Proposed W Hotel In Uptown

W Hotel  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What Development will Land the "W" in Houston?

• BLVD Place
    • Westcreek - Whatever it's called
    • Highland Village
    • Somewhere else
    • Don't kid yourself. Houston can't support a "W"
    • Downtown (Even though it would be financial suicide

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is a rumor that waterway square in the woodlands will have a W hotel. i do not know if this means that the development company is courting W hotels or that W hotels are interested in placing one here.

i guess i don't understand what makes this special. i stayed in one in new orleans and it was nice but nothing to get excited over. i think the zaazaa one is nicer.

I would have to echo this. Is there something special about W hotels?

I would be shocked if they put it out in the Woodlands. That wouldn't work. Galleria/Highland. The Derek sucks and everyone knows it.

They've got some tough competition with Zaza, even though it's not in the Galleria area. The thing about W is it's known and interntational which many people who come to Houston (i.e. from Mexico, etc) are going to the Galleria and want to stay over there. Maybe they will revamp the old Galleria Westin and make it a W. That hotel is old and dingy. That's my guess.

I am in the know:) However, i'm not the only one. There is a multitude of information floating around and I am told they haven't commited anywhere yet. But, they are searching for a "home".

i can confirm this, for what its worth.

they havent committed anywhere just yet but have narrowed it down to a select few sites.

edited to add: ill vote later, so it wont be as obvious.

:ph34r:

2 people really voted "Houston can't support a W". If someone really feels that way, I would like to know why they falsely think that?

There are a couple of jokers on here who can't get out of Houston fast enough and can't be taken all that seriously.

As for the poll question, I tend to think Uptown/Galleria before anywhere else, simply because of the current demographics and amenities.

My total outsider guess would be the River Oaks District.

I think Wulfe has "higher" aspirations for BLVD Place like the Ritz-Carlton. San Felipe @ Post Oak would be close enough to lure River Oaksers and Tanglewoodians out of their homes and into a Ritz-Carlton condo development complete with the works (access to house cleaning, concierge services, room service, etc...). I am not sure if that same market would be as enticed by a W-Hotel and condos.

W would be nice, but what would be really sweet would be a Mandarin Oriental. Got married at one in Hawaii, and they are *amazing*. Right now in the US I think they are only in NY, DC, SF, and Miami. Their web site says they're adding Boston, Chicago, Vegas, and Dallas. If Dallas can support it, we definitely can too. Heck of a lot more international business here, and they have the international reputation.

W would be nice, but what would be really sweet would be a Mandarin Oriental. Got married at one in Hawaii, and they are *amazing*. Right now in the US I think they are only in NY, DC, SF, and Miami. Their web site says they're adding Boston, Chicago, Vegas, and Dallas. If Dallas can support it, we definitely can too. Heck of a lot more international business here, and they have the international reputation.

You might just be on to something... ;):ph34r:

We couldn't support a Ritz Carlton!

We did for years. They had some serious management/ownership problems. That hotel is now the St. Regis (comparable quality) and seems to be doing just fine. There is absolutely no reason to think Houston could not support a Ritz-Carlton again.

Mandarin will go to Vegas way before it will ever be here. We will be bottom of the tothem poll on that one. Peninsula too. The W we can accomodate I'm pretty sure.

Quite the crystal ball you have there, considering the Las Vegas Mandarin Oriental is already under development and scheduled to open in 2009.

We couldn't support a Ritz Carlton!

What rock are you living under?

I did some PR for them way back when. Not sure why it changed to Luxury Hotel then St. Regis. None of the other ones have done that.

The restaurant is still pretty good there, particularly Sunday brunch but the hotel and rooms are old. There are better, newer, cooler places to stay now. Besides the hooker factor:) haha

What rock are you living under?

I did some PR for them way back when. Not sure why it changed to Luxury Hotel then St. Regis. None of the other ones have done that.

The restaurant is still pretty good there, particularly Sunday brunch but the hotel and rooms are old. There are better, newer, cooler places to stay now. Besides the hooker factor:) haha

I'm sorry - but I don't think my post deserved that insult.

Developing a Mandarin or Peninsula would cost in the $375 - $400K per key. This means, in rough hotel proforma view, you would have to consistently get a $350 average daily rate to support that cost. Houstonian gets the highest ADR in Houston, and it is in the mid to low $200's. I have little doubt that condos would sell at a high premium atop one of these hotels. They would be great. It is the hotel that doesn't make sense in that equation. That is why W seems to make sense. It is reasonable <- term used loosely, in its cost which stretches the lending community to believing development makes sense. Further, an owner can be found to take on the debt to operate the hotel. And, to boot, the condos get a premium over market.

Prediction. W will get built. It will be an out of town developer who believes Houstonians just "don't get it" yet and there is a $300 per night market just waiting to be tapped. Condos will go gangbusters. Hotel will change hands more than 3 times in the first 10 years of operation.

Mandarin or Peninsula will not get built here.

Wulfe may go with the Ritz, but i can promise you Ed won't be signing that note.

Actually, some others have changed. Whoever it was that owned the Ritz-Carlton in Houston also owned a couple others (I specifically remember the Washington DC one). They all changed from Ritz-Carlton to other chains at about the same time. (I believe the old Ritz-Carlton in DC is now maybe a Westin? I don't remember all the details, but I believe Ritz-Carlton pulled their flag and the hotels ended up being sold... perhaps Starwood bought them.

Archived