Rhea Langham

johnfinley

Has anybody heard of her, or have any info on her house? She was Clark Gable's second (and much older) wife. She apparantly lived in the Montrose area, and had a second home built for Clark built in the same area. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Thanks!

John

:D

the clark gable house i've read about is on hyde park...and i believe the cross street is whitney. it's on the se corner.

EDIT: Performing in a Houston play, Clark met wealthy Texas socialite Ria Langham, who was seventeen years his senior. They moved to New York where Goebel appeared in various shows while they lived on her money in luxury. With Langham, Gable learned the mannerisms and social graces of the very rich. When Gable landed a role in a play in Los Angeles, Langham followed him.

scroll down here for a pic

This one? I was told years ago this is where Gable lived:

post-1162-1183096165.jpg

I though it was just an apartment but it is connected to the house on the left by an enclosed courtyard; it's the house on the left that listed on HCAD, 1928, I think.

There is more here than you asked for, but you might find it interesting since there are a lot of Houston connections in it...

Alfred Thomas Lucas was a confidant of Jesse Jones and shared an apartment with him at the Rice Hotel. He was a prominent builder and owner of two brick companies in Houston. In 1905, he began building a huge house for his wife, Jenny Cheesman and their two children, but she died before they could move into the new home at Milam and Gray. In 1910, Lucas went into Lechenger's Jewelry Store at 425 Main, where he met a beautiful woman named Maria. After a brief courtship, Lucas and Maria, known all her life as Ria, were married in May of 1910. They moved into his new mansion and she proceeded to decorate it, with assistance from Stowers Furniture Store, in maroon and pink colors. They went on a belated honeymoon trip to Europe in September, 1910, and returned with one of Houston's first electric automobiles.

Lucas and Ria had their first child, GeorgeAnna, in February, 1913. They had two more children before Lucas died in 1922. During the time that Ria was matron of the Lucas mansion at 2017 Milam and Gray, she and her children attended many shows at the Palace Theater, which was located on Texas Ave. where the Chronicle Building now stands.

Ria later met and soon married Daniel Langham in 1924 and moved into his home located in the 3200 block of Del Monte in the early development of River Oaks. After an unsettled marriage, they divorced two years later. It was about this time that Clark Gable had come to Houston from New York with a touring theater company. He was still a relatively unknown actor and he took up temporary residence in an apartment behind what is now the Felix Mexican Restaurant on Grant and Westheimer. Ria had seen several performances of Gable at the Palace and was quite smitten by his good looks. Booth Franklin, Ria's brother, was an actor and acquaintance of Gable and introduced his sister, Ria Franklin Prentiss Lucas Langham, to him. Even though Ria was 17 years older, it was love at first sight for both her and Clark. They were married in 1930, just a few days after Gable's divorce from his first wife, Josephine Dillon, 14 years older than he, whom he had married in 1924. Clark and Ria moved to New York and, ultimately, to Los Angeles.

In 1935, Ria's daughter, GeorgeAnna, announced her engagement to Dr. Thomas Burke, a Houston physician. This pleased Gable immensely, because he did not like the man she had been seeing in Los Angeles. GeorgeAnna wanted to be married in Houston, where she had grown up and had many friends as a result of her family living there for a number of years. The wedding took place in the 5300 block of Institute Lane in the Museum District at the home of Dr. Charles Green. In 1935, as today, Institute Lane was one block long, and the entire area was flooded with Gable fans eager to see the new "King of Hollywood", as well as Dr. Burke's bride and her equally beautiful mother, Ria Gable.

After the wedding, Clark and Ria returned to Hollywood where he told Ria several years later that he could no longer live without the beautiful young actress, Carole Lombard, he had been seeing and asked Ria for a divorce. She agreed and their divorce was finalized in Las Vegas in 1939.

GeorgeAnna Lucas, Gable, Maria Prentiss Lucas Langham Gable

at the wedding of GeorgeAnna to Dr. Thomas Burke. Gable gave the bride away

GableHouston6.jpg

Before Lombard, he was HEAVILY involved with Joan Crawford off and on before he met Lobard, and even had another breif affair with Joan while he was married to Lombard! On an aquantances website, www.joancrawfordbest.com, there is a picture of Joan, Ria, Gable, and a fourth person that's name escapes me. In some weird twist of fate, gable had slept with JOan, Ria, the fourth persson. In another picture from the same night, Gable is lighting Joan's cigarette as she looks on at Ria! I'll ask around on the J.C. board to see where those pictures are located.

Before Lombard, he was HEAVILY involved with Joan Crawford off and on before he met Lobard, and even had another breif affair with Joan while he was married to Lombard! On an aquantances website, www.joancrawfordbest.com, there is a picture of Joan, Ria, Gable, and a fourth person that's name escapes me. In some weird twist of fate, gable had slept with JOan, Ria, the fourth persson. In another picture from the same night, Gable is lighting Joan's cigarette as she looks on at Ria! I'll ask around on the J.C. board to see where those pictures are located.

i was also reading that he had a child with Loretta Young. that surprised me cause she had a very prim and proper image.

i was also reading that he had a child with Loretta Young. that surprised me cause she had a very prim and proper image.

A brief affair with Loretta Young produced a daughter, who was born in France. Loretta claimed she was adopted, and Gable never acknowledged that he was the father.

Archived