All-Time Best TV Reporters

Grippin

No mention of Jack Cato, are you kidding me. He had ALL the clout with HPD, so he could get the real story. He was A++ !

Yes, Jack Cato!

I freaked out when I was in LA around 1988 he was doing news there! I felt like I was home again in Houston. I was like, what's Jack doing here of all people? He eventually came back like I did. -_-:P

We can't leave out

Mr. Marvin Zindler

• 1 year later...

Not too many anchors in Houston (or anywhere I guess) have been outstanding reporters. Ron Stone was very good at both and got out from behind the desk more than most main anchors male or female. Art Rascon should go out more, he's a good no-nonsense reporter, I never feel like he's forcing the story on me. Glad you mentioned Ron Regan from KPRC, it's funny how most good reporters dont have to hype everything they do. Same with Lauck, just tell me the story and shape it in a context, I'll watch you every night. I'm with you completely about Dan O'Rourke, he would nail the lead story one night and the feel-good closer the next, was a good anchor too. Now stations seem pretty careful who they send out on the important stuff. Ch 2 pretty much leans on Phil Archer as the go-to guy. 11 is still searching for somebody after Nancy Holland. 13 has Art, he really ought to report full time IMO. Wish they would ask more from Melanie Lawson, she's smart and could deliver some good stories. It pays to be around for a while, did you see 13 borrow Bob Allen to do news insetad of sports after hurricane Ike, it was like he does it all the time.

I had kinda a crush on Jan Carson as a little kid.

I always really liked Steve Smith from Channel 11.

And of course, Ron Stone.

Of the big three local anchors from the 70s through my childhood, it's funny that the one I liked the least, Dave Ward, is reporting still. Although, some of my reasons for disliking him are off-camera, as, without revealing the relationship, I will say my family is acquainted with him.

Sam Saucedo from Channel 11 was good.

Does anyone remember a reporter with Channel 11 during the early 80s, I can't remember his name, but he had dark hair, eventually ended up being their designated reporter for all things NASA. During Alicia, he reported from the Flagship Hotel, and while he was giving a report a piece of stucco came off the balcony above him and nearly hit him?

There was an 11 reporter who was the Austin bureau chief who got a lot of talk. I forget his name, but it was one of those odd names that you're not supposed to forget. I never met him because he left 11 just before I joined, but for YEARS his name would be occasionally mentioned in the newsroom with reverence and fondness. That kind of respect is usually reserved for long-time anchors, and rarely for reporters so he must have been good.

Can anyone remember the name?

I had kinda a crush on Jan Carson as a little kid.

And of course, Ron Stone.

Of the big three local anchors from the 70s through my childhood, it's funny that the one I liked the least, Dave Ward, is reporting still. Although, some of my reasons for disliking him are off-camera, as, without revealing the relationship, I will say my family is acquainted with him.

Does anyone remember a reporter with Channel 11 during the early 80s, I can't remember his name, but he had dark hair, eventually ended up being their designated reporter for all things NASA. During Alicia, he reported from the Flagship Hotel, and while he was giving a report a piece of stucco came off the balcony above him and nearly hit him?

John Gettor i think.

There was an 11 reporter who was the Austin bureau chief who got a lot of talk. I forget his name, but it was one of those odd names that you're not supposed to forget. I never met him because he left 11 just before I joined, but for YEARS his name would be occasionally mentioned in the newsroom with reverence and fondness. That kind of respect is usually reserved for long-time anchors, and rarely for reporters so he must have been good.

i think he had a long moustache and quite a bit of grey hair right?

I agree that Art Rascon should hit the road more. He's a really bad teleprompter-reader but shines when he's reporting. His Bolivar reporting last week has been fantastic. Alas, now he's back in the studio (and a lot tanner).

Yeah, the dude is a bore in the studio. He is great when out and about.

a couple of sports anchors that i missed when they left were dan lovett (ktrk) and craig roberts. glad that craig is back on the air.

anyone remember dan connor who reported on the dean corryl murders? i was around 12 when that happened and remember that event as the first investigative reporting that covered days, maybe weeks.

It was closer to something like "Charles Ogg" or something.

It was John Getter, and he was one of the best TV reporters this town has ever had. Very intelligent and able to get in to very complicated stories and make sense to viewers without talking down or up to them. He had KHOU's NASA beat for a long time.

He was terminated in 1998, and joined fellow former reporter Norm Uhl in filing an age discrimination lawsuit against KHOU. I don't know how that came out. He left town and went to work for Space Hab, a private company working toward commercial development in space. I don't think he's still with them though.

Norm Uhl is now head of Public Information at HISD.

Maybe Jim Marsh?

Maybe Jim Marsh?

Nope, it was Norm Uhl, mentioned in the message above. Thanks to FilioScotia for jogging my memory. I never heard the name John Getter when I was at 11.

Norm Uhl, Steve Smith, and Sylvan Rodriguez were the three biggies. Even Dan Rather was only very rarely mentioned and it wasn't until my last year there that I heard someone mention that he was a KHOU alum. Naturally it was in connection with storm coverage.

I saw I worked for a short time with Steve and Sylvan, but never got to know either.

I agree that Art Rascon should hit the road more. He's a really bad teleprompter-reader but shines when he's reporting. His Bolivar reporting last week has been fantastic. Alas, now he's back in the studio (and a lot tanner).

I don't get it with Art Rascon. I thought his reports from Bolivar were goofy and akward.

Let's split this historically.

1960's to 1990's

Best News Anchors--Larry Rasco & Ron Stone (Channel 2), Steve Smith & Marlene McClintoch (Channel 11), Dave Ward (Channel 13)

Worst Anchors--Jan Carson, Linda Lorrell, Melanie Lawson, Elma Barrera (better as a reporter than anchor)

Best Weather--Doug Johnson PERIOD

Worst Weather--Gene Norman (too bad Ch 11 took a risk with him now, and the Norman Number for today is ZERO)

Best Sports--Bill Ennis, no one else can touch him.

Worst Sports--Bob whats his name w/Ch 13

Best Reporter--Dan O-Rourke hands down

Worst Report--TOo many to name

Present

Best News Anchors--Bill Balleza and Dominique Sachsa hands down. They are not talking heads like the 2 airheads on Ch 11. And poor Dave Ward needs to retire. Half of the time I can't understand a word he says

Worst Anchors--Greg and whatever the latest bimbo anchors name is on Ch 11. Dave and whoever is stuck with him on Ch 13. And Ch 26, fire your anchors and run more King of the Hill reruns or something. It is overly painful to watch you folks.

Best Weather--Frank Billingsley

Worst Weather--2 time looser Gene Norman. Shoulda stayed in Hotlanta.

Best Sports--Randy McAvoy and Gif Nielsen tie. Too bad Gif has to put up with the BS at Ch 11.

Worst SPorts--Whoever is doing Ch. 13 sports on whatever night.

Best Reporter--Frank Billingsley. If you've seen his reports related to Ike, he deserves an Emmy.

Worst Reporter--Wayno Dolcho.....if I see one more posed storm shot in 25 mph wind with him acting like the umbrella is gonna blow away I will throw something at my tv.

Channel 2 got a lot of guff since the Washington Post folks bought it. But as a native Houstonian of 52+ years I have to say that for the present time Channel 2 seems to have gotten its act together moreso than the rest of the players. The Hurricane Ike coverage by 2 has been outstanding....no fear mongering, no sensationalism, they have been very educational and (I hate to say it this way) but neighborly. I grew up in a house where you were not allowed to watch anything except Channel 2 news and NBC nightly news. In the early 1990's I started watching Ch 11 because of Steve Smith and the departure of Ron Stone and Doug Johnson. When they hired the 2 talking heads on Ch 11 and ran Dr Neil off (course he also sunk his own ship when he refused to change the forecast for Rita even though it did change course) I gave up and went to Ch 2. Honestly I think they have the best local news in town (except for the wheel for fortune criminal thing that I still don't understand).

Agree or disagree with me....for now I am a Ch 2 fan. Oh yeah, and Eric Berger with the Chronicle. The guy is an amazing science guy and reporter.

I'm a relatively new Houstonian (since 2005) but here's my impressions...

For morning program overall, I really enjoy Channel 13, although Tom Koch is kinda weird. Casey Curry's weather is outstanding... always very informative and welcoming. She also did a phenomenal job covering Hurricane Ike.

For evening news, I have to go with local 2--- very well-produced program. Dominique Sachse is a great anchor. I'm still a little partial to channel 13 in some respects though. Wayne Dolcefino's voice annoys me, but I really enjoyed his 13 Undercover series on North Forest ISD. He obviously pales in comparison to Marvin Zindler. I think Erik Barajas and Gina Gaston will make the ultimate evening news team once Dave Ward retires.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see Larry Rasco's name mentioned. I agree that he and Ron Stone were the best achors Houston ever had with Dave Ward pretty claose at #2.

I was friends with Amanda Arnold at KHOU and really liked her. I also liked Jan Carson, particularly when she was at KTRK in the 1970s. Anyone remember Ginger Casey at 26? I also miss Fran Fawcett over there. Mike Barajas has done a good job.

As for sports, Bill Worrell and Ron Franklin were excellent as is Mark Berman.

Worst? Tom Siler on the weather at KHOU and Jose Grinan at KRIV.

John Gettor i think.

YES! As soon as I read it, the name rang true. Thank you!

I'm really not a fan of KPRC's morning team. Lauren Freeman is a dingbat - obviously chosen for her looks and nothing else. The traffic girl reminds me of Jackie from "That 70's Show". Owen Conflentes is okay, I guess.

I found an interesting article on Getter being laid off from KHOU due to age discrimination

http://www.houstonpress.com/1998-04-30/new...pirit-of-texas/

Archived