Marvin Zindler dead at 85

musicman

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stations have been playing footage of an old commercial during the tributes. In the commercial there are a bunch of people with exaggerated expressions on their faces and Marvin, with a microphone in hand, making his way up to a window, maybe a bank teller, and the frightened man pulls the shade down in front of Marvin and on it is a note that says, "Out to lunch".

It's deliciously campy.

If anyone by chance has an old VHS copy of this, please do everyone a favor and post it on YouTube or one of those sites.

the kawasaki blooper is hilarious.

i hope they find the good morning houston footage where he was the stand-in weatherman. of course marvin being marvin, he changed the chance of rain to 100% because it was raining outside at the moment. LOL

The stations have been playing footage of an old commercial during the tributes. In the commercial there are a bunch of people with exaggerated expressions on their faces and Marvin, with a microphone in hand, making his way up to a window, maybe a bank teller, and the frightened man pulls the shade down in front of Marvin and on it is a note that says, "Out to lunch".

It's deliciously campy.

If anyone by chance has an old VHS copy of this, please do everyone a favor and post it on YouTube or one of those sites.

Agreed! I LOVE that commercial where he says "In the name of action 13......" and then goes on to say "give these people their money back".

HAHAHAHA...now that is classic funny stuff; nothing like today where every joke comes with a 4 letter word.

This reminds me.....Tom Snyder.....BIG LOSS there as well. I used to watch his late late show avidly when I was a freshman in college. The guy had awesome stories and told them in a way that no one else could.

RIP to Snyder as well.

The funeral has just ended and it was a very sad/emotional event. On another note can anyone tell me why Melanie Lawson walks with a cane.

she's had ms for yrs...

yes i saw bits and pieces of it. it was great to see dave, shara and melanie up there!

Is that a Muscle Disorder?

A chronic degenerative disease of the central nervous system in which gradual destruction of myelin occurs in patches throughout the brain or spinal cord (or both), interfering with the nerve pathways and causing muscular weakness, loss of coordination and speech and visual disturbances

LarryDallas:

Agreed! I LOVE that commercial where he says "In the name of action 13......" and then goes on to say "give these people their money back".

HAHAHAHA...now that is classic funny stuff; nothing like today where every joke comes with a 4 letter word.

Very true. Not to get off topic, but that's what I love about old TV shows and movies. You take an old show like "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and it was hilarious, cleverly written and ahead of its time. Hollywood just can't pull it off anymore without the unnecessary cursing and innuendo. And truthfully, it probably wouldn't work these days.

I watched bits of the funeral as well. It was not as sad as the day I found out he died. That day it just kind of hit me hard and I knew Houston would never be the same again. The funeral was more of a celebration of his life so it was upbeat for the most part. Many people talked about famous Marvin moments and trivia so it was great!

I'm sure KTRK will air the funeral again this weekend for everyone who was at work or for other reasons missed it. I'll watch the whole thing this time around.

I watched bits of the funeral as well. It was not as sad as the day I found out he died. That day it just kind of hit me hard and I knew Houston would never be the same again. The funeral was more of a celebration of his life so it was upbeat for the most part. Many people talked about famous Marvin moments and trivia so it was great!

I'm sure KTRK will air the funeral again this weekend for everyone who was at work or for other reasons missed it. I'll watch the whole thing this time around.

They are actually re-airing the funeral and special tonight on ABC-13.2 (Comcast Channel 314). ABC-13.2 is a digital subchannel that repeats EWN (Eyewitness News) and airs some obscure syndicated programs that otherwise would not air on the main ABC-13. I believe they also air repeats of Deborah Duncan's old show and various specials the station produces such as those specials that air at 10:35 after the Sunday edition of EWN.

I saw the final tribute show on the regular broadcast 13 tonight. This was the best done one for sure. If you did not get a lump in your throat during the final segment with the Dolly Parton song then you are not a human being.

Dave Ward mentioned in an interview that KTRK should have made "Thank you Marvin" bumper stickers at KTRK some years back. I think they should do it now. Just have viewers send in a SASE and print tons of stickers for distribution.

If you work at KTRK or in the local media get this going if you have the power to do it. I will call and email KTRK myself soon.

On a side note, Dave Ward made Meyerland seem like a working class and kind of poor area to live in by the way he said Marvin lived in his "small" house for 30 years in Meyerland. I live about 5 minutes away from Marvin's house and that part of Meyerland is NOT shabby at all. The homes are between 2000-3000 sq feet and price around $250K-300K.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be a contrarian, but I wasn't a fan of Zindler's.

I grew up watching him from his earliest days on 13. In all those years -- plus the two decades he spent doing media on the side prior to that -- the man never really learned how to do a report. I guess that was part of his charm, but I found it annoying. As kids we knew he was a joke and thought he was a hoot but after 10-15 years, the schtick got old.

The head of the IRS in Houston was frequently on Zindler's reports and Zindler refused to pronounce the guy's name right. On one broadcast, Zindler admitted that he mispronounced the man's name but would not change because he liked to say it his way!

He used to have a segment called "Places I Like to Eat." I always hoped I'd tune in to see him take a bite outta the table at some posh joint he was pushing.

He had several mistresses on the side over the years and used his media muscle for friends from time to time. The real tale of those whorehouse stories that made him famous has yet to be fully told.

I used to bump into Zindler around the area -- at Ditta's Meats in Pasadena, a chop suey joint in West U, buying furniture at Finger's -- not a nice guy.

The head of the IRS in Houston was frequently on Zindler's reports and Zindler refused to pronounce the guy's name right. On one broadcast, Zindler admitted that he mispronounced the man's name but would not change because he liked to say it his way!

arturio jacobs!

Now people cannot threaten to sic Marvin on the restaurant owner anymore. I bet the food places feel like a mountain has been lifted off there shoulders.

Alot of redevelopment has been going on in the Meyerland/Bellaire area as of late but most of the Meyerland area is still pretty working class from the looks of it.

Meyerland is not working class anymore. Meyerland has become very posh...

HA! YES!

But Marv used to say artuuuuuuuuuuuureeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooo Jacobs. The poor guy's name was Arturo, are - TOUR - o not, are - tour - EOH.

yep, even arturo smirked. i thought it was hilarious whenever marvin had to say a taqueria name. LOL

You wouldn't know by the homes there. Most I'm sure date back to the neighborhood's origins. There's not a huge buildup of McMansions like in Bellaire and West U.

The lack of McMansions is what makes Meyerland superior to Bellaire and West U. McMansions have lost their popularity. More sensibly sized houses are what people want today.

• 6 months later...

Archived