best African American barbershops in Houston?

Hi, I just came from a barbershop that I found through the Yellow Pages. They did a really great job EXCEPT..they're so far away in the northwest part of Houston and I live near TSU (where I'm attending as well).

I'm basically looking for really good barbershop that's close to TSU, University of Houston or near the Galleria area, because I am working at the mall.

Thanks!

My gramps goes to a place located on the adjacent street to Fiesta. The location of the Fiesta store is the corner of San Jacinto and Wheeler. I dont remember the name of the side street, but the shop is right even with the store on the adjacent street, opposite side. Its cheap and he loves it. I think he only pays $3 or something like that.

Hi, I just came from a barbershop that I found through the Yellow Pages. They did a really great job EXCEPT..they're so far away in the northwest part of Houston and I live near TSU (where I'm attending as well).

I'm basically looking for really good barbershop that's close to TSU, University of Houston or near the Galleria area, because I am working at the mall.

Thanks!

TSU, there should be tons of them in the 3rd Wards, you are not looking hard enough, I used to drive be a few off of Holcolm or Old Spanish Trail I think.

There's a place called Maxie's on Griggs at MLK that's pretty good from what I hear. There's also a place at North MacGregor and Scott whose name I can never remember but they're almost always packed.

But like someone posted earlier, there are a boatload of 'em in Third Ward. Word of mouth or just strolling around the area will give you some more leads.

Thanks!

There's a great one at Almeda (@ Binz). I've had my hair cut there a few times before.

What about "Midnights"? That place has always intrigued me.

It's at Main under 59 more or less across from the Comptempory Crafts museum and kinda next to Wendey's.

I used to drive by there at 2:00 in the morning and they were still open. Hense the name "Midnights"?

Thanks!

Aren't you really looking for a good barber as opposed to a good barber shop?

btw, what makes a good barber shop? . . .the number of shoe shine guys on hand at any given moment, the number of barbers who actually cut hair, the number of barbers who tell jokes, whether or not I can get a hot link sandwich from the bar-b-que man while I wait, how many flat-screen televisions they have in the place? I mean, come on, how would one judge such a thing as the "best African American barbershop?"

Aren't you really looking for a good barber as opposed to a good barber shop?

btw, what makes a good barber shop? . . .the number of shoe shine guys on hand at any given moment, the number of barbers who actually cut hair, the number of barbers who tell jokes, whether or not I can get a hot link sandwich from the bar-b-que man while I wait, how many flat-screen televisions they have in the place? I mean, come on, how would one judge such a thing as the "best African American barbershop?"

I think he just meant a good barber or barbers, not "barber shop" per se. However, I don't believe all barbershops are created equal. There are unprofessional barbershops that allow all sorts of conversation while kids are there. Some play all sorts of music with vulgar language. And my all time favorite is the barber that handles his personal business while cutting your hair. He's on the phone, eating, in the parking lot, having discussions with other clients...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Archived