Historic Houston Cafeterias

northbeaumont

We had all 3 in Baytown at one time in the 80's. Growing up I always liked Wyatt's the best. It just felt different. There was also an Aroma's cafeteria that opened up, that was actually better than all three combined, and then it burned down about 3 years after it opened. INSURANCE FRAUD ! It never reopened, apparently some mob ties with that joint, but it was really good.

Here's the history of Luby's from the website: http://www.lubys.com/06aboutusHistory.asp

Looks like they have about 33 locations in the Houston area.

The first cafeterias in Houston from this company were called Romano's. Here's a clipping (partial) from a 1961 Chronicle Dining Guide that may explain why:

"...the entire family en .... ing Luby's, loated at .... Gray and S. Shepherd...a complete line of en .... nd fresh, tasty vegeta ... the menu everyday .... are another speciality at .... where the diner has .... han 20 varieties from .... he can make his choice. ...er dinner treats try the .... is the desserts prepared fresh .... or Luby's cafeteria cus .... The diner has a choice ... cakes and a number ... er dinner treats here. ...afeteria is open ... h Saturday from 11am ... :30pm and from 4:30 ... ntil 8:30 pm for the din .... de. Sunday the cafete .... ains continuous serv ... m 11am until 8pm."

I don't remember a Luby's on W. Gray @ Shepherd; that is the only location given for a Luby's in the guide. Was there a locally based Luby's before the group from San Antonio came in?

There was a Wyatt's in Sharpstown Mall.

The Piccadilly on W. Bellfort does a booming business.

Interesting history. I didn't major in any field of business which is why I don't understand the progression from Luby's to Cafeterias, Inc., to Luby's Cafeteria's, Inc., etc. I've learned never to start getting used to any business keeping its name for very long. The next thing you know they will have merged with some other business and their name will have changed. I guess that Luby's kept its name because it was named after the founder.

Then I'll assume that Wyatt's Cafeteria was named after someone whose last name was Wyatt. But I really wonder if there was actually someone whose last name was Piccadilly?

I don't think the L-C sign would still be there, since the building has been demolished. In the late 1980s it was a Chinese buffet place.

Your right, man I am loosing it! Please forgive Ms Bundy as her advocation is the study of those harmless creatures flying around us. Don't want to start another bird war. :P

After all she hid out in a Diner (L-C, Romana?) for protection with the others!

Edited by Vertigo58

Weren't all of the surviving Wyatt's purchased by Luby's or did things progress in another way?

I remember our Wyatt's along Avenue H in Rosenberg, right near the Richmond town line. It must've been built in the early-to-mid 80's based on what my parents remember. I think that was the first really nice, big and clean restaurant I'd been in in the city. They used to pass out gift certificates for free kids meals to us for perfect attendance at school. As Luby's it is just as nice, complete with drive thru and everything. Old photos of the area still hang on the walls... only the color scheme is really the only different thing at this point.

Now that we're on the subject of eating establishment, I've started remember cafeterias.<<northbeaumont

Anyone remember Albrittons? They had a few locations around town. My roomate tells me she used to go to the one on Stella Link as a kid and they had a lady playing an organ or piano or something there plus a kind of conveyor belt that brought some things around to you. Anyone ever hear of that? This would be back in the early to mid 60's I think.

Here you go, and a couple of others.

WeldonCafe.jpg

Kopper Kettle Cafeteria

KopperKettle.jpg

Suzanne Cafeteria

Suzanne.jpg

In regards to Weldons, which was a long, long,long time ago...it had a feature that I will never foget. I will always remember the conveyor belt along the sides of the place that carried all of the used trays and utensils. I have never forgotten that unique aspect of that resturant! :)

Now that we're on the subject of eating establishment, I've started remember cafeterias.<<northbeaumont

Anyone remember Albrittons? They had a few locations around town. My roomate tells me she used to go to the one on Stella Link as a kid and they had a lady playing an organ or piano or something there plus a kind of conveyor belt that brought some things around to you. Anyone ever hear of that? This would be back in the early to mid 60's I think.

There have been discussions of Albritton's on HAIF before, maybe even a thread devoted to them. Try the search feature and I'm sure you'll find something, possibly even pictures. I think the last one was on Waugh between W. Gray and W. Dallas.

There have been discussions of Albritton's on HAIF before, maybe even a thread devoted to them. Try the search feature and I'm sure you'll find something, possibly even pictures. I think the last one was on Waugh between W. Gray and W. Dallas.

this was all i could find, page 3

the panaderia at 4120 mckinney street used to be na "Albritton's Eats" (and nuevo leon in the late seventies)

4120mckinney_deco.jpg

4120mckinney_1978_deco.jpg

I seem to recall that Luby's sold some of their cafeterias fairly early on, and part of the agreement was that Luby's-owned cafeterias could not bear that name where non-Luby's owned cafeterias existed. This is the reason for the "Romana Cafeterias", which were identical to Luby's (even down to the little girl on the logo).

OK, help me out on this one. It sounds as if Luby's bought buildings where other cafeterias once operated. That's how I'm interpreting the part about their agreement not to name those buildings Luby's, which is why they called them Romana. But your first sentence says that Luby's sold some of their cafeterias. What am I missing?

• 4 months later...
luby's rules here. but there still are a few piccadillys. as for wyatts i cant think of any but i'm sure someone knows of one. they used to be big.

The Luby's in Orange didn't last long. It closed down only after a few years. Now a restaurant called "Richard's" has moved into the Luby's building. If Luby's didn't last in that location because of access off of IH-10, then I wonder why Richard's think that they will do any better?

The Luby's in Orange didn't last long. It closed down only after a few years. Now a restaurant called "Richard's" has moved into the Luby's building. If Luby's didn't last in that location because of access off of IH-10, then I wonder why Richard's think that they will do any better?

i think the pappas people(or some other chain) bought them out. that might have to do with the closings.

Luby's was bought by Chris and Harris Pappas in 2001

Yes, I think I remember an article in Monday or Tuesday's Houston Chronicle about Luby's shareholders wanting Pappas to sell some stocks or something like that.

The two Luby's in Port Arthur are still open. One is in Central Mall and the other one is on the corner of State Highways 73 & 347.

There was also a Wyatt's on 43rd street & Ella. There was a Weingarten's across the street. Both closed sometime in the late 80's early 90's.

Oh, yes! Memories of Americana. Going with my mother to buy groceries at Weingarten's. I remember their generic brand was Food Club. If it was on Friday, we'd then go to Burger Chef for the Friday fish sandwich special. We sometimes would go to Wyatt's whenever my dad had some overtime pay. I remember every food item being put in its own plate/saucer, even if it was just one roll. The chocolate pudding with the whipped cream and cherry on top in the fancy-shaped glass. What was the name of that old folk song, "Where have all the flowers gone?, Where have all the good times gone?"

Edited by northbeaumont

I remember two Luby's that have closed. One on Buffalo Speedway and the other in Town and Country. It was located in front of a parking garage for the mall. From what I remember it was always pretty busy. The one on Buffalo Speedway seemed to have a good bit of business also.

I remember two Luby's that have closed. One on Buffalo Speedway and the other in Town and Country. It was located in front of a parking garage for the mall. From what I remember it was always pretty busy. The one on Buffalo Speedway seemed to have a good bit of business also.

Maybe cafeterias in general have "seen their better days." Perhaps they're fated to fade away like roller rinks and drive-in movie theatres.

The Town and Country location is still in operation and very popular.

The Buffalo Speedway location was sold so that HEB can build a new store there. The new HEB center will extend to Bissonnet Avenue. Has anyone ever noticed the large covered swimming pool behind the existing shopping center on that corner? It may have been a spa.

The Buffalo Speedway location was sold so that HEB can build a new store there. The new HEB center will extend to Bissonnet Avenue.

Wow, right across the street from the Signature Kroger? I can understand wanting to compete with Kroger, but it still seems odd to build an HEB in that location considering that Central Market isn't that far away.

Ah that's good that the Town and Country location is still open. I read online that the Buffalo Speedway location closed because the land was getting too valuable.

Land value is something that I'm a pure imbecile at understanding. I read that one of the main reasons why drive-in movie theatres bit the dust was because of rising property values. Maybe someone can enlighten me on what all of that means.

Land value is something that I'm a pure imbecile at understanding. I read that one of the main reasons why drive-in movie theatres bit the dust was because of rising property values. Maybe someone can enlighten me on what all of that means.

Same reason why Astroworld closed.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah that's good that the Town and Country location is still open. I read online that the Buffalo Speedway location closed because the land was getting too valuable.

On page D3 in today's Houston Chronicle, there's a photo entitled "Not your parents' cafeteria." It says that it's a new Luby's prototype and that there will be 50 of them in the next five years. It looks to me like both a cafeteria and a drugstore soda fountain. Hey, that's pretty good. Sometimes I prefer sitting at a counter or vice-versa.