Williams Tower At 2800 Post Oak Blvd.

DaTrain

Williams Tower - formerly known as Transco Tower

Height: 901 feet

64 stories

Circa: 1983

Architects: Johnson Burgee and Morris Aubry

Facts

- Then Transco Tower became Williams Tower when Transco Energy was bought out by Williams Energy Corp. in 1999

- Tallest building outside of any CBD

- Rotating beacon at night on roof every 15 seconds

- Williams Tower functions as two 32-floor towers stacked on top of each other, complete with separate lobbies, elevators, and garages.

- South of the building is a 3-acre park with a large fountain called the "Waterwall" (aka Transco Fountain), designed by the building's architects with Richard Fitzgerald & Partners. The fountain is a stunning work of hydraulic engineering.

- The top of the building features a beacon that sweeps the night sky over the Galleria area.

- Construction took only 16 months, a remarkably short time for a tower of such height.

2 Pics by Patrick Benders

ac9kg.gif

ac9yq.gif

WilliamsTower-001.jpg

Next four Pics by Mancuso

25470724.jpg

25470727.jpg

25470409.jpg

Former

• Like 2

Just like Intercontinental, it's always going to be Transco to me.

I didn't like the new lighting when I was down for X-mas. It doesn't do anything for the building except make it look planer than it appears during the day. I hope it was just the uptown x-mas lighting and not something permanent.

• Like 1

Ach, turn off those light stripes! Turn some lights on inside the building, and turn the beacon on at 6 instead of 7! (and don't turn it off til sunrise!)

• Like 1

When I came back down to Houston 2001 I was disappointed to hear about the name change. It was really strange because it has always been the Transco Tower to me and Williams Tower just doesn't have the same ring to it. I remember when they built it. I passed it on my way to work every morning. I think it's a beautiful building.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Williams Tower - formerly known as Transco Tower

Height:  901 feet

64 stories

Circa:  1983

Architects:  Johnson Burgee and Morris Aubry

Facts

- Then Transco Tower became Williams Tower when Transco Energy was bought out by Williams Energy Corp. in 1999

- Tallest building outside of any CBD

- Rotating beacon at night on roof every 15 seconds

- Williams Tower functions as two 32-floor towers stacked on top of each other, complete with separate lobbies, elevators, and garages.

- South of the building is a 3-acre park with a large fountain called the "Waterwall" (aka Transco Fountain), designed by the building's architects with Richard Fitzgerald & Partners. The fountain is a stunning work of hydraulic engineering.

- The top of the building features a beacon that sweeps the night sky over the Galleria area.

- Construction took only 16 months, a remarkably short time for a tower of such height.

2 Pics by Patrick Benders

ac9kg.gif

ac9yq.gif

WilliamsTower-001.jpg

Next four Pics by Mancuso

25470724.jpg

25470727.jpg

25470409.jpg

Former

• Like 1

^ hines intrests (the developer) has grown immensly since the 80's but has focused much of attention overseas.

You probably all know this...........but.............just FYI................Hines is behind much of the First Colony expansion.

Also.............overseas?..............where?.............. and why?

thanks.

m. :)

• Like 1

^ Where? Argentina, China, Brazil, Czech Republic, England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Poland, Russia, Mexico

Why? There's money to be made.

They are plenty active in the United States too. They managed the construction of the new ChevronTexaco Tower, they built and own Calpine Center. They still own a lot of properties around Houston and manage still more. Almost half of the "new devlopments" listed on their website are in the US.

• Like 1

^  Where?      Argentina, China, Brazil, Czech Republic, England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Poland,  Russia, Mexico

Why?  There's money to be made.

They are plenty active in the United States too.  They managed the construction of the new ChevronTexaco Tower,  they built and own Calpine Center.  They still own a lot of properties around Houston and manage still more.  Almost half of the "new devlopments" listed on their website are in the US.

The NEW TexecoChevron Tower?? Enlighten me. :)

m.

• Like 1

I was referring to 1500 Smith.  It's a new tower.  It's ChevronTexaco's.  Thus, the new ChevronTexaco Tower.  (I don't know what they are officially calling it.)

ahh, got it. Thanks.

Do you think there are any future plans (near future, I mean) for another tower in the Galleria area.............either residential or commercial? Or will the tower formerly known as Transco, be the icon for several more years.....maybe even decades? I just wonder.......if under the table...........or even above the table........there is some sort of unspoken rule for developers in that area........

"Nothing Supercedes the Williams Tower"........

Anyone know anything???

m.

• Like 1

I don't think there will be anything taller in Uptown Houston in the near future, or for that matter, the far future. Certainly not an office building in the near future. I believe the vacancy rates are currently too high for any substantial new office construction.

I would also be quite surprised to see anything residential go higher than Transco, especially in the near future. Personally, I think Uptown would look better with more shorter buildings (in the 35-40-50-60 story range), to fill in the area and make it more dense and urban.

Having said that, I would love to see a 70 story residential building, but I'd prefer to see it go downtown.

• Like 1

I don't think there will be anything taller in Uptown Houston in the near future, or for that matter, the far future.  Certainly not an office building in the near future.  I believe the vacancy rates are currently too high for any substantial new office construction.

I would also be quite surprised to see anything residential go higher than Transco, especially in the near future.  Personally, I think Uptown would look better with more shorter buildings (in the 35-40-50-60 story range), to fill in the area and make it more dense and urban. 

Having said that, I would love to see a 70 story residential building, but I'd prefer to see it go downtown.

Yeah,...............honestly, I agree.

Having more mid and low rise buildings fill in Uptown would be great.........

and having a 70+ storey stucture in the DT area would be a feather in the Houston cap............. But..who would fund such a deal? any thoughts?

m.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest KOKON Steel

'member when that dumb blond headed kid climbed up it a few years back??? Then he jumped off.

HAHAHA that was funny.

'course, he died.

LATER KOK

I don't think there will be anything taller in Uptown Houston in the near future, or for that matter, the far future.  Certainly not an office building in the near future.  I believe the vacancy rates are currently too high for any substantial new office construction.

I would also be quite surprised to see anything residential go higher than Transco, especially in the near future.  Personally, I think Uptown would look better with more shorter buildings (in the 35-40-50-60 story range), to fill in the area and make it more dense and urban. 

I just wonder if the Donald would even consider developing a highrise hotel/condos in the Uptown area? He seems to be everywhere these days.

I have been reading the posts. Is the plain truth this?? There really isn't a market for residential/commercial highrises right now? I mean a really tall one like Trump tower in Chicago, or Tampa, or Miami, or Las Vegas??

Give me hope...........somebody :(

m.

• Like 1

You Know the "Spider-Man" guy.

But isn't Donald Trump an architect- does he pick the locations?

the Steel K.

Donald Trump, to my knowledge, is only a developer. I think he has some say in how he wants his towers to look, but i believe he hires architects to create his vision.

m.

Guest KOKON Steel

well im only 17, but i thought he designed the AT&T building in NYC as well as Trump Taj Mahal.

And trump tower. I was watching the apprentice last night and i thought he said he designed his apartment really well. It was full of gold and stuff everywhere, and marble and whatnot.

it was a beautiful space. Very expensive which usually means very good design.

Thanks for the clarification.

Donald Trump is NOT an architect. Hes involved with real estate and does his own designing...which is way to gaudy for my taste but thats just me...i wouldnt say that something has a good design just because its expensive but thats your opinion...

Trophy Property...i understand what you are saying about K STEEL, the steel K, steel KOK??? what is up with that crap? based on what ive read i dont think you should go into the architecture profession KOKON...it doesnt seem like you have the background knowledge or wits about you that an architect should possess.

On the topic of the transco..err williams tower i think it is a very intriguing building...i like the tapered facade and angles of the building...and of course the search beacon on top like a crowning jewel...

• Like 1

And trump tower.  I was watching the apprentice last night and i thought he said he designed his apartment really well.  It was full of gold and stuff everywhere, and marble and whatnot. 

it was a beautiful space.  Very expensive which usually means very good design.

Oh dear...no, "very expensive" does NOT mean "very good design." It usually means tasteless, tacky, and very nuveau riche. Those with new money never

know how to properly use it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I am starting to wonder if Kokon Steel's posts are jokes or not.    Donald Trump is no more an architect than I am (for the record I am not).    Like Marc said he is a developer.  He is building the buildings, selling or leasing the space and managing the proccess from that point on.    The Donald rose to fame with ability to make mega deals in the 80's.  His father developed apartment buildings in Queens and was extremely successful.  Trump took over the company and levereged the portfolio to make large deal in Manhatten.    He almost lost it all in the 80's and 90's but managed to hold on to most of his trophy properties.    He owned and I think lost the Taj Mahal in Alantic City.  He is now famous for being famous.  Much like Paris Hilton if you ask me.  While he is extremely talented and Paris is a twit, they both bath in the public attention and are more famous than they should be in my opinion.

I am sure most already know all of this about Trump.    But he is not an architect whatsoever.

Even though I am a screaming liberal, I have a special affection for The Donald.

His perseverance; rise and fall.........amuses me.

And yes, sometimes, he does "design" some of his buildings.....but usually, in my opinion, those he has are awfully gawdy and have his name plastered all over them. Shameless self promotion. But thank you for affirming what I thought to be the truth. The Donald is a developer, not an architect.

m. :)

Guest Professional Hornblower

I met The Donald's older sister Gloria Trump back in '79. Her wig was gold. Her toothpicks were gold-plated. She knew a lot about architecture. She eschewed Central Park due to it's impedence into the real estate. She was an avid supporter of tearing the trees down (which I think we'd all agree) in order for more land to build beautiful skyscrapers on. She loathed the AT&T building as well as the Chrysler building and was once heard calling the World Trade Center towers "the tallest and most beautiful buildings in all the land." She also was a huge proponent in the construction of the Meadowlands (stadium where the Giants and Jets football teams play). She described it as "beautiful design, although lacking some surface-lot parking. Also, too many trees."

She called Lady Liberty "wonderful, and inspiring."

She called The Guggenheim by Frank Lloyd Wright "an error in judgement", and "another mistake by yet another horrible thinker."

She relieved herself on the Empire State building, saying "This was built by slave-labor! I do not stand for this! I do not think buildings should have been built by slave-labor, if we cannot use slaves ANYMORE! It's just not right. Our forefathers benefitted from cheap labor yet my brother has to go with a silver filling instead of a platinum filling when he visits the dentist."

Gloria Marcusus Trump b. (1934) d. (2001)

She'll be missed by this, and all righteous, architects.

:(