Full Member
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

22 Excellent

About isuredid

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • ICQ
  1. The only area I have heard referred to as five points is where Main-Cavalcade-Studewood-20th streets come together, but I have seen an article from one of the Houston newspapers in the 1870s where the editor was railing against several crime ridden areas of town that he called "The Five Points".
  2. where Buffalo Speedway got its name

    A good write-up on Shepherd's Dam
  3. Sgt. Ken Garnett, HPD

    Ken Garnett was seriously injured during a traffic stop around 1967 and had some brain damage. After recovering I believe he returned to HPD. I think he died about 10 years after that and may have commited suicide.
  4. old house

    Westheimer in that area was called Hathaway back then. My guess is that the house was at 120 Hathaway.
  5. old house

    Looking at old Sanborn Fire Insurance maps tells me that whenever that house was built, it was not original to that lot, but was moved onto that lot sometime after the 1920s. The old maps of that property show a one story house on that lot prior to that time. The city directories lead me to believe the original house on that lot may have been the parsonage for the First Unitarian Church. I also checked It appears that was an empty lot for many years up to at least 1981 prior to that house being moved onto the lot some time after that.
  6. I've never heard the name Johnny Casey associated with Jubilee Hall. As far as I know Jubilee Hall, The Family Hand, and Liberty Hall all had one common founder, Mike Condray. Mike aslo had various partners in these enterprises, Lynda Herrera, George Banks, and Ryan Trimble.
  7. Valian's Pizza...Mmmmm, Good!

    Pappas Seafood is exactly where that Valian's on Shepherd was located. They used part of the old Valian's building for that restaurant. When the builders of the Pappas Seafood restaurant were removing the facade of the other establishments that had been there after Valian's, they uncovered the old Valian's sign. I wish I had taken a photo.
  8. Street buried under building

    That area was the County Poor Farm at one time, so maybe the road is left over from that era
  9. Death of Governor Jester

    Bryan Burrough wrote about "Silver Dollar" Jim West and A.C. Martindale in "The Big Rich." A.C. Martindale was a police Lietenant and West rode with him often apparently. West and Martindale were cruising one night when they spotted a burglar breaking the window of a sporting goods store on Dowling and stealing a shotgun. They got out of the car and yelled "Halt" The thief opened fire with the shotgun and Martindale (and apparently West) shot back. The thief was hit, but so was Martindale in the shoulder and ankle. Ballistics showed the wounds did not come from the burglar. The book implied that it was West that shot Martindale, but Martindale claimed to have shot himself to cover for his friend.
  10. Death of Governor Jester

    I was going to ask that beat me to it..thanks!
  11. Death of Governor Jester

    Here is the Houston Press account: Body Undetected For More Than Two Hours in S.P. Rail Station The Southern Pacific's Austin-to-Houston train roared through the night on an apparently routine trip. Aboard it was Gov. Beauford H. Jester--dead. Sometine around 3:30 a.m. today Gov. Jester died in his sleep of coronary occlusion--in layman's language, a blood clot in the heart. At that time the train was going through Washington County. Not until a Negro porter tried to wake up the governor at 7:30 a.m., two hours after the train pulled into Houston's Grand Central Terminal, was the governor's death discovered. Gov. Jester's death, attributed to natural causes by Justice of the Peace Tom Maes and Dr. Howard L. Evans, automatically made Lt. Gov. Allan Shriver chief executive of the state. Burial will be in Corsicana Wednesday. The body was to be flown back to Austin this afternoon aboard a National Guard plane, with some 25 other state planes providing aerial escort. Governor Jester will lie in state in the Senate Chamber for four hours Tuesday. No One Knew He Was Coming The governor made the trip alone. Not even his most intimate friends, including Cotton Man Bob Henderson, his boyhood friend in Corsicana and his Harris County campaign manager, knew he was coming to Houston. A State Highway patrolman had been notified to meet the 56-year-old chief exectutive of Texas at the Houston station. "It was a secret trip--we knew nothing of the governor's plans" said Capt. Glen Rose of the Houston area of the Texas Highway Patrol. From what police gathered, the governor, worn by the recently concluded session of the Legislature, plannd to meet an unidentified Houston friend and the two were to spend a few days resting at Galveston Bay. It was later ascertained that the Governor's Houston friend who knew about his plans to get away for a few days rest was Lumberman Jim Rockwell. Mr. Rockwell had engaged a fishing boat and place for the governor to stay on Galveston Bay. State Highway Patrolman W.B. Hawkins was to meet the governor and either he or Capt. rose was to have driven him to Galveston Bay were, away from telephone, the governor planned to relax,rest and fish. Verdict Was Natural Causes Capt. Rose was called to the depot by Patrolman Hawkins, who was the officer assigned to meet the governor. E.A. Craft, Southern Pacific executive vice-president, rode from Austin on the same Pullman with the Governor, but didn't know Gov. Jester had died until after he reached the station in Houston. Word of the governor's death, broadcast by newspaper extras and the radio, brought a number of the governor's friends to the railroad station. Among them were Mr. Henderson, who notified Mrs. Jester and went to Houston Funeral Home to view the body. Rep. Jimmy Pattison of Fort Bend County, Mayor Holcombe and City Attorney Will Sears. The mayor immediately ordered all public flags at half-staff. "I've known Beauford since we were boys together at Corsicana" said Mr. Henderson. "I never knew he suffered from heart trouble." He was always a hard rugged hard-working individual who didn't spare himself. "The strain of the session killed him" said Rep. Pattison. The governor got on the train alone at Austin at 11:25 and went directly to Lower Berth Five on the Pullman "Berkeley" He donned light blue pajamas and retired immediately after leaving word to be aroused at 7:30 a.m. in Houston. Porter Tried to Wake Him Up At 5:30 a.m. the train arrived at the Grand Central Station on Washington and was switched from track 1 to tract 2. At 7:30 a.m., Pullman Porter Charles Jimerson, 66, of 1202 Ruthven, went to wake up the governor. "It's time to get up" he said softly. He repeated this several times. Then Jimerson shook the governor by the shoulders. "I knew something had happened and called the conductor." related the porter. Pullman Conductor C.D. Pierce and Patrolman Hawkins went to the lower berth, which was directly in the center of the car facing north. "I turned on the light and pulled the curtains apart." said Patrolman Hawkins. "The governor's expression was calm, but it was apparent he had been dead for some time. There was no pulse. I opened his eyelids and remarked, "Gov. Jester is dead." As Patrolman Hawkins notified Captain Rose, Conductor Pierce told the news to D.R. Kirk Jr. 7016 Texarkana, assistant train master, and S.R. Hay, assitant special agent for Southern Pacific. They in turn notified Station Master C.M. Blackburn of 2612 Greenleaf, whose dispatcher put in a call to police. The time of the notification was 7:45 a.m. Justice of the Peace Maes and Dr. Evens made their medical examination at 8:19 at which time Dr. Evens said Gov. Jester had been dead four or five hours. The justice of peace concurred. Railroad officials barred everyone but the doctor and the justice of the peace from the train. The body was taken to the Houston Funeral Home, where Mr. Henderson and Rep. Pattison got in touch with the governor's family in Austin. Mr. Henderson was at home when he heard a radio broadcast, and Mr. Pattison was 15 miles from Houston, driving when he heard the newscast. City Detectives L.C. Watts, Lloyd Barrett,John Irwin, and Frank Murray investigated the death. Mr. Henderson said the governor told him he was tired physically from the strain of the legislative session in two conversations one six weeks ago and the other just two ago. "He Was a Good Governor" "But none of us knew he had any heart trouble." said Mr. Henderson. "We knew he had colon trouble. What a shock this is. You know, Beauford Jester always wanted to be governor. He was a good governor, and a good man. He never wanted to hurt anybody's feelings." Rep. Pattison said in recent weeks, Gov. and Mrs. Jester and he and his wife had started taking square dance lessons. "The governor was a square shooter." said the Fort Bend County representative, who with the aid of the governor suceeded in getting legislation through that will greatly assist the state's eleemosynary institutions. In Austin, Mrs. Jester was described as "too stunned yet to know anything." She is at the governor's mansion and remained in her upstairs room after being notified of her husband's death. With her were two of the three children, Beauford Jr, and Joan. A third, Barbara (Mrs. Howard Burris) was in New York. Had Boat Ride Yesterday The governor took a boat ride on Lake Austin yesterday with his family and staff, the United Press reported. At that time Gov. Jester complained of being tired. Just a week ago, Gov. Jester suffered an attack of food poisoning and was confined to the mansion for most of the day. He worked last Saturday on legislation piled up on his desk as a result of the 51st Legislature's final adjournment. The flag of Texas was lowered to half-mast at the capitol. Governor Jester's funeral procession began today in Houston. His body will go from Houston Funeral Home to Ellington Field, escorted by members of Headquarters Battalion, 41st Artillery of the Texas National Guard. commanded by Brig. Gen. Lewis Thompson of Houston. The arrival at Ellington is set for 4 p.m. The governor's body will be taken aboard his favorite plane, a craft named in honor of his beloved state's flower, The "Blue Bonnet" is a National Guard C-47, flown in from Austin today shortly after the tragic news was released. It is from the 181st Fighter Squadron of San Antonio. The pilot will be Brig. Gen Harry Crutcher of Dallas, commanding officer of the 63rd Fighter wing. Texas Air National Guard, and the co-pilot, Lt. Col John B. (Bill) Nottingham of Houston. A flying escort of 25 F-51 fighter planes will go from Ellington to Austin, their numbers drawn from the 111th Fighter Squadron in Houston, the 181st of San Antonio, the 182nd of Dallas--All Texas Air National Guard squadrons. The body was to be accompanied by Adjutant General K.L. Berry. The body will lie in state from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. tomorrow in the Senate Chamber at the capitol. Brief funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. and the body then will be taken to Corsicana where services will be held on Wednesday.
  12. Death of Governor Jester

    I noticed that one of the detectives assigned to go to the train station was also named Barrett - Lloyd Barrett. Do you know if he was a relative? I still have the Houston Press account to type up. It doesn't add much, but it contains a few additional details.
  13. Death of Governor Jester

    I figured the Houston newspapers would have the most thorough coverage since Govenor Jester's death was discoverd here. I went to look at the articles from that day and the next. One of the articles actually mentions L.M. Barrett so I can verify that he was indeed on that train. The funeral home was the Houston Funeral Home. I don't think the Ray Duval Funeral home existed yet in 1949. No mention in any of the articles of C.V "Buster" Kern. There was one photo of "large crowds" of friends of the Governor and reporters in the Southern Pacific Station, but they appeared to be clustered in groups and milling about talking. Here is the most pertinent Chronicle article from July 11, 1949. The day the Governor died. Porter Discovers Governor Dead in Pullman Berth Maes Says He Believes Executive Died About 3 a.m.; Shriver Gets Word on Farm Near Woodville Beauford Halbert Jester, who had been governor of the State of Texas since Janurary, 1947 died of an apparent heart attack early Monday morning in his berth aboard a Southern Pacific train en route to Houston. An Inquest verdict of death due to natural causes was returned by Justice Tom Maes, who with Southern Pacific Hospital doctors conducted the medical investigation. Justice Maes placed the time of death at about 3 or 4 a.m. Mondy while the governor slept in his berth. Governor Jester was lying on his back when his body was discovered, and death apparaently came peacefully. His hands were folded across his stomach, police said. The governor was dressed in pajamas. He was the first Texas governor to die while in office. While two state highway patrolmen formed an honor guard over the governor's body in the Houston Funeral Home, funeral arrangements were being drawn up in Austin. With the governor's death, Lieutenant Governor Allan Shrivers immediately assumed the state's top executive position. Shrivers received word of the governor's death while on his farm near Woodville. The body of the 56-year-old governor was discovered by Charlie Jimmerson of 1202 Ruthven, negro porter in Governor Jester's Pullman. Jimmerson had gone to awaken him about 7:30 a.m. First word of the governor's death was received when railroad officials at the station telephoned Homicide Lt. W.P. Brown of the Houston police department about 7:55 a.m. Monday. The lieutenant immediately dispatched three homicide detectives, Lloyd Barrett, L.L. Watts, and Frank Murray, to the station to begin an investigation. The governor occupied a lower berth on the Pullman "Berkley", part of the Southern Pacific night train from Austin. The train left there at 11:30 p.m. Sunday and arrived here at 5:15 a.m. Monday. Travelling alone, the governor was en route to Houston where he was to be met by state highway patrolmen who were to escort him to Galveston friends said. He had planned to remain in Galveston for a few days to rest up and fish. The governor decided on the short vacation because of a "strenuous legistative session" the friends added. According to the porter, Governor Jester boarded the train about 11:15 p.m Sunday in Austin, and began to retire for the night about five minutes later. The porter summoned the train conductor, C.D. Pierce of 451 Dubarry Lane, after efforts to awaken the governor at 7:30 a.m. failed. Jimerson pointed out that the governor had left a call for 7:30 a.m. When the effors of the conductor and the porter failed to awaken Governor Jester, State Highway Patrolman W.B. Hawkins, who had been waiting at the station since 7:05 a.m. to pick the governor up, was summoned. The patrolman went into the berth and called to the governor, at the same time shaking the mattress to try and rouse him.Governor, Governor, this is Hawkins. Don't you know me? the patrolman called. Hawkins, when the governor did not respond to the call, pushed open Governor Jester's eyelids, then said: "The governor is dead." C.M. Blackburn of 2612 Greenleaf, the station master notified the Houston police department of the governor's death. The Austin Train comes into the station on Track 1 and remains there about 15 minutes before it is shunted to Track 2. There the train stays until the Pullmans are cleared. However, when the governor's death was discovered the rest of the train was pulled away and the governor's Pullman remained on Track 2. Justice Maes, after an examination of the body with Dr. H.L. Evans, a surgeon on the staff of the Southern Pacific Hospital here, expressed belief that the governor, at about 8:19 a.m. had been dead about "four or five hours" The doctor, who prounounced the governor dead at 8:18 a.m., refused to talk to reporters about the possible cause is believed to be coronary occlusion. Robert W. Henderson, who served as the governor's campaign manager in Harris County, contacted Mrs. Jester in Austin to make funeral arrangements. Mrs. Jester instructed Henderson to tell the funeral home attendants to embalm her husband's body and hold it at the funeral home pending further disposition. "Don't let anyone see the body" she told Henderson to tell the attendants. "I don't know why Governor Jester came to Houston" Henderson told reporters. "I knew nothing of his plans or of any illness from which he might be suffering." Mayor Oscar Holcombe, who was called to the station by E.A. Craft, executive vice-president of the Southern Pacific Lines in Texas and Louisiana. arrived at the depot after the body had been removed from the Pullman berth. Mr. Craft had been a passenger in the Pullman but left the train before learning about the Governor Jester's death. This is from the Houston Post on July 12, 1949. This is just a portion of this article: The last man to see Governor Jester alive was Pullman Porter Charlie Jimmerson, 66, of 1202 Ruthvan, the porter on duty in the Pullman which the governor boarded at 11:15 PM Sunday night. The governor was alone. Jimmerson took the governor's bags while the governor went back to the station and exchanged his reservation slip. Jimmerson last saw Governor Jester at 11:25 PM when the governor was sitting on the edge of Lower 5 taking off his shoes. Governor Jester instructed Jimmerson to call him at 7:30 AM. The train pulled into the Southern Pacific station here at 5:15 AM. A state highway patrolman, W.B. Hawkins of 7330 Dixie Drive, who was instructed by Capt. Glenn Rose to meet the governor at 7:30 AM, came in the car about 7 AM and checked with the conductor. C.D. Pierce of 4515 Dewberry Lane. At 7:30 AM sharp Porter Jimmerson shook the curtains of Lower 5 several times then called to the governor. Getting no response Jimmerson called Conductor Pierce and Patrolman Hawkins. Patrolman Hawkins parted the curtains and called to the governor a number of times. Then he shook him and found that the governor's body was cold. A Pullman employee. L.M. Barrett, went to call the police and met Homicide Detective L.L. Watts, who was at the station to meet a friend. Detective Watts went immediately to the governor's berth, verified the fact that the governor was dead, and telephoned Homicide Lieutenant W.P. Brown, his superior. Lieutenant Brown assigned Detectives Frank Murray, J.G. Irwin, and Lloyd Barrett to the case. A physician, Dr. Howard L. Evans of 302 Hermann Professional Building was called. He pronounced Governor Jester dead at 8:18 AM. Doctor Evans said Governor Jester had been dead at least four hours, which would place his death at about 3:30 AM. Detectives Murray and Irwin stripped the governor's body, under the supervision of Justice of the Peace Thomans M. Maes, and examined it thoroughly. There were absolutely no marks of violence, and the unrumpled condition of the berth indicated the governor died peacefully in his sleep. The body in pajamas was on its back the hands folded over the stomach. The body was taken to the Houston Funeral Home. A Houston attorney, Roy I. Arterbury of 1612 North Boulevard occupied the berth directly across from that of Governor Jester. Mr. Arterbury was in his berth before Governor Jester got on the train and didn't know the governor was across from him until morning, when the porter told him. Mr. Arterbury said he was awake several times during the night and heard nothing from Governor Jester's berth. "When I left the car Governor Jester's berth was still curtained." Mr. Arterbury said. "and I thought to myself that he was sleeping rather late." Mr. Arterbury and Governor Jester were classmates at the University of Texas. Actually, the governor at the time of his death was on his way to Galveston for an appointment at 10 AM Monday with two heart specialists, where he had Dr. Edward H. Schwab and Dr. William L. Marr. But from what the doctors said, there had been no cause for alarm. The checkup was routine for a man of the governor's age after months of strenuous work. Dr. Schwab and Marr talked to the governor by telephone Sunday night just before Governor Jester left the capital. "I'm feeling fine" the governor told his doctors. Dr. Schwab said that previous examinations had shown the governor had no heart ailment Sunday the governor spent a busy day or rather a strenuous day. He gave an outing for members of his executive staff and his son Beauford Jr. He swam for an hour in the middle of the afternoon, went for a motorboat ride, and then played softball for about an hour. The group ate a picnic supper about 8 PM. After the supper, the governor led a sing-song. By 9:30 PM the governor admitted he was tired and called it a day. Governor Jester was a tireless traveller--by whatever means of transportation were at hand. Probably no other Texas governor has travelled so much during his term of office as Governor Jester. The passenger miles he had flown in planes must be in the hundreds of thousands. And he traveled without serious mishap, although within the past year he and Mrs. Jester had some anxious minutes when a private place in which they were flying had to make an emergency landing with its wheels up at the Austin Airport. Governor and Mrs. Jester were returning at the time from a barbeque Which Lieutenant Governor Shriver had given at Mission. Mayor Oscar Holcombe learned of the governor's death shortly after the body was found. The mayor went to the railroad station shortly after 8 AM, but the body had been removed from the Pullman and taken to the funeral home.