Beaucoup Wings-N-Wings

Anyone tried it out? I've only been there twice already and so far, I've found it to be good. The owner is formerly of NOLA, but moved here after Katrina. Prices aren't bad, it's creole cuisene, great fries. The hot wings are good, not too dry or fatty and not those small wing sections they pass off at other places. I don't know what they do to the tartar sauce they serve with the fish, but they put a super NOLA twist on it. The interior's pretty basic yet adequate, and it sees a lot of college student traffic (myself included), seeing as it's across the street from UH and in the same center as a campus bookstore. They also have live music and spoken word on some nights.

Anyone tried it out? I've only been there twice already and so far, I've found it to be good. The owner is formerly of NOLA, but moved here after Katrina. Prices aren't bad, it's creole cuisene, great fries. The hot wings are good, not too dry or fatty and not those small wing sections they pass off at other places. I don't know what they do to the tartar sauce they serve with the fish, but they put a super NOLA twist on it. The interior's pretty basic yet adequate, and it sees a lot of college student traffic (myself included), seeing as it's across the street from UH and in the same center as a campus bookstore. They also have live music and spoken word on some nights.

Be sure to try their crawfish bread -- it's awesome. It's basically like garlic bread, but with some crawfish ettouffe baked on it. It's a bit messy as it sounds, but yummy!

Anybody tried the Banh Mi place next door yet? I keep forgetting about it...

I'll have to give both a shot. I've supported South Philly Steaks (and they've supported my ever-expanding waistline) ever since they opened. I like to do my part to patronize these types of establishments; they are very much welcomed as UH enhances its campus atmosphere.

Not to mention, there's not much else to eat around Scott/OST...just Timmy Chan's and the seven fast-food dwarves (McD, Sonic, Jack-in-the-box, KFC, Popeyes, etc.)

Not to mention, there's not much else to eat around Scott/OST...just Timmy Chan's and the seven fast-food dwarves (McD, Sonic, Jack-in-the-box, KFC, Popeyes, etc.)

The McDonalds was being demolished today to make way for a new McDonalds building, and the KFC is closed for renovations as well, leaving your only fast food eating choices in the Scott/OST corridor to be Sonic, Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, your place ;) , and Frenchy's inside HEB.

You've got to drive by the KFC if you can, there's a big sign outside, spraypainted on wood board that says "temporerly close". :lol:

You've got to drive by the KFC if you can, there's a big sign outside, spraypainted on wood board that says "temporerly close". :lol:

What's so funny about that? If you can read the sign, you ARE temporerly close to the KFC...until you start driving away, then you get progressively farther away. ;)

I noticed the McDonald's demolition last night after leaving "my place" with a sack of egg rolls. :) So are we gonna get a new "bad ass" McDonald's or what? I don't know what was wrong with the old one...it was just like every other McDonald's you've ever seen.

Back to the original topic, does the Wings place sell anything but wings? I'm a sucker for po-boys.

I noticed the McDonald's demolition last night after leaving "my place" with a sack of egg rolls. :) So are we gonna get a new "bad ass" McDonald's or what? I don't know what was wrong with the old one...it was just like every other McDonald's you've ever seen.

Back to the original topic, does the Wings place sell anything but wings? I'm a sucker for po-boys.

I've noticed that quite a few local McDonald's, especially the older ones, are being demolished and replaced with ones that have more "modern" architecture. The new ones really look more boxy than anything else.

Yep, they have po-boys!

• 9 months later...

I went by Beaucoup today to find it closed and found a note on their door stating that the landlord had changed the locks because the owners were behind on their payment. I hope they can get it all sorted out.

Thank god the Mcdonald's is being demo'd. It was a piece of crap! I remember they made such a big deal about it when they built it, so cutting edge, but it was a total failure. Hopefully the new one will be quite a bit nicer and be a bit more UH themed.

I've noticed that quite a few local McDonald's, especially the older ones, are being demolished and replaced with ones that have more "modern" architecture. The new ones really look more boxy than anything else.

This is sort of off topic, but I noticed that all of the Galveston McDonalds have been demolished and are being rebuilt (at a higher elevation) with updated architecture. I was dubious of this practice when I first started witnessing it in various places around Houston, but just try going to the replacement Jack In the Box at Telephone and Dumble at 12:30PM on a weekday...it's ridiculous how much parking they have, and yet how few spaces are available. Clearly, refreshed architecture has a tremendous impact on revenues, and I'll bet that they're realizing cost efficiencies in the kitchen too.

Thank god the Mcdonald's is being demo'd. It was a piece of crap! I remember they made such a big deal about it when they built it, so cutting edge, but it was a total failure. Hopefully the new one will be quite a bit nicer and be a bit more UH themed.

We were discussing the McDonalds on OST and Scott, not the one on Elgin at Cullen.

• 4 months later...

I hope they can find another location to set up shop.

And they might have. I don't know at this point if it's the same people, but there's a new place right next to Guy's Meat Market on OST called Beaucoup Bar and Grill. They have a fleur-de-lis as their logo, and I remember seeing one of those prominently displayed at the Elgin location. I'll have to make a call and see if they have set up shop in a new location, or if it's just someone with the same name.

And they might have. I don't know at this point if it's the same people, but there's a new place right next to Guy's Meat Market on OST called Beaucoup Bar and Grill. They have a fleur-de-lis as their logo, and I remember seeing one of those prominently displayed at the Elgin location. I'll have to make a call and see if they have set up shop in a new location, or if it's just someone with the same name.

Damn...if that's the case I'm gonna have to make a promise to myself that I can only eat at Guy's/Beaucoup if I walk there from my house. It's a pretty easy 1.5 mile walk across the freeway...even easier now that it's cool out. 3 miles round trip may not balance out a roast beef po-boy or 1/2 pound smoked hamburger...but I'm ok with that.

EDIT: I just googled, and it looks like it's the same Beaucoup...they've got the deep-fried hamburger!

Check out the website: http://www.beaucoupbarandgrill.com/

Damn...if that's the case I'm gonna have to make a promise to myself that I can only eat at Guy's/Beaucoup if I walk there from my house. It's a pretty easy 1.5 mile walk across the freeway...even easier now that it's cool out. 3 miles round trip may not balance out a roast beef po-boy or 1/2 pound smoked hamburger...but I'm ok with that.

EDIT: I just googled, and it looks like it's the same Beaucoup...they've got the deep-fried hamburger!

Check out the website: http://www.beaucoupbarandgrill.com/

HALLELUJAH! This is wonderful, now I can get my Beaucoup fix once again. :)

The McDonalds was being demolished today to make way for a new McDonalds building, and the KFC is closed for renovations as well, leaving your only fast food eating choices in the Scott/OST corridor to be Sonic, Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, your place ;) , and Frenchy's inside HEB.

I've started to boycott all those FF restaurants (McD, KFC, TacoHell, Pizza Hut, Sonic, and the like). I will see if this new wing place has any specials on Tuesdays.

Archived