Uptown Residential Cube Tower

WesternGulf

i think it would be an "odd man out" in midtown and the museum district too. i still think it would fit well in greenway.

Greenway just might be a logical place for it, but I could see it (even though I am not wild about the design) in the Galleria area.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think it would be an "odd man out" in midtown and the museum district too. i still think it would fit well in greenway.

I know I like the convenience of the proposed location, but it would stick out there for sure. Then again, that didn't stop the developers of The Royalton or The Huntingdon.

This may seem like an odd location, but I think that it would be neat on Sterrett Street or Richey Street in northernmost downtown. I've always liked this tiny little area, it's like Houston's own microscopic SoHo or Meatpacking District. It would be nice with the Hardy Railyard Project nearby as well as downtown conveniences.

i think the galleria or allen parkway/memorial drive would be a more appropriate place for this building. near herman park or along almeda near mosaic would be better as well. i do not like the proposed location.

Some developers are flippers. That's great as far as it goes. Some want lasting beauty, economy and utility-which ultimatly reaps greater rewards. Some love One Houston Center for it's bulk and mass. It's long term return has been less than Two Houston because more companies prefer the quality and utility of Two with it's elegant entrance, quality use of materials in it's public spaces and span as opposed to One's street level some-times revolving doors. That's a great side-by-side comparison. Some are driven to excellence. They know the long term benefits. Others settle for the mundane and reap the rewards of their low expectations. It's really no different than residential real estate: If you offer a quality property you get quality buyers/renters. If you offer up crap then you get crap and who wants to visit crap?

Weak analogy. A trophy office skyscraper in a Central Business District is not in any way and will never be comparable to a for-sale residential condominium building outside of any business district. And your conclusion is frequently false; most condo buyers are not at all familiar with construction methods, have no reliable way of forecasting energy use, and are not well-versed in the finer points of architecture. Moreover, the relatively small scale of a condo purchase typically does not warrant exhaustive investigation of these matters, whereas a large office tenant taking full floors at a time of a building probably will (or at least should) have professionals advising them every step of the way.

• 7 months later...
Am i the only one who thinks that rendering looks like some 1st year student's work?

not against modernism, but this looks like a heavy handed attempt for commercial recognition, err branding..

I thought the idea was quite cool looking. Certainly a step up from the Mercer.

• 3 weeks later...

Well its still shown as a "project" on Allen Bianchi's site:

http://www.allenbianchi.com/projects_des.p...ct_auto_id=4904

But then I'm sure you could still find the Chariots of Fire Tower listed somewhere as a "project". I love the design and think balconies would be a horrible idea. I've lived in two high-rise apartments on the 18th and 28th floors and the balconies were tiny and way too windy to do anything on. You couldn't have a grill (city ordinance) and two chairs barely fit out there. When I'm paying a premium to own a high-rise condo in a market where you can get a 5000sf house for 250k, I want every square inch of it to be year round livable space.

I think the location is a good decision. Every room in every condo above the 3rd floor would have amazing, unobstructed views, and isn't that what most high-rise dwellers buy for? Putting it in the galleria area or downtown or the med center would lessen the availability of of those views and risk having an office tower or faux lofts built right next to it.

Go ahead and kill this project, at least for the time being. Or we may have to move the thread to, "Going on in the rest of the world."

Got an email from the architect saying it will not be built on Westheimer. He thinks the land is for sale again. But he did say it might be built on another location or another city.

BTW, is it okay to relay this kind of information when it's a personal inquiry? Are they responding in good faith that we won't say, post it on a public forum? Is it okay w/ Nancy, too?

You must always be careful about relaying information that is given in (you must always assume) confidence.

That's why I usually wait for several days or weeks for it to be "general knowledge" to people in a company, because it can't be traced to any one particular person.

its annoying, but you won't get anyone fired for leaking confidential information.

You must always be careful about relaying information that is given in (you must always assume) confidence.

That's why I usually wait for several days or weeks for it to be "general knowledge" to people in a company, because it can't be traced to any one particular person.

its annoying, but you won't get anyone fired for leaking confidential information.

In this case, I emailed the @info.com address they had listed. I'm assuming they know it can basically become public knowledge once they release that information to someone they don't know or know anything about. And I'm sure they wouldn't release to me, a stranger, any confidential info, and neither would Nancy.

Thanks for the advice Ricco.

• The title was changed to Uptown Residential Cube Tower

Archived