Ulysses Watkins Mansion At 2552 County Rd. 59

They're on Southfork/Dallas a mile west of 288.

2 massively gigantic huge mansions right next to each other.

Doesn't look like anyone lives there anymore. I see a car every once in a while at the "small" one using one of it's 10 car garages.

Anyone know anything about those..it's history? Who built them? Are they haunted? Dr. Ulysses Watkins

Edit:  Looks like the addresses are as follows.

Mansion 1: 2552 County Rd. 59

Mansion 2: 11800 Magnolia Pkwy.

• Like 1

From what my realtor told me when I was looking at buying in the Southfork area, originally that subdivision was slated for other mansion types on a golf course but the sales were slow to nonexistant, resulting in a bankruptcy. The subdivision was then bought and further subdivided into the lots that are now being sold. The end result is some out of place homes in the subdivision.

Brian

They're on Southfork/Dallas a mile west of 288.

2 massively gigantic huge mansions right next to each other.

Doesn't look like anyone lives there anymore. I see a car every once in a while at the "small" one using one of it's 10 car garages.

Anyone know anything about those..it's history? Who built them? Are they haunted?

YES! I can see these from behind my house. There are 2 HUGE ones. One has 10 garages. The other one has a deck overlooking what used to be open pasture (now its a southern trails construction site). And there is another huge house under construction next to those 2.

From what my realtor told me when I was looking at buying in the Southfork area, originally that subdivision was slated for other mansion types on a golf course but the sales were slow to nonexistant, resulting in a bankruptcy. The subdivision was then bought and further subdivided into the lots that are now being sold. The end result is some out of place homes in the subdivision.

Brian

I think you're thinking of the subdivision a little further down 288. I think it used to be called Rio Somethingoranother.....the place with the big rock formation as you turn in off of 288.

I think you're thinking of the subdivision a little further down 288. I think it used to be called Rio Somethingoranother.....the place with the big rock formation as you turn in off of 288.

12thManFan, I think you are referring to Rodeo Palms, which has a custom section with dozens of (poorly maintained) lots, but only about 4 homes. A new one was recently started, which is odd considering that the section almost looks abandoned. When it finally builds out, it may be nice, but I wouldn't invest $500k+ in what appears to be a dud right now.

However, that is not where the 2 ridiculously large homes are. Both are on County Road 59. One is currently on the market at $3.7M (reduced from $5M)for 31,696 square feet. That will get you 13 bedrooms, 15 full bath + 6 half-baths, and a 7-car garage (all according to the listing). For the curious, it can be seen at www.har.com/7531757. Take note of the drop ceiling throughout. How fancy!!! HA HA HA! The home is owned by Dr. Ulysses Watkins. The property next door is owned by Family Care Medical Clinic, which Dr. Watkins is affiliated with and likely owns. This home is over 60,000 square feet. It is said to have 20 bedrooms and a 13-car garage.

yuck!

and the tax records show that in 2004 the place was owned by "Family Care Medical / Ulysses W. Watkins, M.D."

was it maybe used as a clinic? :unsure:

I think it's always been residential, but it's big enough to be a dorm. Maybe someone will make it into some type of rehab facility. There are plenty of bedrooms.

that has to be the most "plain jane" mansion kitchen in existence.

the house seems very ummm... maybe the word is utilitarian.

the space is there but decor does not fit "mansion".

the inside looks like a 1980's community center or something (from the har pictures anyway)

that has to be the most "plain jane" mansion kitchen in existence.

the house seems very ummm... maybe the word is utilitarian.

the space is there but decor does not fit "mansion".

the inside looks like a 1980's community center or something (from the har pictures anyway)

Clearly this was used for something other than a personal residence; the builder's package fixtures, the dropped ceiling w/ flourescent lighting, the conference room,the office, the game room looks like a break area, th pool area looks like a public facility. I am thinking that this was some sort of group home. Man that's some TRASH!!

i searched a little for "family care medical" in manvel, tx but didn't come up with anything.

i agree with my original guess and others' thoughts - that from the looks of it (rooms, cielings) it was some sort of "facility"

yuck!

and the tax records show that in 2004 the place was owned by "Family Care Medical / Ulysses W. Watkins, M.D."

was it maybe used as a clinic? :unsure:

here's the tax record, too:

http://propaccess.trueautomation.com/Clien...?prop_id=168057

i searched a little for "family care medical" in manvel, tx but didn't come up with anything.

i agree with my original guess and others' thoughts - that from the looks of it (rooms, cielings) it was some sort of "facility"

here's the tax record, too:

http://propaccess.trueautomation.com/Clien...?prop_id=168057

i don't think it's in manvel:

found this at the city of pearland site - not that it provides any more details though...

CONSIDERATION AND POSSIBLE ACTION

Oh MY GOD.

All I can hope for is that this was NOT built as a single-family home.

The drop ceiling. The lighting. The cabinets. The wall-to-wall 1982 carpeting in the living room and DINING room. The furniture even has plastic covering!

VOMIT.

• Like 1

Watkins' clinic was/is off of South Post Oak by Windsor Village...he also had healthcare products in a factory that adjoins the site...Watkins also owned UW Entertainment Center off of Almeda

But his first house was in Briargate behind me and it was a regular house but he added on to it and it had flourescent lighting in it...

didn't know he splurged like that.......

• 1 month later...

I almost literally fell out of my chair, I was laughing so hard.

Now, if you wanted to start your own CULT, this is without a doubt, THE best place in the Houston Metro-area to do it. If David Coresh would have been around, I think he would have moved from Waco. Man, i still have the giggles. This house just proves that the good Doctor's taste is all in his mouth.

• 1 year later...