Fitzgerald's At 2706 White Oak Dr.

Northwood

• 1 month later...

hiy'all.. I've been partying at Fitzgerald's since '76 or '77 or so. And it's changed with the times.. somewhat.

Anyhoo.. am interested in hearing about Fitz before it was bought by Sara Fitzgerald's and was a Polish dance hall or whatever it was?

Anyhoo.. am interested in hearing about Fitz before it was bought by Sara Fitzgerald's and was a Polish dance hall or whatever it was?

You may have already seen my Fitz's notes, terrbo, but I'll add them below just in case. Wish I knew the place in the early days, but I didn't. Hope others have stories.

1918-74 - The building at 2706 White Oak was built by the Polish Lodges in 1918 (also per HCAD), to serve as a general meeting house and dance hall for Houston's Polish community. The facility was known as the "Polish Home" (or "Dom Polski"). It is reported here that: "The two-story structure had the meeting rooms, social facilities, and kitchen on the first floor, with the dance hall upstairs. There was no air conditioning, but the second floor had lots of windows and a good wood floor. The second floor hall still opens to the outside porches, where sitters and standers can still take a break from the dancing inside. Wanda Bench, a Chappell Hill Pole/Czech and long-time supporter of the Polish Home, recalls large "war years" Christmas parties in the original hall, cooking the turkeys and trimmings on the first floor and carrying everything upstairs to the packed hall. Like many other Texas Poles, the young (and single) Wanda sought out the Home as a place of familiarity and comfort, attending the dances, bingo, and other events with cousins and friends."

1948 - Houston City Directory lists "Dompolski Hall" at 2706 White Oak (with notation "night club")

1958 - Houston City Directory lists "Polish Home Inc." at 2706 White Oak (with notation "club")

1968 - Houston City Directory lists "Polish Home Inc." at 2706 White Oak (with notation "club")

1974 - The Polish Home moves to Cooper Road, where it still exists today

1975 - Houston City Directory lists 2706 White Oak as "vacant"

1977 - Houston City Directory lists 2706 White Oak as "vacant"

1977 - Oldest license in TABC's online records for "Fitzgerald's" at 2706 White Oak (which show a continuous license for same through present)

It was across the street from a honky-tonk called "Sixth and Studewood Dine and Dance." All the local "western" bands played there plus quite a few touring acts like Faron Young, et al.

A friend of mine vividly recalls a sign posted on the wall of the Polish Hall in the sixties: "Women in slacks not allowed on the dance floor." :lol: Classic.

• The title was changed to Fitzgerald's At 2706 White Oak Dr.

Archived