La Carafe (Oldest bldg. in Houston)

Twelve Spot

Cotton Exchange Bar

Blu Torch

Les Givrals (French Vietnamese Fusion)

La Tapatia bar and grill

Club Paesanos

Warrens

Market Square Bar and Grill (Great patio at back)

Treebeards Restaurant (limited hours)

CharBar (tailor by day, bar by night)

Red Cat Jazz Cafe (restaurant/bar)

Wasabi (Japanese)

Kim Son (Vietnamese)

FRANKLIN AVENUE/COMMERCE AVENUE (14):

Six Degrees Lounge (Formerly Dusk)

New Orleans Cajun Kitchen (formerly Kairo Caf

• Like 1

Off-topic, but maybe on too.....

I have something to confess, I work Downtown, spend a lot at the Park Shops (best place for low-hastle-day-before-Christmas shopping IMO), go the Angelika on a regular basis, etc. But, I have not spent much time on Main. I always favor Market Square if I do wander into the area at night.

This weekend though, I have out of towners coming in and want to show them around the hip new nightlife area we have. If they are over 30, in jeans and casual wear, what places do we walk into as we stroll down Main Street?

My favorite is the Flying Saucer. Casual...good crowd...and tons of beer selections from around the world.

http://www.beerknurd.com - check out that selection!

i've also enjoyed the new irish pub (maybe not so new anymore) on Main in the Rice Lofts bldg...don't remember the name of it off hand. Across the street from it is another irish pub, Slainte.

Places that allow jeans include:

Market Square/Franklin area:

La Carafe

Warrens

Twelve Spot

Cabo

Old Cotton Exchange Bar

Brewery Tap

Over by Commerce and main:

Speak Easy

Main:

Live (sports bar)

Deans

St. Petes Dancing Marlin

F2

Saba

Slainte

Shay McElroy

• 2 weeks later...

Bar Houston shut down at the end of August. This was the note on their website:

"We have chosen to not renew our lease. We decided to go out on top... Thank you for a great great 4 years! "

Have a Nice Day shut down over 1.5 years ago (but they never took down the sign outside). The space became part of Bar Houston and was renamed "Whiskey Chicks." (It's closed now too)

I hope some good bars/clubs will move in there so that it attracts more people. I think some more "upscale" nightclubs, maybe jazz-type would be good and perhaps attract the theater crowd (kind of like what Cotton Exchange tried to do).

The whole Bayou Place center is not doing well, from what I've heard. Hard Rock is the only place that is doing ok, but only because it gets the spillover crowd from Aquarium. I love Bayou Place, but it needs something.

I think Bayou Place should try and tap into that entertainment crowd that ventures to that side of Downtown. Since there is the Aquarium, Hard Rock Cafe, Verizon Theater, and Angelica, I think Bayou Place should try and build something along those lines there. I think a great idea would be some awesome bowling alley. I live in Hollywood now and I know there are some really"hip" bowling alleys here right off the Hollywood strip. They should build a cool bowling alley with a little bar and lounge so people can have some drinks while playing bowling.

I think Bayou Place should try and tap into that entertainment crowd that ventures to that side of Downtown.  Since there is the Aquarium, Hard Rock Cafe, Verizon Theater, and Angelica, I think Bayou Place should try and build something along those lines there.  I think a great idea would be some awesome bowling alley.  I live in Hollywood now and I know there are some really"hip" bowling alleys here right off the Hollywood strip.  They should build a cool bowling alley with a little bar and lounge so people can have some drinks while playing bowling.

Damn. What a great idea. A bowling alley.

• 3 months later...
FYI:

Just talked wth the workers in that building next to Slainte...they say the place still is going to be a Karoke bar, and that there is still about 3 months of work left.

Passed there today and there is a big metal sign up with the letters GLO carved into it. It looks pretty nice. From the looks of it, it's not looking like a Karoke bar but that's just my opinion.

I tell you guys what would be cool. There are these new places popping up in other cities (I know I'm comparing cities again ;) ) that are like Karoke bars but instead of singing along to your favorite song, there is a bar sized movie screen up on stage and people get up there and act out their favorite movie scenes along with the movie. From Rocky, A Street Car Named Desire, and Grease, to Star Wars, Purple Rain, Urban Cowboy, and your favorite Betty Davis flick. People get up there and basically make fools of themselves. But it's fun.

I may be out of the loop and late, but I haven't heard of any of those bars in Houston yet. It would be cool if this new "Glo" place turned out to be one of those, but somehow I doubt it.

• 4 weeks later...

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

It would be great if they moved downtown.

Then in September, Cedric Burgher, a former Enron vice president and most recently Halliburton treasurer, was named Burger King's chief financial officer.

Geez, what a resume.. Enron and Halliburton. I want to party with this guy.

Think he gets crap for his last name? :P

Jobs r jobs r jobs.

True. But the city did a piss poor job luring Boeing here when they wanted to relocate from Seattle. They eventually went to Chicago.

Simply having a glut of cheap, recently built office space available is not enough to lure Fortune 500's to downtown. Having a large and influential industrial-technology company like Boeing would have been much more beneficial than ending up with a corporate caretaker for a far-flung empire of burger franchises.

True. But the city did a piss poor job luring Boeing here when they wanted to relocate from Seattle. They eventually went to Chicago.

Simply having a glut of cheap, recently built office space available is not enough to lure Fortune 500's to downtown. Having a large and influential industrial-technology company like Boeing would have been much more beneficial than ending up with a corporate caretaker for a far-flung empire of burger franchises.

What? Boeing ruled Houston out in its initial search because it already had a presence in the Houston area. That's why it ruled out several locations. I think the state, and the city has done a tremendous amount of work creating jobs here in a time when jobs simly didn't exist. Give me burger king. I would hardly call a private multil-national; multi-billion dollar company a far-flung empire of burger franchises.

What?  Boeing ruled Houston out in its initial search because it already had a presence in the Houston area.  That's why it ruled out several locations.  I think the state, and the city has done a tremendous amount of work creating jobs here in a time when jobs simly didn't exist.  Give me burger king.  I would hardly call a private multil-national; multi-billion dollar company a far-flung empire of burger franchises.

Just because Boeing was relocating its headquarters didnt mean they were creating/moving jobs too. The manufacturing and R&D sites where bulk of Boeing jobs are stayed in Seattle and elsewhere. I think only about a couple of hundreds administrative jobs moved to Chicago.

However, it does help the prestige of a city when a company like Boeing is based there although it stayed in Seattle for so long that in the minds of most people Seattle is still the Boeing city.