Glass Wall Restaurant At 933 Studewood St.

heights_yankee

My hubby and I read an article several months ago that talked about a new, chef owned restaurant (possibly being called Glass Wall) being built at 10 1/2 and Studewood. Well, a couple months later, we saw a slab being poured and got very excited to have another pedestrian-friendly option from our home... Then, after several weeks of construction, walls started to go up and with them an Allegro homebuilders sign! Would they really be putting townhomes (doesn't look like a single family) right there? Does anyone know anything about the restaurant or the construction? I'm all for any kind of development along that strip. Just wondering what the deal is...

Also, while I was trying to find my own answer, I came across this local restaurant message board. Everyone here seems to like food, so I thought I would post it :D

Houston Restaurant Reviews

Yeah, I got faked out by that, too. I think it is actually 10th and Studewood, but the fact remains that it is clearly townhome construction and not a restaurant. I even put a post on here somewhere saying the rest. construction started.

But that sign clearly says Allegro.

Wow- thanks! I had no idea Allegro was doing commercial as well. As much as I don't really like what they're doing residentially, I bet they'll bring a different look to the commercial buildings that are popping up all across the Heights. Who needs one more pink, brick strip center?

Go look at the rendering in the Sunday business section. It is very interesting. Definitely not your basic strip center. Looks to be a recreation of several thin buildings set next to each other, townhome style, similar to what you see downtown on the historic section of Main Street.

Go look at the rendering in the Sunday business section. It is very interesting. Definitely not your basic strip center. Looks to be a recreation of several thin buildings set next to each other, townhome style, similar to what you see downtown on the historic section of Main Street.

Do you have a link? I couldn't find it... :(

I'm sorry. I meant the rendering that is shown in the print edition of the Sunday Chronicle.

I'll take the paper to work to attempt a scan. I make no promises, however.

oh- well that would explain it. :blush:

I'd hate for you to have to go through any trouble with the scan. I only read the Chron on line, but maye someone at my office has the print copy. It will be really great to see it!

This is just a guess but I don't think Allegro is launching into the commercial business. I imagine they are moving from their Heights Blvd. office to the new space on Studewood. The office on Heights is nice but as they have grown, it is probably getting small.

• 3 weeks later...

The rumors are in fact, true. there is a fantastic new restaurant being built at 10th and Studewood. It will be called Glass Wall and the chef/owner is the well known Lance Fegen. My name is Shepard Ross and I am Lance's General Manager. Lance and I both live in the Heights and are committed to providing a unique chef driven dining experience for our neighbors. We are looking forward to contributing to a great community that we both love. The website with more info will be up shortly. Spread the word!!!! Hope to see you all there.

- Shepard Ross

Friendly Neighborhhood General Manager

Glass Wall The Restaurant

The rumors are in fact, true. there is a fantastic new restaurant being built at 10th and Studewood. It will be called Glass Wall and the chef/owner is the well known Lance Fegen. My name is Shepard Ross and I am Lance's General Manager. Lance and I both live in the Heights and are committed to providing a unique chef driven dining experience for our neighbors. We are looking forward to contributing to a great community that we both love. The website with more info will be up shortly. Spread the word!!!! Hope to see you all there.

- Shepard Ross

Friendly Neighborhhood General Manager

Shepard,

Welcome aboard !!! As someone living in the Heights - I can't wait for your restaurant to open...Keep us informed - maybe a special HAIF night is in the works !!!!

Shepard,

Welcome aboard !!! As someone living in the Heights - I can't wait for your restaurant to open...Keep us informed - maybe a special HAIF night is in the works !!!!

I promise more info as it happens. We are working hard to finish and open as soon as possible. Website should be up shortly. We are very excited to meet our neighbors!

Good Afternoon,

hope your day goes well !

I am also a Heights resident and love easy commute dining !

What will your menu consist of ?

Thank You

Lance has always been an advocate of American cuisine. He loves to add influences he gathers while travelling, and you are sure to see many Hawaiian, Costa Rican, and Mediterranean influences on the menu. We are working on the menu, as we speak. We are both excited to bring an innovative, fun, dining environment to our favorite neighborhhod. - Shepard Ross

• 3 weeks later...
Shepard... I'm guessing you're the same from Zula downtown?? if so then I definitely will be coming to this place when it opens... you guys did a fantastic job with the food at my wedding in Boaka Bar 3+ years ago...

I am in fact, that same "Shepard". After working as General Manager for 3 1/2 years, Zula was sold to new ownership in September. I left soon after to team up with Chef Lance Fegen on The Glass Wall project in the Heights. Both Lance and I are Heights residents and committed to the community. We look forward to providing an upscale, relaxed, fine dining atmosphere. This project is all about personalized service. We are in the hospitality business, and it will show, trust me. We are looking at opening around mid March. Hope to see you there.

Shepard Ross

General Manager

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent.... I'll mention it to my wife... she was very pleased with how you guys handled our wedding and moreso the hospitality you showed us when we visited Zula to sample the food after deciding upon Boaka as our wedding location...

Hopefully you'll remember us... I doubt you guys did many weddings at Boaka!

• 1 month later...

I drive by this location pretty much everyday and have been mointoring the progress. Yesterday, I saw tables and chairs set up. There are boxes of glassware stacked on the bar. We haven't seen any kind of "Now Hiring" sign but maybe they're already staffed. Either way, they've made some serious progress in the last couple weeks. It can't be too long now until the opening...

My wife and I stopped by Glasswall this morning while out for a run. The place has really come together over the past week. Everything seems to be unboxed and ready for service. There did not appear to be any liquor at the bar yet, but I am sure this will some become a great spot to catch up with neighbors. We can't wait until they open, which could be any day now.

This is what we need in the Heights; more local independent restaurants.

Hats off to the team at Glasswall!

I drive by this location pretty much everyday and have been mointoring the progress. Yesterday, I saw tables and chairs set up. There are boxes of glassware stacked on the bar. We haven't seen any kind of "Now Hiring" sign but maybe they're already staffed. Either way, they've made some serious progress in the last couple weeks. It can't be too long now until the opening...

There were some posts up on Craig's List looking for staff for the glass wall. I happened by the restaurant yesterday as well -- it looks just about ready to open for business. Can't wait to have a new restaurant in the Heights.

Hopefully the ongoing street work on Studewood won't be an issue. Not sure how the parking situation is going to work out for them either.

There were some posts up on Craig's List looking for staff for the glass wall. I happened by the restaurant yesterday as well -- it looks just about ready to open for business. Can't wait to have a new restaurant in the Heights.

Hopefully the ongoing street work on Studewood won't be an issue. Not sure how the parking situation is going to work out for them either.

Studewood is mostly done. They are putting in sidewalks, but the street is finished. Parking will be in front of, and behind the restaurant. Clearly, overflow will be going down 10th Street. The bar looked nice from the street. Looks a little too fancy to get a drink under $5, though. That seems to be the new standard.

:(

I had the good fortune to attend a mock dinner at Glass Wall on Saturday night. It was very fun. The general manager was very pleasant. The food was very good and the service was too. I had a crab cake appetizer and the ribeye. My wife had shrimp risotto and grilled halibut. My sons shared my crab cake and split a quarter of chicken with asparagus.

I took my sons (5 and 2) and my daughter (5 months). I don't know if I would recommend Glass Wall as a family place but the staff was very accomodating. My kids almost, pretty much, kind of behaved. We had to take the silverware, plates and napkin from my 2 year old and had one (only) spilled glass of wine but that part of the evening is another story.

The facility is very nice. Paolo (GM, can't remember his last name) told me that they are 'loading' the bar on Wednesday, plan to have another run through or two and then they will open, probably this week or weekend.

A pleasant addition to the neighborhood. We were very pleased.

Archived