HEB Barker Cypress/FM 529 Store

No, it won't have any effect on that locaton.

Also, I just found out the new HEB at Coles Crossing will have a Cafe on the Run.

I have asked several people and they say it will close, where did you information come from? if I can ask.

I can't see closing either since there is a Kroger and a new Walmart in the near future.

That other store is 10-15 minutes away and serves an entirely different market. I doubt they would close it.

Call the local HEB Public Affairs office:

Cyndy Garza-Robert

713-329-3920

The Coles Crossing HEB is their only store located between 249 and 290. They're going to need another one up near Fairfield. I don't even know where Fairfield people shop right now. I believe they have a future one planned to go in near 290 and the planned Grand Parkway. The other new HEB at Vintage Park will be great too. Right now, we have to drive all the way to the Louetta & Stuebner location. Now I'll have two stores about equidistant from where I live in Longwood.

• 2 months later...
I don't even know where Fairfield people shop right now.

We moved to Fairfield in 2001. At that time we shopped at Wal-Mart at 1960 and N. Eldridge. We later switched to Randall's at Coles Crossing and now shop at Kroger on Spring Cypress at 290.

The new HEB at Coles Crossing will be nice but we will stay at Kroger only picking up random / specials from HEB. Maybe Kroger won't be as crowded now!!

• 6 years later...

Welcome to HAIF!

From what I can tell, the H-E-B at Barker-Cypress and 290 only opened in 2007 and although small, is very much still open. It's possible that the "other H-E-B" they referred to could've referred to the Fairfield H-E-B, of which signs were up in spring 2008 (though at a slightly different point than the store that opened in late 2012). Originally that H-E-B was to open to the northwest of the outlet mall (which was finishing construction and/or just opening at the time).

• 1 month later...

Thank you IronTiger!

I'm talking about the old HEB at the corner of 529 and Barker Cypress. It's across the street from Kroger and Specs liquor in the Barker Cypress marketplace. It's definitely closed and appears all but forgotten as the building has what looks like mold on the outside of it. Honestly, I'd love to see the whole Barker Cypress marketplace leveled and a new large HEB put in its place, but I'm sure that won't happen. I'm just curious if anybody has heard of any plans as it looks like HEB's lease on the space ends on January 1, 2014.

• 1 month later...

An article I found stated that the original Pantry opened in 1999, and in the 2000s had a gas station there as well. It's very strange--the Fairfield one is about as far away as it is. Really too bad they let it go fallow and the lease lapse...seems like a great location and size for a Central Market.

The rumor in the grocery biz is that it will become a Joe V's smart shop. Joe V's is owned by HEB. It is typicaly a smaller store with not a wide variety but cheap prices. In the last few months they have removed the graffiti that was by the entry and put the chain link fence up. Also late last year their were electrical contractors working inside the building. Not sure if that has anything to do with the Joe V's or just maintenance. The last few times I drove by I did not see a For Lease sign that used to be front of it. With the Heb lease ending on Jan 1 2014  they can try and get a better deal from the landlords. I have heard Joe V's is supposed to open 3 stores this year while HEB is supposed to open 5-6.

From West Houston Archives, I found this shot:

Album%2015%20Pic%2023.jpg

I think that the "only open for a year or two" may have stemmed from that there must have been a renovation/rebrand around 2005 that added a new facade and erased the Pantry name from it, as it isn't on that shot.

Thanks guys! I think there is some work being done, the old pharmacy entrance that's painted blue in your picture I believe was recently painted white. I guess that means they don't simply plan to demolish it. Hope a JoeV's won't bring down the property values....

• 4 months later...

I saw that! HEB's lease was supposed to run out at the beginning of this year. Guess the building owners had them on the hook. Will be very interesting to see if anything goes in there or if any seasonal stores will occupy the space. The empty building just sitting there decaying is pretty unsightly.

I'd love to see them level the entire marketplace and build something new.

• 6 months later...

It is the fervent wish of many in The Leader area – a supersized H-E-B like the one in Bunker Hill. Every time a multiple acre property comes on the market, people suggest online and elsewhere that it would be a perfect spot for the San Antonio headquartered grocer.

In January 2014, the supermarket chain officially denied the rumor to The Leader that it would be adding a store in the Garden Oaks area in place of the Sears at 4000 N. Shepherd.

“We’re always looking for property, but it has to be the right property,” Director of H-E-B’s Public Affairs Cyndy Garza-Roberts told The Leader in 2014. “We would love to be in that area.”

More recently, Garza-Roberts denied that the chain was looking to move into the space across from the Sawyer Heights Target.

So what exactly is H-E-B looking for in a location? We asked Garza-Roberts for some of their basic strategies and guidelines.

First the acreage. She said H-E-B looks for a minimum of six acres when building a store.

“We need that amount of space to insure that we can provide adequate parking for our customers,” said Garza-Roberts.

They also need population density that that will insure enough customers and sales for them to meet our financial model. The Leader delivers to over 70,000 homes. Seems dense enough to us.

When asked if the area would ever hit the H-E-B jackpot – a location in the GOOF and in the Heights, Garza-Roberts said that building a store in the Heights would not preclude them from looking in the Garden Oaks area.

“We have an interest in both neighborhoods – the Heights and Garden Oaks,” said Garza-Roberts. “One of the challenges we face in the Heights is that much of the area is ‘dry’ – meaning we would be prevented from selling beer/wine. This makes finding a location there problematic.”

When asked about the former Pinemont Park and Ride, a 15 acre property that METRO is putting up for sale, mum was the word.

“We do not comment on real estate locations we may or may not be pursuing,” she said.

Some speculate that the park and ride, with frontage on Pinemont Drive and on Federal Plaza Drive, is too far from the heart of the GOOF to be a viable option. But we shall see.

And no Lazybrook H-E-B, we didn’t forget about you. Garza-Roberts said that they have no plans to expand the location at 1511 W. 18th St.

“The size of the parking lot would not support a larger size store,” she said.

Eventually it’s got to happen though right? And then we’ll all start asking for a Trader Joes.

http://www.theleadernews.com/index.php/h-e-b-goof-not-reality-time-soon/

:(

The HEB Pantry is still on the west side of the Heights. And Randalls should be getting better.

The HEB on 18th is a grim hell hole full of lower end merchandise. It's hard to believe it's operated by the same outfit that runs Central Market. The nearest Randalls is at Westheimer and Shepherd, which is not convenient to the Greater Heights area, especially with Shepherd being torn up for rebuilding.

I measured out the size of the Montrose H-E-B in a maps program and hovered it around the Heights area looking for the right area to drop it. If it were to say, replace Foodarama, it would take up most of the lot, and require both that the Philips 66 be torn down and there to be basement parking. A replacement of the H-E-B's shopping center would work but you'll never find a place to park...maybe evict and extensively renovate the old K-Mart/Restaurant Depot space. Or maybe that could be the home of a new-school, post-merger Randalls in an attempt to gain back trust and market share.

• 2 weeks later...

There was talk mid-last year about the empty lot bounded by Crosstimbers, N Main, Yale, and E 45th street, just East of GO/OF.  People on the local Facebook pages swore that they heard from the horse's mouth that it was a done deal, but you know how people on the internet are :-)

Just measured it on Google Maps - 27,000 sq meters, just over 6 acres.  So who knows.  I'm sure the moment the rumor started, the price for the lot shot up.

• 2 weeks later...

The HEB on 18th is a grim hell hole full of lower end merchandise. It's hard to believe it's operated by the same outfit that runs Central Market. The nearest Randalls is at Westheimer and Shepherd, which is not convenient to the Greater Heights area, especially with Shepherd being torn up for rebuilding.

I visited it today. It's clear it got a repaint at some point in the past (probably about the time the Pantry name was dropped). But my goodness! The wine and water section was crammed into a tiny corner not much larger than two queen sized mattresses laid side by side, a lack of a pharmacy or other services, etc...there's a plaque outside the store that says it opened in 1997, so I'm guessing it was another grocery store prior to that.

Edit: Probably not much larger than ONE queen sized mattress...it was in a corner where I would expect the clearance items or other junk to be, and it was the wine section! The August 1997 opening makes me wonder WHAT it was before. Minimax, Lewis & Coker?

• 5 months later...

There's been a fair amount of action at the abandoned HEB at 529 and barker cypress recently.  There's a construction trailer on the outside and some new signs stating it's a construction area, but it all must be inside since the outside looks the same.  Anybody heard anything new?  The "for lease" sign is still up.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Houstontx.gov planning website it shows it will be a CVS pharmacy. Great website by the way shows a lot of the planning and devlopment coming.

http://search.houstontx.gov/search?q=cvs+barker+and+fm+529&client=egov_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=egov_frontend&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&ud=1&exclude_apps=1&site=all_collection&image.x=6&image.y=9

Guess H-E-B's lease must have finally expired. Will it demolish and rebuild, or recycle the existing space?

I noticed that there was a former Eckerd across the street, probably abandoned around the time CVS took the chain over, too.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that's true; would be pretty awesome!  The "for lease" sign is still out front though.  If they re-purpose the space, that would be one huge CVS.  There's been a large increase in activity there in the last few days.

The Eckards is now a Specs liquor store.  Curious why they didn't elect to convert it at the time.

• 1 month later...

For lease sign is gone now and they just repainted the parking lot. Curious to see how they re-purpose the building for a CVS. It would be the largest one I've ever seen.

CVS had a number of huge former Longs Drugs sites in California, so it's not out of question. However, I was under the impression it would be razed and rebuilt, though by repaving the lot, I dunno...

• 1 month later...

Any update on this? I haven't been up in that area recently, and I'm curious to know what CVS is doing to the building.

I also did some research, CVS still owns the former Eckerd's across the street, so I would assume this means they're either planning to make money by sub-diving the building into a strip mall, and anchoring it, or by opening a huge store. If they wanted a standard sized store, with drive-thru etc.. they could just evict Spec's and take the building back..

Archived