TechShield is great, aside from the inability to use your cell inside unless you're by a window.

If you can deal with that annoyance, TechShield is DEFINITELY worth the money. It is used on all of the houses I've built and you'd be surprised how cool it keeps them in the summer time (comparatively speaking).

The right insulation costs a little more up front, but will be more than worth it over a period of just a few years and everything from there beyond is freebie.

7,800 sqft cooled in the summer for $400 bucks. Can't really beat that.

TechShield is great, aside from the inability to use your cell inside unless you're by a window.

If you can deal with that annoyance, TechShield is DEFINITELY worth the money. It is used on all of the houses I've built and you'd be surprised how cool it keeps them in the summer time (comparatively speaking).

The right insulation costs a little more up front, but will be more than worth it over a period of just a few years and everything from there beyond is freebie.

To be fair though, you have to look at the whole house when considering something like tech shield. Sometimes you'll never see that return on a 50 year old house with no insulation in the walls, R-10 or less in the attic, and single pane windows.

New construction is a totally different beast and we should be doing everything we can to make those as energy efficient as reasonable and economically possible.

flipper

To be fair though, you have to look at the whole house when considering something like tech shield. Sometimes you'll never see that return on a 50 year old house with no insulation in the walls, R-10 or less in the attic, and single pane windows.

New construction is a totally different beast and we should be doing everything we can to make those as energy efficient as reasonable and economically possible.

flipper

I figured it was a bit of a foregone conclusion. Anyone who is going to spend the money on TechShield isn't going to be dopey enough to not insulate the rest of the house.

Even so, TechShield would provide noticeable differences in cooling costs in the summer even with less than stellar wall insulation as it keeps the sun from directly heating the house through the roof. Crappy windows and insulation reduce it's effectiveness, but they don't completely negate it.

I figured it was a bit of a foregone conclusion. Anyone who is going to spend the money on TechShield isn't going to be dopey enough to not insulate the rest of the house.

Even so, TechShield would provide noticeable differences in cooling costs in the summer even with less than stellar wall insulation as it keeps the sun from directly heating the house through the roof. Crappy windows and insulation reduce it's effectiveness, but they don't completely negate it.

Thanks for the replies.

In my case it is a new build -- and the TechShield is an extra option. The rest of the house will have R-13 insulation, dual pane windows, 14-SEER air conditioner, etc. The attic is supposed to have R-30 insulation standard, but they are trying to up-sell the TechShield, saying it will "drastically" reduce electricity usage in the summer months because it keeps the attic cooler. The sales pitch sounded good, so I wanted to see if anyone had any real world experience with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had a problem on cell phone in my tech shield home? Now there are some homes that I built without tech shield that do not get a reception for some reason?

Thanks for the replies.

In my case it is a new build -- and the TechShield is an extra option. The rest of the house will have R-13 insulation, dual pane windows, 14-SEER air conditioner, etc. The attic is supposed to have R-30 insulation standard, but they are trying to up-sell the TechShield, saying it will "drastically" reduce electricity usage in the summer months because it keeps the attic cooler. The sales pitch sounded good, so I wanted to see if anyone had any real world experience with it.

You should also check into skin vent construction along with continuous ridge and soffit vents. The skin vent construction adds almost nothing to the construction amount. I would also suggest on-demand water heaters.

• 6 months later...

Before this past summer I had Tech Shield installed on my 3,000 square foot home in Missouri City along with a new roof. For the first time in his 12 years of owning the house he heard his A/C cycle off and stay off (for more than 15 min.) during the day!!!! He doesnt keep track of his utilitiy payment all that well but I can say it deffinately works to save money. The cost is the same or very close to traditional OSB decking, and since he had cedar shingles he had to redeck.

• 3 weeks later...

On pretty much every house I've built, if I'm inside, no reception. The moment I walk out the front door or get near a big window my phone starts beeping as it gets all the text messages & voicemail notifications. Kinda funny really.

On pretty much every house I've built, if I'm inside, no reception. The moment I walk out the front door or get near a big window my phone starts beeping as it gets all the text messages & voicemail notifications. Kinda funny really.

My Mother and Mother In Law have tech shield in thier homes. Absolutely no cell phone problems!!!

• 2 months later...

I have Techshield in my home and it does reduce the attic temps, so should make the Furnace and insulation more effective at a minimum. I can say that 90% of the homes

I work on in the past 2 years have Techshield so it seems to be almost a standard with the quality builders. Two other common trends are the Closed Cell Foam being used

to spray the rafters to basically make the attic a cooled space.

Home Building Factors that affect RF Signals:

This includes Cell Phones, XM/Sirrus, and other high frequency signals, which does not include TV or FM as they are low frequency.

1. Techshield - In an area with moderate signal strength, 2-3 Bars Outside, Techshield will block 70% of the signal if the location is suburban or rural where the Cell Tower height is 200' - 300'. This is becasue Cellular is line of sight and the roof is usually the entry point given the distance between towers s approx 5 miles.

2. Stucco - The Wire Lath used to hold the stucco is a very effective barrier, I do not have percentages on this one but somewhere in the 50%-70% range if the Lath

is grounded it increased the number.

3. High E Windows with Reflective coating- These Windows are typically double pane with a reflective coating which is metallic that also blocks the signal. About 30% blocked.

4. Foil covered foamboard - High about 70% as the foil is several mm thick.

Hopefully this helps everyone understand the why and the cause and effect of highly energy efficient homes, which is very good as we all need to save on energy. Five-Bars Wireless does primarily commercial but also homes in Memorial/River Oaks/West U as the cost of the system to resolve the Cellular Signal Problem is expensive.

Questions drop me a PM.

Doak

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have signed contract to build a new home in Katy, my builder offering the 'Techshield roofing' upgrade for additional $1400.

My home is going to be 2 stored 3050 sq ft (4 bedroom, 2 and half bath)

I was wonder is this the reasonal price or if I can get cheaper if I use outside roofing company?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have signed contract to build a new home in Katy, my builder offering the 'Techshield roofing' upgrade for additional $1400.

My home is going to be 2 stored 3050 sq ft (4 bedroom, 2 and half bath)

I was wonder is this the reasonal price or if I can get cheaper if I use outside roofing company?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

My last two homes have had Techshield and I don't know why any home in Houston would be built without it. My electric bill is lower than my neighbor's regular roof decked home. You will make back the $1400 and i is better for resale. It just irritates me that all builders do not just put it in the home instead of offering it as an upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
I have Techshield in my home and it does reduce the attic temps, so should make the Furnace and insulation more effective at a minimum. I can say that 90% of the homes

I work on in the past 2 years have Techshield so it seems to be almost a standard with the quality builders. Two other common trends are the Closed Cell Foam being used

to spray the rafters to basically make the attic a cooled space.

Home Building Factors that affect RF Signals:

This includes Cell Phones, XM/Sirrus, and other high frequency signals, which does not include TV or FM as they are low frequency.

1. Techshield - In an area with moderate signal strength, 2-3 Bars Outside, Techshield will block 70% of the signal if the location is suburban or rural where the Cell Tower height is 200' - 300'. This is becasue Cellular is line of sight and the roof is usually the entry point given the distance between towers s approx 5 miles.

2. Stucco - The Wire Lath used to hold the stucco is a very effective barrier, I do not have percentages on this one but somewhere in the 50%-70% range if the Lath

is grounded it increased the number.

3. High E Windows with Reflective coating- These Windows are typically double pane with a reflective coating which is metallic that also blocks the signal. About 30% blocked.

4. Foil covered foamboard - High about 70% as the foil is several mm thick.

Hopefully this helps everyone understand the why and the cause and effect of highly energy efficient homes, which is very good as we all need to save on energy. Five-Bars Wireless does primarily commercial but also homes in Memorial/River Oaks/West U as the cost of the system to resolve the Cellular Signal Problem is expensive.

Questions drop me a PM.

Doak

We are in a 4 year old David Weekley home that we opted to upgrade to TechShield as the roof decking. As pointed out by many on these posts, cell phone signals are almost impossible to receive unless you stand near a window. We also have trouble receiving FM radio signals; can only get a few stations in the Houston Metroplex. Is there some solution to these problems -- perhaps some signal relay system to put outside that would strengthen the signal in the attic area? Would appreciate any help available.

JimNick

We are in a 4 year old David Weekley home that we opted to upgrade to TechShield as the roof decking. As pointed out by many on these posts, cell phone signals are almost impossible to receive unless you stand near a window. We also have trouble receiving FM radio signals; can only get a few stations in the Houston Metroplex. Is there some solution to these problems -- perhaps some signal relay system to put outside that would strengthen the signal in the attic area? Would appreciate any help available.

JimNick

Cell phone repeater?

http://www.repeaterstore.com/

Mount an FM antenna outside of your house, for the FM.

• 6 years later...

we have owned homes with and without tech shield and can honestly say that i did not sweat in the home that had the tech shield.  it is amazing stuff and is less expensive to have roofing contractor install than having the radiant barrier put in afterwards.  our home was roofed but did not need decking replaced so we had to pay more to have radiant barrier put in after the fact.  it works great and does as advertised.

Archived