Developments On Studewood St.

heightsfan

Good Afternoon All,

hope your day goes well !

Any word on the Cajun Restaurant on Studewood near Merill street ? I think it use to be a daycare ?

I noticed a sign today coming soon Cajun Restaurant

Also on Studewood near the carwash is that going to be a weekend market for vendors ? I see a sign

for lease retail booths

Thank You

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The house on Studewood near the carwash is going to be a salon/day spa.

Good Afternoon All,

hope your day goes well !

Any word on the Cajun Restaurant on Studewood near Merill street ? I think it use to be a daycare ?

I noticed a sign today coming soon Cajun Restaurant

Also on Studewood near the carwash is that going to be a weekend market for vendors ? I see a sign

for lease retail booths

Thank You

With a name like that... wow. What was "just south of the Pig Stand" - that old antique warehouse?

any updates, recent news , or feedback on what appears to be a new coffee shop in the works for the neighborhood. It will be in the strip mall between White Oak and 11th

The former daycare in the yellow house at 9th and Studewood has a sign up stating that it will soon be "The Big Mamou" - Cajun Restaraunt and Coffee Bar . I am intrigued.

Lesbian bar? (not joking).

Probably not. Monica Pope and her partner are the proprietors, and may have adopted the name with some play on words.

Should be great. Her focus on regional provisons would combine well with a more laid back dive (not that T'afia is all that formal).

With this and Benjy's new location hitting the strip, I'm one happy camper.

Probably not. Monica Pope and her partner are the proprietors, and may have adopted the name with some play on words.

Should be great. Her focus on regional provisons would combine well with a more laid back dive (not that T'afia is all that formal).

With this and Benjy's new location hitting the strip, I'm one happy camper.

So, is Benjy's in the Heights a done deal? All I've heard is speculation up to this point...

So, is Benjy's in the Heights a done deal? All I've heard is speculation up to this point...

I don't know if it is a "done deal", but it was talked about in the chronicle about a month or so ago. I would assume that it's still a go.

Also, does anyone know when Dahrma Cafe is opening up in their new spot?

This doesn't sound like a retail or restaurant development, but it is on Studewood...

I just saw a large sign hanging where the hair salon used to be, next door to the little convenience store at Studewood and 8th. The sign says "City of Houston Field Office", and there were workers inside cleaning out the space - possibly the space where the laundromat is/was, as well, though I didn't look closely. Has anyone heard anything about it?

This doesn't sound like a retail or restaurant development, but it is on Studewood...

I just saw a large sign hanging where the hair salon used to be, next door to the little convenience store at Studewood and 8th. The sign says "City of Houston Field Office", and there were workers inside cleaning out the space - possibly the space where the laundromat is/was, as well, though I didn't look closely. Has anyone heard anything about it?

I just called 311 and they knew nothing about it.

The suite next door has had a TABC notice for an alcohol permit for about a month.

Wow. I am so excited about all this development.

As far as Monica Pope's restaurant: there used to be a little ice house just south of Washington called "Beavers." It was old school and I was dismayed to see that it has closed. Anyway, Monica's new venture may even be in that building and she is keeping the name. =)

• 4 weeks later...
It's on Houston Ave, just South of I-10, can't remember the cross street, but it's on the East side of the street near Montalbano...

It's at Crockett. My wife and I have been on Summer street since June of last year and we're definitely looking forward to Dharma on Houston since it's just a couple of blocks away.

Wow. I am so excited about all this development.

As far as Monica Pope's restaurant: there used to be a little ice house just south of Washington called "Beavers." It was old school and I was dismayed to see that it has closed. Anyway, Monica's new venture may even be in that building and she is keeping the name. =)

That's exactly right

Yeah, I saw in the Chron recently that Beaver's is supposed to open this summer. They describe it as "a modern-day icehouse with the best damn BBQ in Houston.'' That should be fun. Those of you who live in the Heights should keep us posted on the grand opening.

I was at T'afias last week and they confirmed a September opening, although I dont have a specific day. If you're wanting to try some of the bbq brisket they will have at Beavers, hit T'afias during their weekday happy hour. Their appetizer menu is free and on this menu is the brisket they will have at Beavers.

Back to Studewood, note that the White Linen Nights first Saturday in August (4th) from 6-10pm will also carry free samples from the as-of-yet-unopened Big Mamou Cajun restaurant on Studewood. I believe they are set to open this fall.

Also a couple blocks north of Big Mamou, noticed that little building on the east side of Studewood just south of the Tamale Factory on 11th now has a 'sold' sign on it. Any word on what that could be?

Also a couple blocks north of Big Mamou, noticed that little building on the east side of Studewood just south of the Tamale Factory on 11th now has a 'sold' sign on it. Any word on what that could be?

The former owner posts on here from time to time. Perhaps she'll drop us a hint.

• 2 months later...
Good Afternoon All,

Any updates on the following

Studewood & 8th next to the store I noticed some lamps being installed ???

Status on Big Mamou Cajun Restaurant ???

What about the new owner of Northwest Mall ???

Whats the word behind Someburger ???

The lamps are now installed.

It is still not a restaurant.

He owns a mall.

Hamburgers

Hope that helps. ;)

I am glad to see Monica kept the Beaver name.

Louis Beaver opened that new location for his Ice House, and then, sadly, died.

He used to run Beaver's Ice House over on Shepard around 26th street. I think it is called Buffalo Fred's now.

Louis was often seen hanging around (drinking at) The Shiloh. He was a nice guy.

Archived