Ivy District: Mixed-Use Development In Pearland

clearman

There is a sign up near the Bass Pro shops construction at the Spectrum exit off 288 showing the "Waterlight District" with a water taxi in the picture.

Anyone know about this Woodlandsesque development?

• Like 1

There is a sign up near the Bass Pro shops construction at the Spectrum exit off 288 showing the "Waterlight District" with a water taxi in the picture.

Anyone know about this Woodlandsesque development?

You are right on the money about being Woodlandesque.... Only add the Presidential statues.

Presidential Park

Rendering Waterlight

Guest danax
Oh my god. They can't be serious with those presidential heads.

:lol: I wondered what they were going to do with those things.

I think it's great and pretty quirky for the suburbs. Actually, these days that might be the only place they wouldn't be protested in some form.

And the Bass Pro Shops construction is pretty darn exciting too.... :rolleyes:

:lol: I wondered what they were going to do with those things.

I think it's great and pretty quirky for the suburbs. Actually, these days that might be the only place they wouldn't be protested in some form.

And the Bass Pro Shops construction is pretty darn exciting too.... :rolleyes:

That Bass Pro Shop is HUGE!! I think I remember reading that it is the largest in the country (don't quote me). Also will be the largest HEB in the State on 518. Along with the largest presidential heads. We also have the largest tax rate..........go figure. On a serious note, I don't know how all these projects are going to fill their space. Ever wonder why the Shoppes at the Spectrum is flying under the radar (i.e. no press releases)? Ever notice how those new strip malls on FM2234 are doing....vacanct!! Maybe they are waiting for the street to be widened.

On a serious note, I don't know how all these projects are going to fill their space. Ever wonder why the Shoppes at the Spectrum is flying under the radar (i.e. no press releases)? Ever notice how those new strip malls on FM2234 are doing....vacanct!! Maybe they are waiting for the street to be widened.

That disturbs me too. I'm just afraid we are going to have a lot of vacant buildings which can lead to vandalism problems. Supposedly the "strip center" on the Southeast corner of FM 2234 and Reflection Bay has several tennants lined up. But haven't heard anything about the other vacant buildings. Looks like the bond to start section 1 of the Pearland Regional Sports Park was approved so I guess we might eventually start to have more people heading down FM 2234.

I think that's kicka$$!!!

presidentialpark.jpg

Brilliant! The combination of standard suburban-style strip center architecture with giant presidential heads is just so off the wall. I suppose the little boats will be giving tour information.

"Ladies and gentlemen, that's Starbucks on your right, if you would like a refreshing latte. And on your left, that's James Knox Polk, our 11th president!" :lol:

I've noticed also the 2234 centers sit vacant while anything off 518 fills as soon as the foundation hardens..they HAVE to do something with 2234...too much traffic now with little light at night....

I grew up across the tracks near the salt mill and my old area is finally beginning to develop with all the freeway access....my only gripe is when will a major, full-service grocery store ever come to our area? The HEB at BW8 and West Fuqua never materialized and the rest now are Foodaramas which are decent but they're not full-service...

Outside of Kroger on 518..what else is out there?

HEB just started construction on NW side of 518 and 288.

People currently shop a the Kroger's, Randall's, Wal Mart, or Super Target.

I've been in SCR for almost 2 years now. Never been to Kroger or Randall's. I have survived with Super Target, Wal-Mart and an ocasional visit to Sam's Club; HEB will be my place to go in the future.

Seems like they just opened Buccee's on 2234, anybody been there? I always stop at their stores on my trips to get beef jerky for the road.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody noticed that there's a new sign in front of the WaterLights site that says something like "Coming Soon - Restaurant Row on the Grand Canal"? I haven't been able to find any information but it got me wondering whether they may try to make the Presidential Park/Waterlights more restaurant oriented rather than retail oriented. To me, this would make sense 1) because will soon be so much retail in the area. 2) There's a shortage of good restaurant choices. What do you guys think?

Has anybody noticed that there's a new sign in front of the WaterLights site that says something like "Coming Soon - Restaurant Row on the Grand Canal"? I haven't been able to find any information but it got me wondering whether they may try to make the Presidential Park/Waterlights more restaurant oriented rather than retail oriented. To me, this would make sense 1) because will soon be so much retail in the area. 2) There's a shortage of good restaurant choices. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a glorified food court.

Saw the big sign and also activity in their trailer office this morning. I agree with you Blocked Writer, with the amount of Retail and Office Space going up closeby right now and the plans in the future for the Spectrum and SCR (UT Campus, New Hospitals, Hotels, etc), a more restaurant oriented attraction area (Kemah comes to mind) would make much more sense.

Cant wait to see the Presidents Heads rolling into Pearland!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a lot of faith on this place..... Richard Browne has plenty of experience helping developing the Woodlands Town Center and I am sure his development company will do a great job setting a stage for the presidential heads and surround them with first class restaurants.

However I agree some of the options they put in the survey make no sense, like Olive garden, Fuddrockers & Cabo (Already very close on 518), Fish City & Grill & BJ's (Coming to Pearland Town Center) , Lupe Tortilla & La Madelaine (Coming to Shadow Creek Town Center).

The presidential heads seem quirky, but it's a good effort. I'm in favor of people trying stuff, even if it seems strange.

Remember, there were protests against the arch in Saint Louis, the Bean in Chicago, the Eiffel Tower, and even the Statue of Liberty. I'm not saying the presidential head river tour is of the same calibur, but there will always be people who are critical just because they enjoy being negative.

I have a lot of faith on this place..... Richard Browne has plenty of experience helping developing the Woodlands Town Center and I am sure his development company will do a great job setting a stage for the presidential heads and surround them with first class restaurants.

Do bear in mind, Richard Browne was the land planner for The Woodlands Town Center, not the developer. Although I'd agree that he's a got a great planning firm, his record on development is sketchy thus far.

I'm not saying that it won't happen, just that development isn't where his core competencies lie.

• 4 weeks later...