Grand Parkway Expansion

As I stated earlier, whatever information one is able to ascertain at any given moment about this project is whatever may true only for that moment. The information I received from the GPA is that which I have stated repeatedly that there are no active studies for anything east of 59, due to various reasons previously stated. The new schedule posted today that I saw on their website is contradictory to what they have previously stated, but that's not really anything new either. They will also tell you that the Grand Parkway (unless this has changed, too, depending on who you ask) that the Grand Parkway is likely to be more of a "C" shape than the 40 year old dream of a super loop. As I am able to get new information (hopefully from HCTRA) soon, I will of course post it here for all my HAIF friends to read and discuss the merits of such information. Thank you for your continued discourse and interest in my favorite subject. :lol:

and once again, you breeze right past the point... and manage to ignore YOUR statement of one month ago that the Grand Parkway east of 59 is "dead in the water."

One month ago, no one knew that HCTRA would be taking over the project from GPA (except maybe Senator Jon Lindsay). The GPA was busy completing their environmental studies and hoping for a summer release of the DEIS. At that time, the information available from the GPA was that the Grand Parkway, or TX-99 or SH-99, would stop at 59, because of various obstacles mentioned earlier. Now HCTRA has becomed very involved, and is apparently conducting their own studies independently of the GPA, and not conducting interviews unless their studies are complete. Same goes for Judge Eckels here too. He is not taking interviews with the public until Mike Strech (Director of HCTRA) is done with his schematics. So much for his offer to meet with the public about this issue one month ago. As for your comment about me breezing right past the point, the point is I believed, based upon information available at the time, that this issue of development of anything east of 59 was "dead in the water". However, things can and do change seemingly daily with this project. Maddening, isn't it? Of course, I thought a road project dreamed up forty years ago called the Grand Parkway was dead too, but look what's happened there! :P

As for the segments east of US 59, I think their viability will become more important. The section from the Bayton-East Freeway (I-10) to FM 1405 is currently under construction. The main purpose is the facilitate truck traffic out of the Port of Houston and the Cedar Crossing Industrial Park.

It's the reason that one of the proposed I-69 corridor alignments went on the east side of town.

It's reasonable to build the northeastern portions of the Grand Parkway for truck traffic.

Also, the F-2 alignment doesn't have to go through extensive studies to prove that i would be a profitable tollway (I believe it will be). HCTRA would just probably use money from the West Belt like they used for the West Park Tollway. The F-2 tollway will probably not be an EZ-Tag only tollway though.

Seems to me that if they are going to builf the segments east of 59 to 10, they should do it now, or risk the same resistance that they already have from Spring residents. IMHO, that area will be the next to grow rapidly, especially after the Crosby Freeway extension to Loop 610 is done. They'll market that area the same way Pearland and Manvel and Alvin are marketed--"get downtown in 20 minutes from your quite neighborhood filled with open space surrounded by native Texas forest!!!"

Actually, it has already started. The engineering firm I work for is currently consulting several developers on approximately 10,000 acres east of the Beltway and some east of Lake Houston and along the future Grand Parkway alignment out their. I'm have performed some of the preliminary drainage feasibilities for these tracts of land.

LINK

Yet another toll road through a residential area proposed

Boy, that Houston-Galveston Area Council 2025 Regional Transportation Plan sure is a gift that keeps on giving, isn't it? I've got a note from Andrea Warren, the Public Relations Committee Chair for the Oak Forest Homeowner's Association, informing me that the latest proposal is a toll road from Tomball to 610 at TC Jester, cutting through the Oak Forest neighborhood along the BNSF rail line. From Andrea's email:

The issue at hand is the idea of a 4 lane toll road where the BNSF rail line is now. That is the rail line that actually goes though Oak Forest, crosses 43rd at Mangum and borders the southern edge of Oak Forest. This is a highly residential area as you know. This proposed toll way would run all the way to Tomball bringing commuter though the heart of Oak Forest.

At the Citizens' Transportation Coalition (CTC) meeting last Thursday the toll roads were the featured topic. The CTC has put together a draft document that outlines that we as Houston resident's should approve all toll roads proposed to enter the City of Houston city limits. In order for this to happen, we will need the state legislature to pass a bill. In order for that to happen, we need to press or state reps and state senators about getting this legislation. It seems that the city itself was caught somewhat unaware about this bit of the HGAC 2025 document in that the Harris County Toll Road Authority (HCTRA) does not need the approval of the city to build a toll road through it. I encourage you to attend their meetings, see their website [for details].

In addition to this, HCTRA will be announcing in the coming months that it will have the financing for the new toll roads. We need to act quickly and decisively. The CTC and neighborhood groups will be convening on city hall in the next few weeks to ask the council to approve this proposal allowing for city residents to vote on the measure. The hope is that with the city government accepting it, it will significantly legitimize it.

Apart from the passage of a bill from the state, or an amendment to vote on, pressure will need to be applied from us, the taxpayers and residents to the Harris County Commissioner's Court, specifically Judge Eckels and Precinct One Commissioner Jerry Eversole.

We are in the process of scheduling a "town hall" format meeting with the HGAC, Harris County, the City of Houston, the Harris County Toll Road Authority and neighborhood groups for the northwest region at either Waltrip or Scarborough HS. We hope we will get some questions answered, as well as voice our opposition to these new road proposals, the toll road in particular.

This meeting will unfortunately convene before the next scheduled newsletter, so we will be sending a special mailing to everyone in Oak Forest outlining what is happening, how to get involved, and where and when this meeting is going to be, so be looking for it and tell your neighbors.

The OFHA is currently in the process of making a section of the website where you can get all the info you need.

The particulars of the bill the CTC wants to pass, which they've asked State Rep. Martha Wong and State Sen. Kyle Janek to sponsor, are on the main page of their website. If we've learned anything in the past couple of months, it's that the next toll road may be coming through your own neighborhood, so stay on top of this and support the CTC's proposal to give localities a say in that development. I'll pass on info of the town hall meeting when I get it.

Posted by Charles Kuffner on February 25, 2005 to Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

LINK

It seems that the city itself was caught somewhat unaware about this bit of the HGAC 2025 document in that the Harris County Toll Road Authority (HCTRA) does not need the approval of the city to build a toll road through it. I encourage you to attend their meetings, see their website [for details].

Diogenes is still searching in vain for one NIMBY spokesperson who doesn't lie and hyperbolize to the nth degree.

The Tomball to 610 tollway has been in the works and publicly discussed for several years, including on the HGAC 2025 maps. But since it wasn't outlined in yellow highlighter nor an alert mailed to that Bozo's house, I guess it is really a grand conspiracy by developers, General Motors, Halliburton, and the Illuminati.

BTW, to lessen the future shock for this guy, there has also been talk of trying to find a tollway alternative that would expand capacity for Loop 610 west. TXDOT wanted to double-deck 610, Galleria area merchants were opposed, so they've looked at using the RR track ROW that runs through Memorial Park. To the expected howls of many, including the Chronicle, and thus a tunnel option is even on the table. Lots of public discussion so far, though I'm sure at some point down the road this guy will pronounce that a secret plan has suddenly been uncovered, and somebody somewhere is trying to pull a fast one.

BTW, who cares if a tollway goes near a school? Ever heard of a fence? I thought teaching kids not to play in the road was one of the first things parents teach, or is that considered too hard on junior's self esteem these days? And if the road does end up passing through where the school is, they'll build a new and better school(100% tollway funded) in a better location that is acceptable to the neighborhood (the placement would be subject to public input.) But I suspect that the school issue is just an attempt to try to hit an emotional hotbutton, gripe and moan and see what sticks.

If they're gonna do it, I would rather they do the tunnel idea. For that matter, it may have been better in the long run to even out the current West Loop (that is, make the segments that are on terra firma elevated to match the sections that are overpasses, e.g. over Richmond) and then take that new space opened up and make more lanes under the new "elevated" freeway. The new freeway would be the same height off the ground as the present one at its highest points, but have more lanes underneath.

With the current roads that go under the West Loop, just lower their grades underneath the new "ground level" lanes.

My thought is that it would operate similarly to the Alaskan Way viaduct in Seattle, maybe with southbound lanes on the upper or current level, and northbound lanes on the new lower or "ground" level.

It would be amazingly expensive (my guess is $3-$5 Billion, but that's arbitrary), but that's no biggie. Just let HCTRA toll the new capacity. ;)

• 5 years later...

According to this video(LINK), it sounds like they want to have the Grand Parkway from 59 south to 59 north completed...in Four (stated at minute mark 1:36:37) years (Basically, ready for the Exxon's opening).

Fort Bend county will have bridges under construction later this summer/fall, 9 of them in their county.

Segment E (I think that's I-10 to 290) will be shovel ready, if they can take on the design work that's already in place, later this summer/early fall.

(Also, if you can watch the speaker, who I think is head of the Grand Parkway association, who spoke before the one at the 1:36 mark, it's a hoot)

If Forbidden Gardens is any indication (closing to make way for Grand Parkway), some local businesses are expecting Segment E to be moving forward soon. Although I'm a little surprised that they are not extending 99 over I-10 right now (as far as I know), since they are currently building some connectors from I-10 westbound to 99 southbound and 99 northbound to I-10 eastbound at that intersection.

• 3 weeks later...

Does this mean it's a GO?

The timely development and construction of the Project is a priority of the commission and the department as it will benefit the state and the traveling public and improve the efficiencey of the state's transportation system by enhancing mobility and operational efficiency, increasing safety, increasing economic development opportunities, decreasing air pollution, and enhancing quality of life in the Grand Parkway corridor.

IT IS THEREFORE ORDERED by the commission that the Project is authorized with CONSTRUCT authority.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the department is authorized to enter into agreements with the counties in which the Grand Parkway is located for the development, financing, construction, and operation of the Grand Parkway, subjec to the terms and conditions of the Market Valuation Waiver Agreement.

http://www.txdot.gov/about_us/commission/2011_meetings/documents/minute_orders/feb24/7.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Is just me or does it feel like Grand Parkway construction moved into high gear immediately after Exxon started construction of their campus? Sounds like the timeline for completion of the half circle from Sugarland to Kingwood is on about the same timeline that they are.

Funny how they spin it as "one step closer to reduced traffic congestion." As if a massive development ring is going to reduce traffic congestion.

Congestion occurs on and off of freeways. And even in uncongested conditions, at-grade roads are still slower than freeways, requiring repeated acceleration and deceleration, which is inefficient not only in terms of time but in terms of fuel economy and emissions.

You are SOOOO right!

However, the Grand Parkway only creates more wheels, not more spokes on the wheels. And, hey, for the uniniated, the Grand Parkway only extends to 59. It's dead in the water after that. So much for the circle they all envisioned. That's because it has always been a developers dream, nothing less, nothing more. Tomorrow in Commissioner's Court should be a real hoot!

There's another spoke that never got very far. Spur 5, it was supposed to go down to Alvin along Mykawa, any news on how that's going? IIRC, the La Porte freeway was supposed to penetrate farther into the loop but they killed it.

By the time it starts expanding, will they have completed the Grand Parkway from Interstate 10W to 290? Seems like they would, given the construction in the area.

http://katytimes.com/news/article_06de35f8-dd5a-11e0-8f20-001cc4c002e0.html

According to this article from the Katy Times the timetable was 28 months from September 2011. So around January 2014 segment E should be complete.

• 2 months later...

2. Will the corridor still be 400 feet wide if Harris County builds it (rather than TxDOT)?

I've hiked the stretch under construction from I-10 in Katy north to Hwy 290, and I can tell you for sure that it is more like 400 YARDS wide. It cuts a very wide swath through the countryside. The roadway itself is elevated with fill dirt to get above the prairie flooding, then you have shoulders on both sides, and then you have a wide drainage ditch beyond the shoulders, and finally another shoulder outside the drainage, before you get to the new pasture fencing. Or you can just drive the already-completed stretch from I-10 going south to Sugarland, and look at how wide that is.

Highway 99 - Katy Prairie

by John Rich

These photos have been taken during my hikes along the new section of Highway 99 (Grand Parkway) which is under construction from Interstate-10 north to Highway 290. The general theme is the contrast between human construction and the natural beauty of the Katy Prairie. During this spring season, wildflowers were in profusion, and quite beautiful. Come see the prairie beauty, before it's gone...

https://picasaweb.go...5JYK&feat=email

Edited by John Rich
  • Like 3

really enjoyed the photos John. Guess this will all be neighborhoods, big box stores , chain restaurants, and strip malls soon?

I'm sure it will take a few years for all this to come true, but no doubt it will, as developers take advantage of the new super-highway surrounded by "empty" land. Glad you enjoyed the photo album.

It absolutely disgusts me. All that private farmland, gobbled up. Also, whenever the new "ring" is finished, it's gonna look like a damned bullseye from space. Greeeeaaat, that's exactly what an oil and gas powerhouse city needs, is a target on it's freakin' forehead. :unsure:

• Like 1