811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

Great! I'm assuming this is the block with the West Building and Montagu Hotel that Fernz was describing here.

Montagu Hotel topic.

I bet it is. I'm surprised they are willing to go at it without a tenant; I guess they want to beat the Discovery Tower out of the ground. The rendering I saw looked pretty slick, it's an all glass tower with slightly angled walls, and a terrace garden two-thirds up the building.

I bet it is. I'm surprised they are willing to go at it without a tenant; I guess they want to beat the Discovery Tower out of the ground. The rendering I saw looked pretty slick, it's an all glass tower with slightly angled walls, and a terrace garden two-thirds up the building.

Post the rendering or website. PLEASE!

Fernz, if you can't post a rendering (tall order at this stage I imagine), could you describe another existing building somewhere in the world that has a similar appearence. So we could get an idea. New skyscraper proposals for downtown always get me acting like a 8 year old on a sugar high.

Angled walls sounds intriguing!

Is the location, Main, Walker, Fannin, Rusk? (got that off the Montagu Hotel thread) On the satellite image, there looks to be several existing buildings on the lot.

Just four blocks away from HP. To just give you an idea on how tall this building may be, One Shell Plaza is 50 stories and at 714 feet (without the antennae). One Houston Center is 48 stories, and 678 feet. So, something from maybe 670 feet to 720 feet maybe?

• Like 1

No mention of this project on the Hines website. Is there a rendering or not? Nobody will post it.

You know, it doesn't really have to be on their website. The HBJ is reporting it, so it is true.

47-stories won't be for some chump project either. You could get around 700 feet with that sucker.

>:)

With our sour luck, it may end up being only 40 stories. There is something about project proposals and final products in Houston where the height is either shortened or a twin tower is reduced to one.

Let's hope Hines learns from the mistakes it made in the past and can build a building that integrates the pedestrian street level instead of destroying it. It is possible to accomplish this and still have a striking skyline presence. Every new building or element in downtown can either help make downtown a neighborhood or detract from it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because the city is actually putting their money with their mouth is to make this a reality let's hope the big developers get the picture.

With our sour luck, it may end up being only 40 stories. There is something about project proposals and final products in Houston where the height is either shortened or a twin tower is reduced to one.

It would be better if we could delay the inevitable HAIF pessimism and doubts until we even see a rendering. Or Hines's website even mentions the project. We all are aware projects change as they go forth (or die) but it would be a much more pleasurable experience if we could learn just a little more before comments like that (true or not).

From Fernz' description in the other topic, it sounds like this will look similar to the Houston City Centre project on the Shamrock site two blocks up. Not bad if you ask me. Both are 3/4 block projects, in this case saving wrapping around the Stowers Building. So would it be reasonable to guess parking on the quarter block on Fannin adjacent to Stowers, and the tower section on the half block along Main. This could be real nice.

Let's hope Hines learns from the mistakes it made in the past and can build a building that integrates the pedestrian street level instead of destroying it. It is possible to accomplish this and still have a striking skyline presence. Every new building or element in downtown can either help make downtown a neighborhood or detract from it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because the city is actually putting their money with their mouth is to make this a reality let's hope the big developers get the picture.

That's what I am hoping as well. Street level retail would be awesome - it's in an area where there is already a lot going on. I can't remmeber what is in the "New West Building". Is it just empty or does it have retail? It's not the building with the dollar store, is it?