Famous Houstonians

KimberlySayWhat

It would be nice to see more hometown celebrities get involved with Houston affairs. I think they could bring positive press to town, as everyone listens to celebrities  :rolleyes:

Iwas about to make a post about this issue. Celebrities from Houston don't usually stay in Houston. I see celebrities from Atlanta supporting there city and living in there city, but famous Houstonians move to Hollywood. Why? Why don't they support Houston. Yolanda Adams is one that has stayed in Houston and help support the city. She helped to bring the Stellar Awards to the city. Also Houston born rappers usually stay in Houston.

bill gibbons (zz top) used to frequent my dad's comic book store in the 70's. this was before concert tickets were sold through computers and he always came through with a handful for us. the drummer frank beard (the only one without a beard) was in a recovery program and used to give motivational speeches for pdap (palmer drug abuse program).

deb martin

Any Houstonian should be beaming with pride that Anna Nicole's from their hometown.

There's one rapper (I don't know his name; not a big rap fan) whose video I've seen a couple of times; he has a tattoo of the Texan's football logo and I think he's wearing some sort of jersey that says Houston. Couple of other H-town references somehow or another in the video. Must be from Houston.

• 1 month later...

Beyonce' really doesn't mention Houston. Has she ever, yes, but she rarely does it now.

On the other hand, she now resides in Miami and spend a lot of time in New York, so I suppose out of site out of mind.

I agree about the artists in Atlanta. They stay there and represent it well. Even after many of the artist have been established, ie Usher, OutKast, Jermaine Dupri, TLC, etc., they are ALWAYS mentioning Atlanta, or wearing a hat or a shirt or something with the Atlanta name on it.

*note* By the way, Brooke Valentine is from Houston but now resides in Los Angeles.

You can't really blame stars for moving away. Blaming them would be no different than say: residents of a town in Ohio getting mad that one of their own becomes an Astronaut, but then moves to Houston.

There is no "Hollywood" in Houston. Here, the workers play, and the players leave.

I was born here. I am famous in my own mind. Does that count?

I can't really name an R&B or Hip/Hop act that has went international yet still lives here or even references Houston except for Beyonce & Destiny's Child. Houston rappers never seem to break out. I guess Lil' Flip would be the biggest rapper (nationally) out of Houston since Pimp C, yes?

I think Pimip C (and Bun B) of UGK (Undaground Kingz) are from Port Arthur. However, 27, you surprise me with your knowledge of rap. :D

Don't forget the Getto Boys and Scarface, who still live here. Actually, in the rap world, Houston is recognized as a major city for talent.

I think Pimip C (and Bun B) of UGK (Undaground Kingz) are from Port Arthur.  However, 27, you surprise me with your knowledge of rap. :D

Don't forget the Getto Boys and Scarface, who still live here.  Actually, in the rap world, Houston is recognized as a major city for talent.

Has George Foreman been mentioned. In fact there are quite a few famous sports figures from Houston.

What about GHW Bush. I know he was not born here, but he lives here now. I would trade him for Clinton, but I will take it.

Yes, George Foreman was mentioned. Didn't anyone go look at the website I made? It's neat, check it out.

Beyonce once told a great story on Leno about a very early performance at Astroworld where she blew a snot bubble and it popped while she was on stage performing.

you may not know her but "Roxy Lucas" (Broadway star) went to Bellaire high (Randy/Dennis Quaid as mentioned also went to Bellaire) -my mom graduated around the same time they did. Brent Spiner went to Bellaire (as mentioned)

Randall Onstead (graduated Bellaire High) -guy who started "Randalls"

Beyonce went to my middle school (Louie Welch Middle School) but I left before she came. :(

I can't think of any at the moment either.

you may not know her but "Roxy Lucas" (Broadway star) went to Bellaire high (Randy/Dennis Quaid as mentioned also went to Bellaire) -my mom graduated around the same time they did. Brent Spiner went to Bellaire (as mentioned)

Randall Onstead (graduated Bellaire High) -guy who started "Randalls"

Beyonce went to my middle school (Louie Welch Middle School) but I left before she came. :(

I can't think of any at the moment either.

A few more:

Mary Stuart Masterson

Wes Anderson (Indy film maker) went to St. Johns.

Archived