811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

No, a joint called A-Net. Best customer service ever. Tech support answers on the first ring and doesn't treat you like an idiot. You can say things like, "I'm getting long ping times on port 3900, can you reboot the routers on the 16th floor of my building?" and they'll do it. They're also one of the few ISPs left that have Usenet.

Maybe I have the 60-million figure wrong. I'll see if I can find a second source.

I found a newspaper article that puts the price at $129 million. I don't know where the $60 million figure originated.

The developers of Lakeshore East have completed construction financing for the Shoreham, a 550-unit apartment building in the 28-acre development site east of the Illinois Center office complex.

Washington, D.C.-based AFL-CIO Building Investment Trust will be an equity partner in the 47-story tower, which is expected to be competed in 2005, said architect James R. Loewenberg, president of Chicago-based Near North Properties Inc. That company is the co-developer with Magellan Development Group Ltd., also of Chicago.

Newport Beach, Calif.-based Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Co. is providing a construction loan, he said.

The project will be financed with $24 million in equity, with the construction loan covering the balance of the $129 million cost

So, $129 million for 47-stories. A lot less than the $250 million speculated above. Hopefully Hines 47 will come in on the cheap side simply because a lower cost would make it more likely to be built. (Right?)

I don't know much about the 2nd building yet except that its not the project been discussed previously called Center City (or whatever its name was). This should be a unique Hines development, also on Main Street. So far, there have been no proposals put forth on it that I have seen on the street, though that may not last long. Given the plethora issues that Discovery Tower is having with design, budget, and all, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move this building up the timeline quickly.

I found a newspaper article that puts the price at $129 million. I don't know where the $60 million figure originated.

So, $129 million for 47-stories. A lot less than the $250 million speculated above. Hopefully Hines 47 will come in on the cheap side simply because a lower cost would make it more likely to be built. (Right?)

Still depends on square footage. If the footprint is not that large, it could still end up at $200 psf or more. As for Hines 47, if it is LEED, it will be expensive.

I don't know much about the 2nd building yet except that its not the project been discussed previously called Center City (or whatever its name was). This should be a unique Hines development, also on Main Street. So far, there have been no proposals put forth on it that I have seen on the street, though that may not last long. Given the plethora issues that Discovery Tower is having with design, budget, and all, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move this building up the timeline quickly.

I would still like the Discovery Tower to be built. I would prefer at least one office tower, and a couple of shorter condo towers around Discovery Green.

If this building was completed in 2005, the materials were likely purchased a couple years earlier. Costs have gone up considerably since then. And I don't know about the building you lived in, but I toured another building by that developer in Chicago and even though new it was nowhere near as nice as the new apartment construction we are seeing in hirises here (or obviously in nicer condo buildings in Chicago). Whoever estimated $300 psf for Hines tower is probably close.

No, a joint called A-Net. Best customer service ever. Tech support answers on the first ring and doesn't treat you like an idiot. You can say things like, "I'm getting long ping times on port 3900, can you reboot the routers on the 16th floor of my building?" and they'll do it. They're also one of the few ISPs left that have Usenet.

Yeah, sounds about the same as COVAD/Speakeasy. Although, I'm curious, as ICMP is a layer below port abstractions and doesn't use them :)

Personally, my dream is about a hundred blocks of 6 story mixed use downtown/midtown. I'd take it over a dozen 600 footers. One can dream, no?

Edited by woolie

Just the idea that in addition to Hines 47 there's the potential for yet another tower of similar height (if not taller) only a couple of blocks north. These two projects COULD really do wonders for adding consistency to the asthetic and social landscape of the "new" Main Street, from the Pavillions to Main Street Square and then on towards Allen's Landing.

If the city is really on its toes and the two projects (Hines 47 and their other proposed tower) come to fruition, they could really promote Main Street as being the long lost social spine of the entire region, not just the city (I'm assuming the two new Hines towers would facilitate a variety of retail opportunities on the ground floor).

And I speculate with Red... a LEED tower of that height (40-stories or more) is likely to be a bit more expensive than other towers that are of similar height but without the LEED characteristics.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

If the city is really on its toes and the two projects (Hines 47 and their other proposed tower) come to fruition, they could really promote Main Street as being the long lost social spine of the entire region, not just the city (I'm assuming the two new Hines towers would facilitate a variety of retail opportunities on the ground floor).

I contend that such a thing is impossible. It may very well become a yuppie playground, but that is a far cry from being the "social spine of the entire region."

I contend that such a thing is impossible. It may very well become a yuppie playground, but that is a far cry from being the "social spine of the entire region."

I don't think it's impossible. The yuppie playground potential has also passed, IMO. I think it could just turn out to be Houston's first real transit-based (FWIW--we ARE talking about Houston) urban district. Kicking out the clubs is gonna turn out to be a great thing, and getting rid of that shady urine block will work wonders.

I don't think it's impossible. The yuppie playground potential has also passed, IMO. I think it could just turn out to be Houston's first real transit-based (FWIW--we ARE talking about Houston) urban district. Kicking out the clubs is gonna turn out to be a great thing, and getting rid of that shady urine block will work wonders.

So it isn't going to be a club scene and it isn't going to be a yuppie playground. What else could it possibly be that attracts people such that it might be dubbed the "social spine of the entire region?"

Gee, what else could possibly happen downtown that could make it the social spine of the region?

Astros, Rockets, Comets, and Aeros games.

Jones Hall, Wortham Center, Hobby Center, and Alley Theatre.

Houston Pavilions and Bayou Place.

Concerts at Toyota Center, Verizon Wirless Theater, and House of Blues.

Marathon Weekend.

Art Car Parade.

I-Fest.

Parades for Thanksgiving, Rodeo, Cinco de Mayo, St Patties and Juneteenth.

New downtown park.

Continued Buffalo Bayou improvements and better access to the water.

Dragon Boat Races.

4th of July events.

Large-scale conventions.

From previous threads, we all know that you're really good at putting together lists. But the topic being examined at the moment was not about downtown as a cluster. It was about Main Street. This is why someone tried to describe it as a "social spine." Because spines are straight. They are corridors. From your list, it looks like there are only two social scenes on Main: Houston Pavilions (not even completed) and Allen's Landing. Hardly a "spine."

Gee, what else could possibly happen downtown that could make it the social spine of the region?

Astros, Rockets, Comets, and Aeros games.

Jones Hall, Wortham Center, Hobby Center, and Alley Theatre.

Houston Pavilions and Bayou Place.

Concerts at Toyota Center, Verizon Wirless Theater, and House of Blues.

Marathon Weekend.

Art Car Parade.

I-Fest.

Parades for Thanksgiving, Rodeo, Cinco de Mayo, St Patties and Juneteenth.

New downtown park.

Continued Buffalo Bayou improvements and better access to the water.

Dragon Boat Races.

4th of July events.

Large-scale conventions.

all we need now is people

From previous threads, we all know that you're really good at putting together lists. But the topic being examined at the moment was not about downtown as a cluster. It was about Main Street. This is why someone tried to describe it as a "social spine." Because spines are straight. They are corridors. From your list, it looks like there are only two social scenes on Main: Houston Pavilions (not even completed) and Allen's Landing. Hardly a "spine."

C'mon, Niche I think you're splitting hairs quite bit here. Did you check his spelling while you're at it? He was basically saying that he thought it could be the hot spot of the region. Nothing wrong with that. He could've been saying that Main could be Houston's version of Madison Av., Fifth Av., Michigan Av., or Wilshire Dr. Even more so--I bet you that I didn't even have to tell you what cities those streets are in.

Chill with the nit-picking. I think you get his point.

Main is sort of the center point between the theater district on one side, and the sports district on the other, with parades and conventions all around. I don't see anything wrong with calling it the "long lost social spine". Depends what you define a "spine" as I guess.

Honestly, I don't get it. How are a couple of highrises with a tad bit of ground-level retail built by Hines going to turn Main Street (or downtown, if you're so inclined) into the region's "social spine?"

Depends what you define a "spine" as I guess.

Take your pick. I see a pattern of long slender things, not so much blob-like things.

C'mon, Niche I think you're splitting hairs quite bit here. Did you check his spelling while you're at it? He was basically saying that he thought it could be the hot spot of the region. Nothing wrong with that. He could've been saying that Main could be Houston's version of Madison Av., Fifth Av., Michigan Av., or Wilshire Dr. Even more so--I bet you that I didn't even have to tell you what cities those streets are in.

Not only that, but apparently The Niche doesn't know how a spine works.

The spine is also more S-shaped than truly linear but hey, he's an econ fella so I will forgive him.

Can't you think of Main Street as a long slender thing in the center of a blob-like thing (downtown).

Honestly, I don't get it. How are a couple of highrises with a tad bit of ground-level retail built by Hines going to turn Main Street (or downtown, if you're so inclined) into the region's "social spine?"

Take your pick. I see a pattern of long slender things, not so much blob-like things.

About Hines 47...is this thing just straight up office, or will retail be at the bottom? I don't know if it has been answered earlier, but will it cheat its way to a higher height with some kind of spire or antennae, or will it be like Wells Fargo Plaza?

Edited by Trae

That's is what Uptown is for, especially Uptown Park.

Great question, Trae. Fernz, can you let us in on whether or not there's any sort of spire or ornamental top? Did you get a glimpse of a nighttime image? Thanks.

So Fernz has seen the rendering, where was your camera phone buddy!

We want to see this.

Great question, Trae. Fernz, can you let us in on whether or not there's any sort of spire or ornamental top? Did you get a glimpse of a nighttime image? Thanks.

I would like something like this:

Nytimesbuilding.jpg

Can anybody draw? lol...I really want to see this thing. Is the building a couple of posts above look anything like it (Hines 47)? What about Discovery Tower? Does it resemble another One Shell Plaza?

The renderings that I have seen do not have any sort of ornamental top to the building on the Hines 47. It is 47 floors, thats it. And they have said it will have street level retail.

So it's 37 floors of office space then...correct? I believe it was said that it would have a 10 level parking garage as a base.

The renderings that I have seen do not have any sort of ornamental top to the building on the Hines 47. It is 47 floors, thats it. And they have said it will have street level retail.

Just picture it 10 stories shorter than this classic:

heinz_label.JPG

Just kidding of course. I couldn't help it. When I read Hines 47, that's all I could think of! FYI - There are no good pictures of 57 sauce on web..

Hey can anybody update Wikipedia. Houston is in the middle of a huge building boom and all the website has to say is the last major structure built was the second Enron tower. I think all these projects being proposed deserves at the very least an honorable mention.