearland? or is this a little exaggeration too? Oh wait, you don't exaggerate. B)

and all these other races looked like they stepped out of TDC? what does a person from TDC resemble....a shopper in pearland? or is this a little exaggeration too? Oh wait, you don't exaggerate. B)

Lets start with tatoos up and down the whole body, gangsta attire, swagger. Your not that naive get real. Well they look just like the ones around Gulfgate area. To clarify these thugs were blended in with very conservative looking people in that specific store. Untwist some of your silly out of context exaggerated phrases.

You have really hijacked this one big time, good lord. OOpps I said Lord , now I'm a religious fanatic huh? making this forum a tabloid magazine. Stop trying to make others look like bad guys.

To clarify these thugs were blended in with very conservative looking people in that specific store. Untwist some of your silly out of context exaggerated phrases.

exaggerated phrases like....

Anyway, this was real, not imagined and no exagerrating. These men were well over 40 yrs old but appeared to be straight out of TDC or the like.
Stop trying to make others look like bad guys.

i'll leave that to you.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a difference between the right to express personal religious beliefs and making it a large public show like it was at Santa Fe's football games.

If it was a Muslim leading a prayer they would have started a riot there and shut it down.

Marian Ward (sp?) could have just handed out flyers to her church or whatever at the gates and it'd all be cool. In Texas City I used to get stopped by church people roaming Ninth Avenue after the football game. No Supreme Court battles there.

Archived