houstonfella

BG Group Place (formerly MainPlace) in downtown Houston

1194 posts in this topic

I think it's going to be that new 47 story concrete and wire parking garage I've been hearing about. :)

1 person likes this

.......what Hines parking garage? Hines is building a new skyscraper.

It was a joke! I wouldn't be too surprised if Houston built the world's largest all parking structure though. :)

Edited by Jax

Great! I'm assuming this is the block with the West Building and Montagu Hotel that Fernz was describing here.

Montagu Hotel topic.

I bet it is. I'm surprised they are willing to go at it without a tenant; I guess they want to beat the Discovery Tower out of the ground. The rendering I saw looked pretty slick, it's an all glass tower with slightly angled walls, and a terrace garden two-thirds up the building.

COOL!!! I guess it'll be a race to see who actually puts a shovel in the ground first--Hines, Crescent, or Brookfield (or maybe even someone else!)

I bet it is. I'm surprised they are willing to go at it without a tenant; I guess they want to beat the Discovery Tower out of the ground. The rendering I saw looked pretty slick, it's an all glass tower with slightly angled walls, and a terrace garden two-thirds up the building.

Post the rendering or website. PLEASE!

Fernz, if you can't post a rendering (tall order at this stage I imagine), could you describe another existing building somewhere in the world that has a similar appearence. So we could get an idea. New skyscraper proposals for downtown always get me acting like a 8 year old on a sugar high.

Angled walls sounds intriguing!

Is the location, Main, Walker, Fannin, Rusk? (got that off the Montagu Hotel thread) On the satellite image, there looks to be several existing buildings on the lot.

DAMN! At 47-stories, this thing could at least be 700 feet. I can't wait for a rendering.

I saw this on the front page of the HBJ. They indicate that it is indeed the Main-Rusk-Fannin-Walker block. Goodbye West Building!

Just four blocks away from HP. To just give you an idea on how tall this building may be, One Shell Plaza is 50 stories and at 714 feet (without the antennae). One Houston Center is 48 stories, and 678 feet. So, something from maybe 670 feet to 720 feet maybe?

centerpoint energy plaza is 47 stories ~ 741 ft.

CenterPointEnergyPlaza-001.jpg

I think that hole pushes it up though.

I think that hole pushes it up though.

yes, six stories

well, six centerpoint stories

Edited by sevfiv

I saw this on the front page of the HBJ. They indicate that it is indeed the Main-Rusk-Fannin-Walker block. Goodbye West Building!

does it mean, necessarily, that the entire block will be used?

No mention of this project on the Hines website. Is there a rendering or not? Nobody will post it.

No mention of this project on the Hines website. Is there a rendering or not? Nobody will post it.

You know, it doesn't really have to be on their website. The HBJ is reporting it, so it is true.

47-stories won't be for some chump project either. You could get around 700 feet with that sucker.

>:)

With our sour luck, it may end up being only 40 stories. There is something about project proposals and final products in Houston where the height is either shortened or a twin tower is reduced to one.

Let's hope Hines learns from the mistakes it made in the past and can build a building that integrates the pedestrian street level instead of destroying it. It is possible to accomplish this and still have a striking skyline presence. Every new building or element in downtown can either help make downtown a neighborhood or detract from it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because the city is actually putting their money with their mouth is to make this a reality let's hope the big developers get the picture.

With our sour luck, it may end up being only 40 stories. There is something about project proposals and final products in Houston where the height is either shortened or a twin tower is reduced to one.

It would be better if we could delay the inevitable HAIF pessimism and doubts until we even see a rendering. Or Hines's website even mentions the project. We all are aware projects change as they go forth (or die) but it would be a much more pleasurable experience if we could learn just a little more before comments like that (true or not).