Houston In The 1910s

wendyps

I just love looking this over and trying to make connections to today.

Lots of name changes and moved streets...lots of stuff exactly the same.

http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/arc/maps/images/map0435.jpg

I found this by following a link somehone had posted looking for an old street in midtown. There are a lot of great old maps on the website that you can look at online.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things I like:

Rice Institute

Shepherd's Damn?? Road

German Cemetary (now Washington Cemetary)

Our W. Dallas Road was called San Felipe Road (guess they moved it?)

Ballpark where the Gulf Freeway is now (near Crosby and Andrews)

Montgomery Road (west) is now N. Main

Montgomery Road (east) is now Fulton

Main Street Park is now Hermann Park

I love this stuff. This is why I collect old maps. I have a bunch of 1850's world maps with all kinds of intersting tidbits on them.

Things I like:

Rice Institute

Shepherd's Damn?? Road

German Cemetary (now Washington Cemetary)

Our W. Dallas Road was called San Felipe Road (guess they moved it?)

Ballpark where the Gulf Freeway is now (near Crosby and Andrews)

Montgomery Road (west) is now N. Main

Montgomery Road (east) is now Fulton

Main Street Park is now Hermann Park

I love this stuff. This is why I collect old maps. I have a bunch of 1850's world maps with all kinds of intersting tidbits on them.

Some of the changes have political roots. During and after WWI there was a lot of anti-German sentiment. Therefore, what used to be called German Ave. was changed to Canal Street. Also, the street formerly called Euclid was renamed Waugh in honor of a veteran killed in WWI.

I assume that what's now the 600 block of Marshall was renamed from Oxford Street, because Houston Heights already had a street by that name. There's a lot of odd little tidbits on that map for those who are familiar with Houston.

wellllll

strictly looking at blocks on maps, today, canal street is located six blocks south of navigation

in 1913, german st. was six blocks south of navigation

of course, block sizes could have changed, but...

on the 1913 map, german was two blocks north of sherman (with brady st. in between), and

today, canal is two blocks north of sherman (with brady st. in between).

soo...it appears that dbigtex is correct - and, could german have become sherman if sherman was already there (two blocks away?)

that hurt my eyes and brain :blink:

When I bought my house in Woodland Heights a couple years ago, a many times xerox'd copy of the upper left quarter of this map came with all the title stuff.

I thought it quite odd at the time because 1) my house wasn't built untlil 1926, and 2) my street, Teetshorn, wasn't even "on the map" yet.

But, it was cool to look at.

wellllll

strictly looking at blocks on maps, today, canal street is located six blocks south of navigation

in 1913, german st. was six blocks south of navigation

of course, block sizes could have changed, but...

on the 1913 map, german was two blocks north of sherman (with brady st. in between), and

today, canal is two blocks north of sherman (with brady st. in between).

soo...it appears that dbigtex is correct - and, could german have become sherman if sherman was already there (two blocks away?)

that hurt my eyes and brain :blink:

I'm just saying what the Sanborn map said.

I'm just saying what the Sanborn map said.

That's what make this sort of discussion interesting to me. It's like being Nancy Drew, but without the danger.

Another thought: if they changed "German" to "Sherman" all they'd need to do is lop off the G and add a Sh to the existing street signs. :D

That's not quite accurate. According to the Sanborn insurance maps at the Ideson Library, German St. became Sherman St.

The difference is AVENUE, not STREET. I am sure BOTH were renamed, big tex and you are both right, just different roads though. TAH-DAH, TJ saves the day AGAIN ! :D

Nothing to see here folks, keep moving....... keep moving.

On the 1913 map, it is interesting that there is a series of numbered streets, Second to Tenth Sts., north of Buffalo Bayou and west of Main, that are all gone now. There is also an interesting neighborhood where UH is now. The north-south streets are named after male saints, and the east-west streets are named after female saints. St Bernard eventually became Cullen, but the others are gone now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Not architecture related, but this photo from October, 1913 caught my attention because of its description:

"Eleven year old Western Union messenger #51. J.T. Marshall. Been day boy here for five months. Goes to Red Light district some and knows some of the girls."

03890r.jpg

Archived