Marvin Zindler dead at 85

musicman

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching him dance the waltz at the end of his tribute last night brought tears to my eyes. As so many have said before me, no one cared about his viewers and the less fortunate like Marvin did. I will miss seeing him and his blue sunglasses next to Dave.

As Dave would say....Thank you, Marvin.

I use to always sing his Slime in the Ice Machine when I was like four or five. When he would say MAAAARVIN ZINDLER, Eye Witness News use, I to ask my dad "why does he always say his name like that". My dad said "because he is Marvin Zindler".

R.I.P. Marvin.

Even more than "slime in the ice machine," I think my favorite phrase has to be "it's hell to be poor." his first 10 yrs or so he really created his outspoken image and that is where i remember hearing "it's hell to be poor" most frequently. the last 20 yrs or so he was more tame but continued his great work.

It leaves one to wonder , just WHO could possibly fill Marvin's shoes ? Not just with Marvin's work with the people in hardship around town. I am thinking more about his work helping the children in 3rd world countries? Though, I am sure that these programs are set up and operate just fine, I don't think they will get near the attention without having Marvin to help the cause. Alot of people think Marvin is a loudmouth, and a blowhard, and that all he ever did was close the Chicken Ranch down. WRONG, he spent his own time and money towards a much worthier cause, and I am glad that I actually got to shake the man's hand and talk to him for just a little bit one night at Pino's before it closed down on Voss.

A couple of things I'll remember about Marvin (and I'm sure I've mentioned this before):

1. I don't know for how long he had it, but he had a pretty funny business card. It was a photo business card of him and Mickey Mouse sitting at the Channel 13 anchor desk. (KTRK is owned by Disney).

2. You can't imagine the amount of buzz created when your middle school ends up on Marvin's rat and roach report. For weeks, the students were like, "Don't eat in the cafeteria. That was on Marvin's report!"

It leaves one to wonder , just WHO could possibly fill Marvin's shoes ? Not just with Marvin's work with the people in hardship around town. I am thinking more about his work helping the children in 3rd world countries? Though, I am sure that these programs are set up and operate just fine, I don't think they will get near the attention without having Marvin to help the cause. Alot of people think Marvin is a loudmouth, and a blowhard, and that all he ever did was close the Chicken Ranch down. WRONG, he spent his own time and money towards a much worthier cause, and I am glad that I actually got to shake the man's hand and talk to him for just a little bit one night at Pino's before it closed down on Voss.

Any of those investigative guru's will do. Take it Akin!

You are gonna compare Emily Akin with MARVIN ?!? Admit it, you've never SEEN Marvin Zindler have you ?

With the blue specs, how could I not know him.

Marvin was a great reporter, but he had a gimmicky phrase with the whole signing out slogan and the slime in the ice machine.

He just had a lot of drama with his delivery.

It leaves one to wonder , just WHO could possibly fill Marvin's shoes ? Not just with Marvin's work with the people in hardship around town. I am thinking more about his work helping the children in 3rd world countries? Though, I am sure that these programs are set up and operate just fine, I don't think they will get near the attention without having Marvin to help the cause.

Never mind the children and the poor, but what are the KTRK station managers going to do to fill his place and keep the ratings up?

With the blue specs, how could I not know him.

Marvin was a great reporter, but he had a gimmicky phrase with the whole signing out slogan and the slime in the ice machine.

He just had a lot of drama with his delivery.

But he also had a force of personality behind him that few even tempted to deflect because of the repercussions that would occur because of it. He had THAT kind of following. It was almost a personality cult.

The only person on TV that even come close to it is Wayne D. I think they were grooming him for Marvin's spot. But he has a totally different style. If they offer him that gig, I'm sure he's going to have to revamp his style dramatically.

the tribute on the 10pm news has been great. looks like they'll be going an hr.

I thought KTRK's report was great. It was very upbeat and positive, and I feel most certain that Marvin would have wanted it that way. It's really amazing what a selfless guy he was.

God blesss Marvin and his family.

Marvin was as bllazy as they came also. Going after fugitives on his own dime back in the days when he was a Sheriff. I don't think Marvin was scared of anyone or anything as far as I can tell.

I'm going to remember him more for helping the indigent and also getting rid of "slime in the ice machine!!"

But he also had a force of personality behind him that few even tempted to deflect because of the repercussions that would occur because of it. He had THAT kind of following. It was almost a personality cult. The only person on TV that even come close to it is Wayne D. I think they were grooming him for Marvin's spot.

Don't worry about it. Wayne doesn't want Marvin's gig because he would have to play the "nice guy". Don't get me wrong, Wayne is a fun loving guy who's fun to be around off camera, but playing nice to get things done the way Marvin did just isn't his style. Wayne is an "ambush'em at the pass, kick the door down and shoot out the lights" investigative reporter, and that's the style that wins Regional Emmies for KTRK.

Marvin knew the secret to getting people to do things to help the less fortunate -- honey works better than vinegar, and he had a way of making people really want to join him in helping others. So even if they find someone to continue doing Action 13, it won't have the force and power Marvin gave it.

Marvin always had the benefit of being independently wealthy by virtue of his family's clothing stores, which put him in the position of power in dealing with unscrupulous merchants, incompetent politicians and bureaucrats at all levels. City, County, State and Federal. He didn't need to work for a living, and he didn't care how important they were or what they threatened to do to him or his TV station. He stood his ground and they always backed down, and here's the most important element in that success.

To its everlasting credit, the TV station always stood with him and supported everything he did, because the manager knew he would walk out the door in a heart beat if they didn't. You have no idea how many KTRK advertisers threatened to cancel their accounts because of Marvin, or how many times the manager told them "Sorry you feel that way. We'll miss you." Over the years, some well known Houston companies and businesses did cancel their commercials, but most of them always came back. I don't think the person who succeeds Marvin will be able to count on that level of support. That's why I think we've seen the last of the "Marvin style" consumer reporting in Houston.

Marvin's fearlessness gave him enormous power in this city, but I never heard of a single instance in which he misused or abused it. Politicians, bureaucrats and merchants learned a long time ago that if someone complained to Marvin about something they did or were responsible for, there was a damn good chance that they would be "Zindler'ed" on the news at 6 and 10.

I think Marvin's most lasting contribution will be his attitude that "It's hell to be poor", and his campaign to get medical treatment for children whose families have no insurance or money. He asked repeatedly -- on the air -- for people to send him names and addresses of such children, no matter where they live. This is how and why he built up his legion of "Marvin's Angels" at the Medical Center -- doctors who would step up and take care of children from poor families at no cost.

I could go on and on about the powerfully positive force Marvin was for Houston over his life, but I think you get the picture. This town is going to really miss having him around, and it just won't be the same. His like will never pass this way again.

My father helped keep the lights on over at Zindler's by the Galleria back in the 80's, that's for sure. I also got Zindlered over a car deal a couple of years ago, BUT, neither myself nor the company had done anything wrong to the person he was going to bat for, so he had to report to the person that they had no leg to stand on and the film never made the news.

Guest Marty
looks like the story went national. article from abcnews

the funeral service will be multidenominational. joseph fiorenza, william lawson, kirbyjon caldwell, joel osteen, etc.

President Bush's statement about Marvin.

Laura and I are saddened by the death of Marvin Zindler. Marvin was a Texas legend with a bigger than life personality who dominated Houston TV for decades. He was also a kind and compassionate man who made it his life's work to help others in need. A particularly moving example of his generosity was his effort to help victims of Saddam Hussein's tyranny receive prosthetic hands. He was a good friend who will be missed by his many fans. Our thoughts and prayers are with Marvin's family, friends, coworkers, and all who mourn the passing of a Texas original.

KTRK consumer blog

The public will have a chance to attend Marvin Zindler's visitation Tuesday July 31st:

Geo. H Lewis & Sons Funeral Home

1010 Bering Drive

From 3 - 7pm Then again at 8pm

Marvin's funeral will be broadcast live on Channel 13 and abc13.com Wednesday at 11 am.

KTRK's Marvin Zindler tribute page

Statements from politicians on the passing of Marvin Zindler.

The ABC 13 Staff has dedicated all of today's Newscasts to honoring Marvin Zindler. The On-Air Anchors and Reporters all wore Black today. Flowers, Calls and other Items has also flooded the ABC 13 Studios today. I thought that indeed was very special. I will be viewing his funeral on Wedensday at 11am.

I also got Zindlered over a car deal a couple of years ago, BUT, neither myself nor the company had done anything wrong to the person he was going to bat for

Yeah, he was known for that kind of reporting -- often erring on the side of the "victim" without getting his facts straight. I know a car dealership that was investigated by Zindler after they actually went above and beyond for an unreasonable customer. He laid out a rant of "F-bombs" and threats to smear the dealership when they simply tried to explain their side of the story. Later, when he discovered the dealership had actually done no wrong, he offered no apologies. He just simply went away and didn't air the report.

But, I guess at times like this, we should concentrate on the good things. I suppose he did more good than bad.

There's a list of small "victories" over the decades for Mr. Zindler on behalf of your common man/woman/everyday citizen that they may not have been able to realize if not for his intervention (regardless of his motivation). Nevertheless, there are some instances of Mr. Zindler making some erroneous claims over the years, which is wont to happen if you do enough of the type of "shame on you" reporting that he's done.

Like, Dal, I tend to think that Marvin had more of a positive impact in this role than a negative one.

Or course, an icon is an icon, and with former 49ers coach Bill Walsh also dying today, you're only reminded that much more of how television and the people we've seen displayed on it over the years have impacted our social development.

Guest Marty

Here's one positive impact that i read on his blog that will make you think of him everytime you see one.

Ranking high among Marvin's accomplishments was his investigation into restaurant health violations that resulted in a nationwide requirement for salad "sneeze bars.

Anyone know if Woodlawn cemetary off of Antoine and I-10 was of any significance to Marvin? Is his family plot there with the grave of his parents or was this place picked for no such reason? I feel he should be put to rest in Glenwood Cemetary instead with all of the other Houstonians that were known well and can be visited in one place.

Marvin's obit in the Chronicle says visitation will be from 3-7 p.m. today at George H. Lewis & Sons Funeral Home, 1010 Bering.

His funeral is set for 11 am Wednesday at Congregation Beth Israel, 5600 N. Braeswood.

Burial will follow at Congregation Beth Israel Memorial Gardens at 1111 Antoine in Spring Branch. This cemetery is also known as Woodlawn.

I believe this is an extension of the historic Beth Israel Cemetery just west of downtown, which ran out of available space decades ago.

Archived