811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Great shot. Maybe my equilibrium is off but just a bit of constructive criticism, the photo looks a little uneven, maybe just by a fraction of a degree.

Thank you.  I think you're right, as there is a slight tilt in the photo (as well as a few other photos I took last night) but I also think my perspective plays a little into it.  I don't have a fancy tripod/DSLR yet so I'm still toying around with a glorified point and shoot.  One day I'll have truly quality shots for everyone that the city deserves.

• Like 2

Is there supposed to be retail along Main Street in this building? Is it leased? I haven't walked by this building since my contract at my client downtown ended a while ago but it seemed there was a dead zone along main street....

Super dead. There is a frost bank there with all of the window shades pulled. I don't think there are any entrances along main.  They did make the sidewalk and landscaping nice though. 

• Like 1

Reading through old posts, it looks like there was initially a retail entrance planned from Main. I imagine it was Frost Bank's decision not to go this route. They probably signed a ten year lease.

Downtown will just have to evolve to a point where Frost or some other tenant decides it's better to open onto Main than not. We're moving in the right direction.

• Like 2

With the JW Marriott open across the street now, there is a lot more foot traffic in the area. Unfortunately, some of it is still folks scattering from outside the corner store because a cop showed up.

I think there is a new ABC permit notice hanging in the window of the bar/cub across Rusk though.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I think you're right, as there is a slight tilt in the photo (as well as a few other photos I took last night) but I also think my perspective plays a little into it.  I don't have a fancy tripod/DSLR yet so I'm still toying around with a glorified point and shoot.  One day I'll have truly quality shots for everyone that the city deserves.

You can adjust your horizon in post processing too, don't need no fancy dslr to do that, it's just heavier equipment that costs more. Unless you get one of those fancy new mirrorless doohickies, then it still costs more than a point and shoot, but is not quite as heavy and more compact.

I like the photo as is, but I wish you had aimed just a hair to the right. It would remove the building in the foreground on the very left edge that is distracting from the subject, and you get more of the gulf building in the shot (and who doesn't like the gulf building?). It moves your subject a little to the left, but with how the perspective plays, your eyes are drawn to the top left of the image anyway.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/05/09/exclusive-namesake-tenant-to-vacate-downtown.html

U.K.-based BG Group PLC, which was recently acquired by The Netherlands-based Royal Dutch Shell PLC (NYSE: RDS-A, RDS-B), is vacating BG Group Place in downtown Houston, according to an internal memo obtained by the Houston Business Journal.

• Like 2

So all of your Kanye references are actually serious.. It was hard to tell.

Ugh, this vacancy sucks.. 300,000 sq ft of space hitting the market while Hines tries to lease up 609. I guess at least it sort of fills (some of?) the Shell Plaza vacancy.. This tower should be more attractive/easier to lease out.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...