Sign in to follow this  
BenH

A Brief Guide to the Work Of Wylie W. Vale.

BenH    21

Recent finds:

Dr. Carlos Slaughter house - 3 Cleveland Court, Sugarland,TX. Have drawings for this one. 

CarlosSlaughterHouse_zps901f23dc.jpg

S.C. Adams House - 11400 Memorial Drive. Built 1952. Guessing the roof and paint aren't original. 

AdamsHouse11400Memorial_zps4ca4b25b.jpg

312 W Friar Tuck - Houston,TX. Not sure of the original client. Very well maintained and elegant house. 

IMG_1660_zps1b4f844b.jpg

There are probably going to be a lot more discoveries in the coming weeks. I'm also digitizing Wylie's address list to make it easier to search. Nine pages left...

• Like 1

BenH    21

Time for some editing. The following are probably NOT Wylie's designs. I didn't have much to go on when identifying them. 

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0098-1.jpg

This was the closest thing I could find to a Vale design in Sandalwood at the time, but the actual house is at the southeast corner of Knipp Rd and Sandalwood. It's a nice, but heavily remodeled ranch house. 

DSC_0037copy.jpg

I don't think this house is one of Wylie's, but it is kind of cool. 

DSC_0042copy.jpg

Eagle Lake High School would now be part of the Rice Consolidated School District and they have no high school in Eagle Lake. I would probably guess that the building has been repurposed to another school type if it still exists. Their present high school is in Altair.

Not a very dynamic area anymore as they are just waiting to be absorbed into the Houston Metro Blob that's eating it's way across the west. Rice production is way down since many of the established farming families aged to indifference after 40 years of the youth's exodus to the big city. Besides in Alvin, Katy, and Sugar Land they long ago decided it was easier to plant suburban sprawl over the most fertile farm lands in the state than actually farm. Other than some oil & gas production the major industry has been in the many gravel pits. For three generations my family was part of the Parker Brothers group that developed that resource. The overwhelming majority of aggregate that went into the concrete that built Houston/Galveston and southeast Texas since the 1930s came from that area. And there are still massive deposits there to continue with.

BenH    21

Nice find. I recognize the name Busby from the address list. Cool house. 

etheriemma    3

This home by Wylie Vale, located at 5650 Meadow Lake Ln. in Houston, is scheduled to be demolished very soon.  The home was built in 1953 and was  2,347 Sq Ft, with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.

5650-meadow-lake.jpg

Holtnow    0

Regrettably, Mr. Vales work at 11400 Memorial was razed this past Monday (9/22/2014).  Late last year, I attempted to buy this home with the intent to restore and sympathetically update it for use as my family home.  At the last minute, we lost out to a builder.  I don’t begrudge the sellers, owners of 47 years, as they saw the home as unsalvageable and were just trying to maximize their return.  This is a case of one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

post-4031-0-42320800-1411676545_thumb.jp

BenH    21

To be honest, I'm not sure that was one of Wylie's houses. The listing agent said that it was done by Otto Woestmeyer, but it REALLY looked like one of Wylie's underneath the metal roof and blackish siding. Maybe Otto designed additions or something to that effect. 

Let us know how your search goes. 

BenH    21

Methodist Church Parsonage - Rusk, TX. 1947-48. Very early project by Wylie:

WylieValeParsonageRusk_zps58ace58a.jpg

Has since been demolished, but the grammar school building still stands. Edwin Guinn was RobertK's grandfather, I believe. 

LORAC    0

Ben - I saw a photo of my house on your list of homes designed by Wylie W. Vale. How do you know that Wylie Vale was the architect?  My home is in River Oaks on Inverness and was built in 1948-49 by J. Leon Osborn. I have the architectural drawings. But there is no logo or signature on them. Just curious because I have an application pending to list the home in the National Register.

Jim Boyle    0

Hello

I found HAIF and this thread from a Google search earlier in the week. By accident when cleaning a closet in our home we found a blueprint of our home and noted that the architect was Wylie W. Vale. We purchased from the estate of the original owner and have thoroughly enjoyed living in this mid century modern.  Some of the folks listed here may not be around any longer and I wasn't able to load any of the pictures. I'm interested in any mention of magazine articles since the family who sold it mentioned the house had been in an article in one of the magazines of the time. Home was built in 1958. Thanks!