Ivy District: Mixed-Use Development In Pearland

clearman

Only 15 min from TMC? This development must have been in-potential for quite some time. No wonder it's so upscale.

? I don't understand what you mean by "in-potential." Is that a developer phrase?

If you are questioning the 15 minutes from the TMC, I have to say that despite all the talk about the traffic on 288, I have driven to Pearland countless times, since we are looking at houses there. It does take 15 minutes from the museum district or med center. I'm sure it's much worse during rush hour, but it takes me 30 minutes to get from UH to Rice at rush hour, so who's going to use rush hour as a measure of travel time (especially in a promotion). Plus, rush hour on 288 is much briefer than, say, rush hour on the Katy, which as far as I can tell lasts all day.

? I don't understand what you mean by "in-potential." Is that a developer phrase?

If you are questioning the 15 minutes from the TMC, I have to say that despite all the talk about the traffic on 288, I have driven to Pearland countless times, since we are looking at houses there. It does take 15 minutes from the museum district or med center. I'm sure it's much worse during rush hour, but it takes me 30 minutes to get from UH to Rice at rush hour, so who's going to use rush hour as a measure of travel time (especially in a promotion). Plus, rush hour on 288 is much briefer than, say, rush hour on the Katy, which as far as I can tell lasts all day.

No, definitely not a developer's phrase, not as far as I know. I just wasn't sure how to phrase the fact that I have long felt like that particular area should have been built up a long time ago but for some reason was left alone until now. And now that people are realizing it's not far at all from the TMC, I am not suprised that the development occurring there is of (what I think is) very high quality.

I guess I would be interested to know how/why Pearland was left alone for so long. I do like this "Waterlight District" thing and think the concept is somewhat novel for the Houston area. The presidents thing is somewhat dorky, however.

No, definitely not a developer's phrase, not as far as I know. I just wasn't sure how to phrase the fact that I have long felt like that particular area should have been built up a long time ago but for some reason was left alone until now. And now that people are realizing it's not far at all from the TMC, I am not suprised that the development occurring there is of (what I think is) very high quality.

I guess I would be interested to know how/why Pearland was left alone for so long. I do like this "Waterlight District" thing and think the concept is somewhat novel for the Houston area. The presidents thing is somewhat dorky, however.

Oh, okay, I see. I agree!

In all honesty I think Pearland was left alone for a couple of reasons. The first was that although 288 has been there for a while, that area of west Pearland did not really kick off until the beltway was built on that side of town. Southwyke became Silverlake and boom, the rest is history. The second reason is that for many years west side of Pearland = Flooding. Many developers were hesitant to get involved in the area. The other reason is one I have spoke about in another post about a west side Pearland park and ride. Old money/ power in Pearland really resides east of 35 and quite frankly no one really cared about the other end of Pearland. West Pearland had the lower income and less appealing demographics for many years. The idea has always been there as I can rememeber looking at houses in Southwyke in 1983 when it was still new and listening to the sales agent tout the wonders of being 15 minutes from the medical center. The sales pitch hasn't changed, just the number of people and the number of developers willing to invest money in the area.

what they fail to realize also is that "old" Missouri City is only 8 or so miles away and they possess alot of spending power out there as there was no where to go (Malls that is) except to Sugar Land or the Galleria....Pearland opens up, you have another 20,000 people to the west off 2234 you have access to...

also..Pearland is south of South Park, Sunnyside, etc....those areas have people but there is a lack of commerce out there with Gulfgate being the closest.....it was bound to happen

what they fail to realize also is that "old" Missouri City is only 8 or so miles away and they possess alot of spending power out there as there was no where to go (Malls that is) except to Sugar Land or the Galleria....Pearland opens up, you have another 20,000 people to the west off 2234 you have access to...

also..Pearland is south of South Park, Sunnyside, etc....those areas have people but there is a lack of commerce out there with Gulfgate being the closest.....it was bound to happen

You just explained where the "less appealing demographics" brerrabbit mentioned come from. Honestly I have several friends that have looked at moving to the area and this is the biggest deterent for them. They are surprised driving into Shadow Creek Ranch at the "diversity".

You just explained where the "less appealing demographics" brerrabbit mentioned come from. Honestly I have several friends that have looked at moving to the area and this is the biggest deterent for them. They are surprised driving into Shadow Creek Ranch at the "diversity".

Can you elaborate further on the "diversity"? Surprised good or surprised bad. Good meaning: they thought it was all one particular demographic and then they saw more of what they didn't expect. Bad meaning: they thought it was all one particular demographic and then they saw more of what they didn't expect. Fill in the blanks as necessary.

Can you elaborate further on the "diversity"? Surprised good or surprised bad. Good meaning: they thought it was all one particular demographic and then they saw more of what they didn't expect. Bad meaning: they thought it was all one particular demographic and then they saw more of what they didn't expect. Fill in the blanks as necessary.

They were surprised and or turned off by the number of african americans living and or shopping in the area.

They were surprised and or turned off by the number of african americans living and or shopping in the area.

Interesting to say the least. I have noticed a plethora of all races in and around Shadow Creek. I can't say with certainty that there are more of any one race than the other. I do feel that some people get turned off if they see even one black family lurking around. What can you do? Clearly the "powers that be" don't mind investing in the Shadow Creek area, so it must be more than skin color that drives business decisions.

On a side note I've asked a few of my Caucasion brothers what the population of Af. Am. is in this country. I get answers like 50%, 40%, 60%. The reality is that we are less than 12% of the US population. Why do you think that they were so far off? The answer might give you insight into why some people see "the brothas" and think "there goes the neighborhood".

amazing....simply amazing...

I don't need a real estate license or a Phd in rocket science to know anytime you build a new, shiny neighborhood with homes ranging from low to high close to minority neighborhoods, growth patters will follow that way...

it's been going on in Houston for decades...look at these patterns below towards Pearland...Ray Charles could see this coming

WHITES (began and migrated to)

South Park (inside 610) to Bellfort (Crestmont area) to Telephone Road/Fuqua (Gulf Meadows) to Pearland

BLACKS/HISPANICS

South Park/Sunnyside to Bellfort (Crestmont area) to Telephone Road/Fuqua (Gulf Meadows) to Pearland or 3rd Ward to Missouri City to Pearland

any a major street that cuts through a major africian american area, we will follow....

Cullen is 518 and ends in Pearland

2234/McHard is in Missouri City and ends at 288 but will eventually run all the way to Pearland uninterrupted

MLK will run all the way through along with Scott....

why run?

Interesting to say the least. I have noticed a plethora of all races in and around Shadow Creek. I can't say with certainty that there are more of any one race than the other. I do feel that some people get turned off if they see even one black family lurking around. What can you do? Clearly the "powers that be" don't mind investing in the Shadow Creek area, so it must be more than skin color that drives business decisions.

On a side note I've asked a few of my Caucasion brothers what the population of Af. Am. is in this country. I get answers like 50%, 40%, 60%. The reality is that we are less than 12% of the US population. Why do you think that they were so far off? The answer might give you insight into why some people see "the brothas" and think "there goes the neighborhood".

I think the answer means more than that. I am just trying to keep it real.

Sometimes, in someplaces, when our darker skin bretheren move into a neighborhood in numbers, (let's say using your numbers) for instance, if the number goes over 12% some people (not just white folk) get uncomfortable and move. At some point this trend multiplies because for whatever reason a certain portion of the populous likes to live with people they are comfortable with. So now the demographics for that neighborhood are near the 40%, 50%, 60% and all of the sudden no one feels comfortable, (There are burgalur bars on the windows for instance) so everyone who can moves down the street to the new shiny neighborhood (into the biggest mortgage they can afford, out of fear) and the original neighborhood continues to decline. Fear becomes reality sometimes by our actions.

I am just trying to be candid about people's opinions I have heard about the area. I really hope this development revitalizes the area and people of all colors continue to move there and create there own reality of west pearland. I think the heads look corny too, hopefully once they are incorporated into a theme and some landscaping they will look patriotic? I asked a guy at work about your population quiz, he guessed 26%

Edited by westguy76

I think the answer means more than that. I am just trying to keep it real.

Sometimes, in someplaces, when our darker skin bretheren move into a neighborhood in numbers, (let's say using your numbers) for instance, if the number goes over 12% some people (not just white folk) get uncomfortable and move. At some point this trend multiplies because for whatever reason a certain portion of the populous likes to live with people they are comfortable with. So now the demographics for that neighborhood are near the 40%, 50%, 60% and all of the sudden no one feels comfortable, (There are burgalur bars on the windows for instance) so everyone who can moves down the street to the new shiny neighborhood (into the biggest mortgage they can afford, out of fear) and the original neighborhood continues to decline. Fear becomes reality sometimes by our actions.

I am just trying to be candid about people's opinions I have heard about the area. I really hope this development revitalizes the area and people of all colors continue to move there and create there own reality of west pearland. I think the heads look corny too, hopefully once they are incorporated into a theme and some landscaping they will look patriotic? I asked a guy at work about your population quiz, he guessed 26%

Not everybody goes as high as 40% - 60%, but even 26% (odd number to guess BTW) is over twice the reality. Still interesting.

I'm in SCR in one of the neighborhoods where homes originally were built in the $160-$260k range, the vast majority being <$200k.

My neighborhood is extremely diverse. Just going down my street from the houses I know:

Black

Asian

White

Black (was white originally)

White

Asian

Black

Black

Asian

White

White

Black

Indian

Asian/Hispanic

White

Hispanic

Hispanic

Black

South American?

French Canadian? (white)

Then there is a cul-de-sac where 4 of the 6 are Black, other 2 white.

It's probably higher % black then most would expect. We like the neighborhood quite a bit.

If everyone was blind and transported to a unknown area and had to live the rest of there lives like that, would issues of race matter? (think about it). Once you think about it you will understand that most are blind with there eyes wide open.

Edited by 97saturn

I'm in Southern Trails, just south of SCR. I think my street is fairly representative of ST, and it has a diverse mix. My neighbors consist of 2 asian (Vietnamese-American) families, 2 black families, 1 Indian family, 2 white families, and 2 mixed families (white-asian, white-hispanic). I haven't been living here long, but everyone seems nice (we are all fairly new to the street), and the vibe seems good. I'm optomistic.

So did a thread about the "Waterlights District" get turned into a discussion of race? I don't get it.

Anyhow, my street has 4 white/anglo households (two of whom are gay or lesbian), 3 African-American/black households, 2 Asian-American households, 1 Hispanic household, and one mixed-race Hispanic/Asian-American household. I tell people I'm living in a little United Nations, or maybe a little melting pot. This isn't the old one-race-versus-another-race situation of the 1960s. This is just people, living as neighbors, and it's part of what I love about living here in SCR.

Of course, my point of view is someone who grew up as a Air Force brat, lived in Japan and Guam before finishing growing up in majority-Hispanic San Antonio, lived in black-majority DC, lived in a mixed-race neighborhood in San Diego, lived in East-End Galveston, and now I'm here. My two brothers both also married women of a different race (well, they're all of the human race, but you know what I mean). I just think this is normal. We're all people first.

My demographics comment was not meant to turn the discussion to race but merely an attempt to explain why west Pearland had not been developed sooner. All the attributes that developers are touting today ( 15 minutes to the Medical Center, etc) were appropriate to the discussion in the early 80's when they first built Southwycke. The diversity of the area is certainly one of the things that I think has contributed to its growth. My only concern as I have stated on numerous other threads is the rapid growth without much thought to the consiquinces of that growth. I commented on the Pearland blog at the Chronicle that my fear for 518 from Friendswood to 288 is that it will become the 1960 of this decade. Drive 1960 from 45 to 249 sometime and look at the general run down state of the area. Unchecked growth caused the addition of numerous strip centers and neighborhoods to the area that added tons of traffic lights and congestion ruining the visual appeal and mobility in the area. 518 is headed the same way. There are numerous strip centers that are new with no tenants and more being built every day. At McClean and 518 in front of the movie theatres is an addition that has gone unleased for over four years and yet developers continue to build. There are no less than 8 signs between 2351 and 288 advertising new retail centers going in with all the unrented ones still out there. Pearlands master plan that City Council has so often touted is not being followed and their unbridled enthusiasm for the additional revenues from taxes have caused them to throw the plan out the window. The Waterlight district is a great project and more power to the developers but I really don't understand how so many other developers continue to see the need to build in an over supplied market that is Pearland today.

Don't see how you can compare a big development like the Waterlight District to small strip centers. Retailers would located easily into a development like WD over a strip center down away from the freeway.

again...MLK, Cullen and Scott will all flow freely into 518.....if you fear the natural growth, you may as well start looking past Angleton for the next getaway community......

Hmm, I wonder why residents on MLK, Cullen, and Scott haven't moved to Bellaire or West University. After all, MLK, Cullen, and Scott pretty much flow freely into those neighborhoods. And why haven't the lower income neighborhoods bordering I45N expanded westward into the Heights? And why hasn't the Galleria become an extension of the Third Ward - isn't it just minutes away?

Please stop with the "OH NO, PEOPLE WILL BE ATTRACTED TO PEARLAND" nonsense. Every successful area / city in Houston is surrounded by lower income neighborhoods, that's just how it is in a metropolis.

mlk, cullen, scott stop at 3rd ward....pull out a map please.....

it's natural movement....developers are greedy and will build affordable housing by any means necessary in certain areas which makes it easy to move out there....

technically...the I-45 north folks have migrated north to Spring and 1960.....

mlk, cullen, scott stop at 3rd ward....pull out a map please.....

it's natural movement....developers are greedy and will build affordable housing by any means necessary in certain areas which makes it easy to move out there....

technically...the I-45 north folks have migrated north to Spring and 1960.....

Depends on what you mean by "affordable" housing. If you mean homes similar to what's being built in City Park, then I doubt if you'll see that in Pearland.