El Paso

moni

:rolleyes: I live nearer to El Paso than Houston, although Houston was my home for over 20 years, I raised my children there and do go back to visit my son whenever possible. I love that town! However, since I do most of my heavy shopping in El Paso, I noticed an article regarding the building of an Inner-Loop freeway. BTW, I remember when the 610 in Houston was practically new and had very little traffic! Ages ago, I know.

The new $350 million Inner Loop freeway gets approved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is great news for El Paso and Ft. Bliss. With 23,000+ soldiers and their families coming to the area in the next 5 years we will really need this.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/military/ci_5104127#

When you consider the population of El Paso, you nearly have to include Juarez because many people from El Paso cross the bridge to work daily, NAFTA you know.

Cool. But $42 million per mile sounds like a lot. Does anyone know how this price compares to freways in Houston?

Still, it's good to see some news out of the other side of the state. I've always had a fascination with El Paso, even though I've only been there once.

Keep us updated!

• 2 weeks later...
Cool. But $42 million per mile sounds like a lot. Does anyone know how this price compares to freways in Houston?

Still, it's good to see some news out of the other side of the state. I've always had a fascination with El Paso, even though I've only been there once.

Keep us updated!

I like El Paso too. I lived there in 1989-90 while on a construction project at one of the hospitals. Most of the military people live on the east side of the Franklin Mountains, the local mover and shaker types live on the more affluent west side. Combined with Juarez it's as big as Dallas or San Antonio.

• 5 years later...

Mr.luciaphile was compiling a GIS data set of publicly-owned land in Texas that is not conservation land for his own nefarious purposes when he came across some failed -- nonexistent -- development in the desert an hour or so from El Paso. Lots held by a number of academic institutions:

Oglethorpe University

Wittenberg Univ.

Seattle Univ.

Lubbock Christian

Oklahoma Baptist

UT

Univ. of Oregon

Concordia Univ.

Univ. of Shalom

Johnson Bible College

Strake Jesuit

Boise Bible College

Goshen College

Southwestern Adventist College

Vassar!

Me: "Why?"

Him: "Oh, probably donated by people to their alma maters when they figured out they'd been had, to institutions that have no filter for judging gifts of land."

But all those Bible schools -- surely the speculator must have targeted them. It's not like they were going to drive out there, I guess. UT might have known better.

There is an enormous section east of El Paso laid out in a grid pattern. You can see it from the air when landing at the El Paso airport. Horizon City was the name of it and it stretches for miles into the horizon :). I'm guessing that is where all this school land is located. Curious as to why this speculative type of development occured in such a god forbidden part of the state.

I think Horizon City is a real place. I think I may have noticed it because I was permitted to drive for an hour last time we left El Paso. The area referenced was maybe in the vicinity of Hueco Tanks SHP.

I realize academic endowments like to invest in land -- I think when the paper companies pulled out of East Texas, Harvard became a huge landowner, or timber-rights owner, there for awhile -- but these lots in the desert were just on the order of five to twenty-acre parcels maybe.

El Paso: I'm not that familiar with it, but I like it -- the downtown seems very appealingly-scaled (HAiF-ers wouldn't like, I suppose) and I love that the architect of UTEP looked to the "land of the thunder dragon" for inspiration. It's too bad the Franklin Mountains aren't a little higher so that they could act as cloud-catchers (or cloud-creators, I don't know which, my ignorance is pleasingly total, though I find that doesn't prevent me from talking like a weatherman, "afternoon heating may spark a thunderstorm or two," or, "if only this high pressure would move off," etc.). It was an effect I saw that same day with every succeeding mountain range in AZ, each having its own dark blue weather system above, very dramatic. Curious cases of ownership compel me to mention AZ's Mt.Graham in the Coronado NF, which has a fairly vertigo-inducing guardrail-free drive to the top (HAIF-ers would like, I suppose) -- that seemed a bit harrowing in the rain. It is home to a federally-listed endangered species which is easy to catch sight of, because it's a squirrel. At the top are some big telescopes, jointly owned, if memory is correct, by the University of Arizona and .. the Vatican! I figure they are either looking for God or trying to make up for what they did to Galileo.

All land is worthless until you find someone who values it. Look at the upper and lower tiers of Pennsylvania and New York. Land was super cheap there for a hundred years. Then someone invented fracking, and all the energy companies are rushing in.

The universities can afford to just sit on the land (so to speak) because they don't operate in human timelines. They think in generations or longer. Maybe 100 years from now someone will figure out how to get food from a particular rock that only exists in those plots of land; who knows? Institutions can think in those terms.

Maybe 100 years from now someone will figure out how to get food from a particular rock that only exists in those plots of land; who knows? Institutions can think in those terms.

Thank you for that insightful comment, editor. Maybe we should begin irrigating the desert with Gatorade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy) to coax forth this non-carbon-based bounty.

The universities can afford to just sit on the land (so to speak) because they don't operate in human timelines. They think in generations or longer. Maybe 100 years from now someone will figure out how to get food from a particular rock that only exists in those plots of land; who knows? Institutions can think in those terms.

I was all set to blame their athletics departments, but if they're thinking in these terms then that would most assuredly would explain their budget problems and ever-increasing tuition.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

ASARCO stack is gone, City Hall is gone, the El Paso Chihuahuas new stadium is midway through construction and an 11-12 story apartment tower has been proposed for a site nearby. Fountains at Farah, a 600,000 sq. ft. shopping complex has opened and Montecillo is moving deeper into its phased development with a town center shopping development on tap. More later...

There really is a fair amount going on over there, it seems as of late. I'm quite interested in seeing how the improvements in the core pan out as well as how the master plan for the Medical Center of the Americas takes shape. 

Have been keeping an eye on the website below - they have pretty frequent updates on activity around town.

http://www.elpasodevnews.com/

El Paso is experiencing its biggest development boom in 40 years. Part of it is the big expansion at Ft. Bliss, another element is the steady growth of the border logistics hub. When the Verde Group sold out to Brookfield properties for $888 million, the area got hooked up to a $150 billion development powerhouse with a direct line to Wall Street. The formation of a major regional bank is also underway which will finally match local needs with a lender that actually cares about El Paso. Finally, El Paso has a Fortune 500 benefactor in Western Refining and billionaire Paul Foster who was behind the new ballpark. Throw in the New Medical Center of the Americas and Texas Tech Medical Center and the stars are aligning for El Paso.

Some highlights:

New William Beaumont Army Medical Center: $1 billion

Montecillo new urban development: $700 million

TXDOT projects $1-2 billion

Tenet Healthcare hospital projects: $120 million

New ballpark: $50+ million

MCA-Texas Tech Medical center: $500+ million

Aldea SmartCode development: $100+ million

Union Pacific intermodal hub at nearby Santa Teresa NM: $400 million (this eliminates a major east west bottleneck for the railroad)

15 story downtown hotel

11-12 story downtown apartment building

And a variety of retail and residential projects including the $70 million Fountains at Farah.

ASARCO stack is gone, City Hall is gone, the El Paso Chihuahuas new stadium is midway through construction and an 11-12 story apartment tower has been proposed for a site nearby. Fountains at Farah, a 600,000 sq. ft. shopping complex has opened and Montecillo is moving deeper into its phased development with a town center shopping development on tap. More later...

Wait a minute...someone named a sports team after a yappy little dog?

Archived