The Four Palms

Anybody here have the nerve to admit they ever went there? The Four Palms was a neighborhood bar on Telephone Road just south of Holmes Rd, which is now the South Loop 610. It was locally famous (infamous?) in the 50s, 60s and 70s for being what was then called a "pressure cooker club".

It was like a singles bar, except everybody was married to somebody else and nobody cared. Lonely and bored housewives went there during the day whilst their husbands were at work, and the joke was that they kept dinner warm at home in a pressure cooker, hence the club's nickname.

The ladies were there to meet their boyfriends, or just have a good time with anybody who showed up. Most of the time it was just for drinks and dancing, but the lighting was kept low enough for some making out, for those so inclined.

It was common to see a man come in the front door, hear a woman's voice say "oh my god it's my husband" and then see her slipping quickly out the back door. Lord only knows how many divorces, and new marriages, can be traced to that place.

Ah yes. Those were the days. Yes, I went there a few times, during my divorced period in the early and mid 70s. Met some great ladies and had some great afternoons with some of them. I've always wondered whatever became of them. I also wonder how many of today's 30 and 40 somethings ate those pressure cooked dinners, prepared by moms who spent their afternoons at The Four Palms.

it's interesting that present-day 4660 telephone rd. is the Las Palmas club...

from this site:

As her family's evening meal was slowing simmering in the Pressure Cooker at home, Momma would head over to the bar and look for action so she could do a little sizzling of her own.

The regulars would stroll in shortly after the band started up at 11 am in the morning (it was jukebox from 10 am till 11 am). The hustle would begin. If a pair hit it off, they would give their business to a No-tell Motel, many of which lined Telephone Road. These institutions conveniently offered hourly rates.

The rule of thumb was "Score by Four". If you couldn't get some by 4 pm, then hang it up. That's when the band quit and the gals headed home to work on the evening meal for hubby. .

:o:D

I had an Aunt (God rest her soul) who met her second husband at the Four Palms. He was 25 years younger than she was. Guess they had good lighting in that place!!!

That was on my side of town growing up, and my mom was a housewife at that time. My first instinct was to call my parents to ask them if they remember the place, but then I realized what a stupid move that would be. :unsure:

Isn't that the place where when you first walked in there was a small entryway with a cashier behind glass who would take your cover fee then hit a switch that would unlock the door? Then, when you opened the door, a loud buzzer would go off and all eyes would focus on who walked in. I was there once with a student of mine (I taught ballroom dance). The was no ballroom dancing, but plenty of BARroom dancing. Mostly just "clutch and sway."

Anybody here have the nerve to admit they ever went there? The Four Palms was a neighborhood bar on Telephone Road just south of Holmes Rd, which is now the South Loop 610. It was locally famous (infamous?) in the 50s, 60s and 70s for being what was then called a "pressure cooker club".

It was like a singles bar, except everybody was married to somebody else and nobody cared. Lonely and bored housewives went there during the day whilst their husbands were at work, and the joke was that they kept dinner warm at home in a pressure cooker, hence the club's nickname.

The ladies were there to meet their boyfriends, or just have a good time with anybody who showed up. Most of the time it was just for drinks and dancing, but the lighting was kept low enough for some making out, for those so inclined.

It was common to see a man come in the front door, hear a woman's voice say "oh my god it's my husband" and then see her slipping quickly out the back door. Lord only knows how many divorces, and new marriages, can be traced to that place.

Ah yes. Those were the days. Yes, I went there a few times, during my divorced period in the early and mid 70s. Met some great ladies and had some great afternoons with some of them. I've always wondered whatever became of them. I also wonder how many of today's 30 and 40 somethings ate those pressure cooked dinners, prepared by moms who spent their afternoons at The Four Palms.

Sounds like a "Desperate Housewives" hangout for it's time.

Now-a-day's they would be shooting each other... no questions asked!

Sounds like a "Desperate Housewives" hangout for it's time.

That is indeed what it was. I love the way TV thinks it found something new with the idea of bored, lonely and horny housewives. Lonely, bored and horny men have known about those ladies since time began.

The link provided by sevfiv back up there in the second posting in this thread tells everything you ever wanted to know about the Four Palms.

you ever wanted to know about the Four Palms.

Be sure to see Gulfgate Snapshot 1970 & Carousel Motel and "past structures of near East End" You might very well see other locals (like moi) confessing all! Knew one day it would come back & bite! Yikes! :ph34r:

I'm not sure if they qualify as "pressure cookers", but there were a number of "sure thing" clubs around back then, including Cedar Lounge, Vagabond Club and Yesterday Once More.

I never made it to Four Palms, though.

Yesterday Once More what! Has to be the one over by Edgebrook or Hobby Aiport exit I think? It was in full swing around 1985. It was the a-stereotypical joint to hang out for a South Houstoner or Pasadenan. I was too young to go and I probably would have got beat up any way. I did hear it was quite the hoot and holler. Think its an empty shell now.

Was the Vagabond Club at the Vagabond Motel on 45?
That's the one, Subdude. As aggressive as some of the ladies were at the club, I often wondered if some of them didn't have a long-term rental on a room there.

Vertigo, I lived and worked near Hobby Airport in the late 70s, and that's when I went to Yesterday. I think there were a number of "swingers" who hung out there, but I wasn't interested in that scene. And that was back in my drunking days, and my memories are a bit fuzzy on the details of the place.

And that was back in my drunking days, and my memories are a bit fuzzy on the details of the place.

if you'd like a refresher, head to the happy go lucky on telephone@broad. we went last summer and it is surprising places like that with madames, etc still exist.

if you'd like a refresher, head to the happy go lucky on telephone@broad. we went last summer and surprising places like that with madames, etc still exist.

I would have worn dark raybans & a trenchcoat as I entered. We die laughing everytime we pass by as the sign in front states "Houston's Finest Drink's" and "Come join the Party" great crowd".

So, if your a tourist from another state or country as soon as you arrive at the airport you would tell your host or tour bus to stop there for Houston's Finest! I wonder if the madame wears a tight "Suzie Wong" outfit and a long cigarette holder? ala Lair of the Worm. :P

largeImage_837_.jpg

I would have worn dark raybans & a trenchcoat as I entered. We die laughing everytime we pass by as the sign in front states "Houston's Finest Drink's" and "Come join the Party" great crowd".

So, if your a tourist from another state or country as soon as you arrive at the airport you would tell your host or tour bus to stop there for Houston's Finest! I wonder if the madame wears a tight "Suzie Wong" outfit and a long cigarette holder? ala Lair of the Worm. :P

largeImage_837_.jpg

i always wondered why there were always fairly nice cars outside. well when we went in, i remember saying "why all the sofas?" the asian madame them came in and asked what we were looking for. she was probably in her 50's with obviously dyed hair but no tight outfit. just about that time a man was coming out of the back putting on his coat. they evidently have an assortment of women but i only saw the madame and another lady.

if you'd like a refresher, head to the happy go lucky on telephone@broad. we went last summer and it is surprising places like that with madames, etc still exist.
Uh, thanks, but no thanks. I don't drink anymore, and I don't go to bars to meet women. I am older, and much more conservative, now. I prefer meeting women in more traditional ways - I go to online chatrooms.

My biggest fear is making a date with one of these women, and when I go to meet them, Chris Hanson answers the door.

i don't watch nbc so had to look that one up but have seen a few of his segments. they got the sportcaster from ch 39 that way, but it was a local sting.

I think "Dateline" got the idea from KPRC. KPRC did it about a year before "Dateline" did it. Stephen Dean from KPRC then went on national TV via MSNBC talking about it. Soon after NBC had it on "Dateline".

These Four Palms stories are very interesting. I'd never heard of it.

Was the Yesterday Once More club named after the Carpenters' song of the same name? Considering it was probably around the same time.

Was the Yesterday Once More club named after the Carpenters' song of the same name? Considering it was probably around the same time.

Actually was not at the same time. The Carpentar's song came out around 1975 but this club had opened later in the 80's.

The lyrics Karen Carpentar sings is about remembering old songs & aquaintances. So I imagine it was fitting for this club to be named so. I was like the dance club called The Hop because they specialize in good old music. Talk about a mixed crowd, wow that's The Hop, too bad its so faaaarr awaaaay.

If the club Yesterday Once More your talking about was the one on Richey right around where Winkler and Monroe merged and changed into Richey then that club was opened in the 70's. I worked at the Plank Company from 1977 till 1981 while I was attending U of H and the Plank Company was located right next to the old Sage Department store on the Gulf Freeway. While making deliveries for work and coming and going in the area I remember seeing the club from my first day of work. We had a Service Manager that hung out there all the time and after 5:00 if anyone needed to talk to him thats where he was so I was dispatched to go to the club and get him on the phone more than once back then.

If the club Yesterday Once More your talking about was the one on Richey right around where Winkler and Monroe merged and changed into Richey then that club was opened in the 70's. I worked at the Plank Company from 1977 till 1981 while I was attending U of H and the Plank Company was located right next to the old Sage Department store on the Gulf Freeway. While making deliveries for work and coming and going in the area I remember seeing the club from my first day of work. We had a Service Manager that hung out there all the time and after 5:00 if anyone needed to talk to him thats where he was so I was dispatched to go to the club and get him on the phone more than once back then.

Wasn't it called Happy Days at one time too. I don't remember if it was before or after it was Yesterdays.

joe

• 9 years later...

Wow I totally forgot about those places on Telephone. I was just a kid in the 70s. I remember passing by those adult places along that stretch before and just passed 610, on the way to see family, that was our usual route. I do remember my mom circling the buildings there at Telephone & Lancaster one night, looking for my dads car. She found it. My dad gave her plenty of reasons not to trust him (they divorced in 86). I had forgotten about all of that. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2007 at 9:03 AM, Heights2Bastrop said:

In reply to "Was the Vagabond Club at the Vagabond Motel on 45?"
That's the one, Subdude. As aggressive as some of the ladies were at the club, I often wondered if some of them didn't have a long-term rental on a room there.

Vertigo, I lived and worked near Hobby Airport in the late 70s, and that's when I went to Yesterday. I think there were a number of "swingers" who hung out there, but I wasn't interested in that scene. And that was back in my drunking days, and my memories are a bit fuzzy on the details of the place.

Just to make sure, I have a record of a Vagabond Motor Hotel at 4815 N Frwy Houston, TX 77022-2517 circa 1975. 
Are these the same "Vagabond Motel on 45"?

The Vagabond Club had regular performances by local musical talent. I never went there but understand in its decline that it was a place for drugs and illicit activity. A friend who is retired HPD clued me in who used to hang out there. 

Archived