Grand Parkway Expansion

20 minutes ago, freundb said:

When do we start on the next ring?

20 minutes ago, freundb said:

When do we start on the next ring?

The northern segment could be Highway 105 in Conroe, the eastern I'm afraid goes into Galveston Bay or Gulf of Mexico, problematic at best. No more circular rings only "C" shaped semi-rings. Can't fight the Atlantic ocean.

51 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

The northern segment could be Highway 105 in Conroe, the eastern I'm afraid goes into Galveston Bay or Gulf of Mexico, problematic at best. No more circular rings only "C" shaped semi-rings. Can't fight the Atlantic ocean.

Might be time to trade in the SUV for an Amphicar.

spacer.png

• Haha 4

this leaves the people of freeport totally exposed, can this loop go farther south to include Clute, Lake Jackson, and Freeport?

basically, from Wharton straight down through West Colombia, pick up 36 down to Surfside Beach. from there, you can go straight through to Bolivar. 

nothing like a good old fashioned 6 lane highway along the beach!

and on the west side, you may as well push out to East Bernard, Sealy, Hempstead.

eventually at some point we're going to have to talk about one of these loops including Key West, Havana, and Cancun, with signature bridges between each.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

59 minutes ago, samagon said:

this leaves the people of freeport totally exposed, can this loop go farther south to include Clute, Lake Jackson, and Freeport?

basically, from Wharton straight down through West Colombia, pick up 36 down to Surfside Beach. from there, you can go straight through to Bolivar. 

and on the west side, you may as well push out to East Bernard, Sealy, Hempstead.

eventually at some point we're going to have to talk about one of these loops including Key West, Havana, and Cancun, with signature bridges between each.

Bring it on down to Victoria 😏

1 hour ago, samagon said:

Suppose it could be called The Kuiper Belt. 

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, samagon said:

By that point Daddy Elon should have his boring company going strong and we can do a bridge/tunnel system that'll put the Chesapeake Bay bridge and tunnel system to shame!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, freundb said:

By that point Daddy Elon should have his boring company going strong and we can do a bridge/tunnel system that'll put the Chesapeake Bay bridge and tunnel system to shame!

Direct tunnel to Key West!

The amount of trees they've chopped down to build this and other areas around the northern suburbs is staggering. I'll never forget when Harvey hit, how everyone acted like they were going to take how we build moving forward with regard to flooding seriously...then not even a year later, the developers were like Phil Hartman when he played Ronald Reagan saying "back to work!!"

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 4 months later...

For years, officials in Brazoria and Galveston Counties watched as the Grand Parkway marched its way north from Interstate 10 in Katy, the work moving like the hands of a clock as the tollway was extended north, then circling to the east. 

Officials have continued to press state officials to keep the segment west of Interstate 45 toward Texas 288 a priority.

"The population is coming, it cannot be denied," said State Sen. Larry Taylor, R-Friendswood. "You look around. I tell my kids look around and see what is looks like right now because when you grow up it is not going to look like that."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/The-next-segments-of-the-Grand-Parkway-are-taking-17500080.php#photo-23032058

UXsF8gi.png

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 5:25 PM, hindesky said:

For years, officials in Brazoria and Galveston Counties watched as the Grand Parkway marched its way north from Interstate 10 in Katy, the work moving like the hands of a clock as the tollway was extended north, then circling to the east. 

Officials have continued to press state officials to keep the segment west of Interstate 45 toward Texas 288 a priority.

"The population is coming, it cannot be denied," said State Sen. Larry Taylor, R-Friendswood. "You look around. I tell my kids look around and see what is looks like right now because when you grow up it is not going to look like that."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/The-next-segments-of-the-Grand-Parkway-are-taking-17500080.php#photo-23032058

UXsF8gi.png

There is a high probability segment C will break ground soon. There is a dispute regarding the route between the George foundation and the Signorelli company, a large scale developer. Fort Bend has sided with Signorelli (no surprise).

Segment B will also be built in the not too distant future but segment A is doubtful.

I drive segment G occasionally and love it. Well built road way.

• 3 months later...

The dispute that he is talking about is because both the George Ranch foundation which owns a lot of land in the area and the Signorelli company both want the interchange of Fort Bend Parkway and the Grand Parkway to be on their property.  It's a couple of miles either way movement - but lots of $ at stake.

I can't find the article about it - but here is a link to what Signorelli is planning:

14,000 homes - 4700 acres.

Austin Point

• Like 2

https://communityimpact.com/houston/pearland-friendswood/transportation/2023/02/14/txdot-announces-start-of-grand-parkway-expansion-project-from-league-city-to-alvin/

Half of Segment B, from I-45 in League City to 2403 in Alvin, will have a construction contract awarded in 2025 with delivery by 2030. The remainder of the project, to 288 will be a separate project. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I was trying to reference Twinsanity's post from 10/24/22 but blew it.     He was talking about the dispute between the George Foundation and the Signorelli Company.

Here is a link to the article about the dispute.    I don't have online access to the Chronicle but somebody here probably does.

Grand Parkway intersection fight

Edited by Pleak
Messed up quoting a post.

• 3 months later...

"Texas Department of Transportation officials said work on segments of Interstate 45 in League City to south of Alvin is planned for late 2026 or early 2027, entirely funded by borrowing against future toll revenues."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/grand-parkway-alvin-league-city-txdot-18267055.php

vEwB05D.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cspwal said:

And they are busy upgrading TX-146, so once segment A is built 146 will magically become 99

That doesn't sound correct.  99 has a different owner and different standards (seeking to bar participating jurisdictions from building nearby feeder roads or alternative routes) than state highway 146, doesn't it?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Getting the Grand Parkway built between League City and Alvin will come with more than 200 additional acres of storm detention – among a handful of changes highway officials will detail this week in public meetings on the long-planned tollway segment.

Set for construction in 2027, at a cost of nearly $1 billion, plans for the tollway between Interstate 45 and FM 2403 are changing slightly from the proposal the Texas Department of Transportation approved in November 2016. Federal law requires the state to take the changes to the public for review, as they include needing additional land."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/grand-parkway-alvin-i45-growth-txdot-18418138.php

https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings/houston/sh99-sh35-101023.html

• Like 3