Annunciation Catholic Church At 1618 Texas Ave.

Vertigo58

I assumed there already was a topic on this magnificent Romanesque style church? This link gives good detail of it's beginning's to present.

http://www.abcsoffaith.com/artchurch/annuncc.htm

Been attending since childhood and although it has had fairly recent restorations it is in need once again. Can't help but notice the signs of rain coming through and paint peeling. You must take a tour one day to really appreciate it's grandeur. The narrow stairs leading to the pipe organ are a something else. You must study the intricate detail of the stain glass windows throughout and the gothic furnishings within. I could wonder in this place for hours examining every detail in the interiors.

Nicholas J Clayton - famed prominent Victorian Architect would be proud to see that it still stands today. :D

http://www.travelphotobase.com/s/TXXNC.HTM

Simply Magnifico!

30ad1185-c89a-4442-b101-23fac97fba0c.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58
  • Like 1

My grandparents were married there back in 1930 or so. Our family used to go there on Easter Sunday in the 80's. Boy has that area changed since then!

That is so cool. I am happy to report that the church still retains and follows traditional mass and the long time parisoners for the most part still bring the whole family. On recent Palm Sunday everyone gathers in the outside courtyard for the blessing of the palms. Then follow back inside for the remainder of the mass. Very traditional. I must mention they have some of the best singers in a choir I have ever heard. Must hear live. :P

• 6 months later...

So how many downtown area Catholic churches are there? At least three?

I know the Hispanic parish, St. Joseph's, is fairly close to downtown. It was well known in the 1970s for its "mariachi" Mass.

Isn't Annunciation church a Nicholas Clayton design? [Oops! That was mentioned above.]

Edited by WillowBend56

So how many downtown area Catholic churches are there? At least three?

I know the Hispanic parish, St. Joseph's, is fairly close to downtown. It was well known in the 1970s for its "mariachi" Mass.

Isn't Annunciation church a Nicholas Clayton design? [Oops! That was mentioned above.]

I can only name the Roman Catholic churches/cathdedrals.

If St Joseph is the one near Houston Ave then..

1. St. Joseph

2. Annunciation Church on Texas Ave

3. Our Lady of Guadalupe on Navigation

4. The very GRAND Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral (and old one)

There is a very tiny one in the basement on Main Street next door to CVS? If it still there? Many of us office workers used to all go there once a yr for Ash Wednesday but that is the only time. Cant think of the name though. If you blink you miss it. Very rare for such a mad world just up above.

Annunciation is in real need of another overhaul. -_-

That is so cool. I am happy to report that the church still retains and follows traditional mass and the long time parisoners for the most part still bring the whole family. On recent Palm Sunday everyone gathers in the outside courtyard for the blessing of the palms. Then follow back inside for the remainder of the mass. Very traditional. I must mention they have some of the best singers in a choir I have ever heard. Must hear live. :P

There is also St. Nicholas (2508 Clay; est. 1887, oldest traditionally black parish in town) and Holy Rosary in Midtown.

Did the Diocese ever have Christ the King processions through downtown or elsewhere?

Our Lady of Guadalupe is one of the only ones I know of that still are hardcore "traditional" if thats what you are eluding to. Thats what some of us still love about them. Annunciation does or used to go out in the Garden for the Easter "Blessing of the Palms" but that was before they yanked out the garden and placed or enlarged the Girls shool next door. I just personally draw the line when they encourage parishoners to join in the anti abortion protests. Too dangerous and whole new topic.

I personally always wanted to go into every church in downtown (regardless of faith) and see what I (and hundreds of others) have been missing out on for decades/years. I respect any and all denominations and its the architecture that fuels my interest anyway! :P

Did the Diocese ever have Christ the King processions through downtown or elsewhere?

I think this is the kind of very traditional procession you are referring to although in Spain its still Roman Catholic. If you recall there was a scene in The Talented Mr Ripley where the same procession is seen but in Italia. It saddens me somewhat that mass has become so "modern" that everyone has lost the true protocol, most church's now are like a night at a typical stadium. Lost its origins big time. Your lucky to even fine ONE in Latin!

Oops! other topic I know.

• Like 1

I think this is the kind of very traditional procession you are referring to although in Spain its still Roman Catholic. If you recall there was a scene in The Talented Mr Ripley where the same procession is seen but in Italia. It saddens me somewhat that mass has become so "modern" that everyone has lost the true protocol, most church's now are like a night at a typical stadium. Lost its origins big time. Your lucky to even fine ONE in Latin!

Oops! other topic I know.

Holy Rosary used to have Latin mass. Maybe they still do; I wouldn't know since I was excommunicated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

In style of great European churches. Begun 1867 when Father Querat bought old Harris County Courthouse to get bricks for the foundation; completed 1874. Sacristy and steeple were added 1881-1884 from plans of Nicholas J. Clayton, a leading Texas architect of the late 19th century.

post-11672-0-70050000-1358928807_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing it for many years, I finally attended mass at Annunciation on February 3--a Novus Ordo mass, in fact.  Before mass, a couple who married there in 1950 came back for photographs and renewal of their vows.

What a gem! Definitely a Nicholas Clayton design.  It's a smaller space inside than it looks from the outside.  I noticed none of the windows opened .  I wonder if that was the case before air conditioning came along.

The adjacent Incarnate Word Academy looks relatively new.  When was it rebuilt?  Wasn't there a parish school in the same block?

After seeing it for many years, I finally attended mass at Annunciation on February 3--a Novus Ordo mass, in fact.  Before mass, a couple who married there in 1950 came back for photographs and renewal of their vows.

What a gem! Definitely a Nicholas Clayton design.  It's a smaller space inside than it looks from the outside.  I noticed none of the windows opened .  I wonder if that was the case before air conditioning came along.

The adjacent Incarnate Word Academy looks relatively new.  When was it rebuilt?  Wasn't there a parish school in the same block?

Incarnate Word Academy rebuilt it's buildings in the late 1980's, after selling the Mother House Convent and adjacent former Marian High School campuses in Bellaire.

• 11 months later...

✈ concord⁹⁷⁷ has added a photo to the pool:

Annunciation Catholic Church  Houston  Texas  20140205

The photo is level. It is the steeple that is leaning to the right!

© Curt Littlejohn / ✈ concord⁹⁷⁷ / aviationcolors

✈ More Aviation Photos, grouped by Aircraft Type

✈✈ More Aviation Photos, grouped by Airport Location

★★ More Non-Aviation Photos, grouped by City

Click here to view this photo at the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

The church will close down and undergo some major renovations March of this year. Mass will be held at Holly Cross Chapel on Main Street during the renovations. I don't remember all the renovations being done, but I think the church bulletin mentioned something related to hurricane Ike damage.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...